Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

fitzyg wrote: »
    lads as soon as i got out of the exam i started crying... the invigilator told us 10 mins were left of S3 and then ended the exam 5 mins later(5minutes earlier than she should have), then apologised but said that another supervisor said we started a bit early? genuinely so pissed, missed out 7 S3 questions

Were you in trinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

Everyone that was in Trinity should email them

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

I had anticipated a points rise of about 10. I know it's impossible to tell but does anybody think there might be a drop or that they might stay the same? Seeing as the general consensus is that the HPAT was 'harder' than last year..?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fitzyg

OMGeary wrote: »
    Were you in trinity?

yes unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

They can't just give everyone in that centre the marks can they? Surely that's unfair on everyone else

Sure they can; they'll probably notice the disparity even without people telling them. Unless they're completely incompetent they'll be comparing various metrics from each venue to spot any potential issues or disparities.

As to precisely how they might try and make it more fair I don't know; but remember that their scoring system is entirely proprietary and they admit to using various statistical methods to determine actual scores.
    Also unfair how mentry students had access to at least 3 qs that came up. Id find it hard to believe that they''ll give those 200+ students an extra 5 marks

I would imagine it would be something more like:

If student was in TCD venue add the difference between the mean for that section in TCD and the mean for all other test venues which finished on time. It's still not entirely fair but it's something.
    Gosh, this whole HPAT system is so corrupt in countless different ways. It should be abolished straight away. I just fear that I'm going to be back doing it next year again.

I don't think corrupt is a fair assessment; aside from the lack of additional sample material and no opportunity to access past papers they seem to do a pretty decent job. Possibly their re-use of UMAT material is also an issue; those are the questions that tend to come up as being "leaked" every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tcd123

Yes absolutely everyone who sat it at Trinity should send a strongly worded email about it, it's so unfair to everyone who sat it there. 5 mins is a huge amount of time and more than likely nothing will be done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

I had anticipated a points rise of about 10. I know it's impossible to tell but does anybody think there might be a drop or that they might stay the same? Seeing as the general consensus is that the HPAT was 'harder' than last year..?

To be honest I think it might drop! Not by much maybe about 5 points each but i think it might it was pretty hard for everyone.

Also I feel bad for the ones at TCD, I was doing it in sligo, yhe timing was pretty much on point!

The wind chill temperature in section 1 definitely came up on the ME course in October I remember seeing the question (I didn't get it on the day but I got it today)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

I sent a rather lengthy email. I really hope something is done about it. I would of thought competent time management is a requirement for any invigilator.

otoolej2 wrote: »
    I sent a rather lengthy email. I really hope something is done about it. I would of thought competent time management is a requirement for any invigilator.

What annoyed me was how she said how it was such a 'high stakes exam' and then she was the one who did the major **** up

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DoctorBae

This is my second time doing the HPAT and I thought it was so much easier than last year, although last year it was just the LC that let me down (85th but only 525). S1 was fairly easy and I flew through the reading with a little bit extra at the end. S2 was easy as always, I mean its just common sense. S3 was more difficult than last year but I had time at the end to go through it and fixed a few answers. Fingers crossed that I did better than last year. It would be so awkward to go down.

Then again, I have done ME for 4 years now so I suppose that helped.

• Advertisement

That is kind of pathetic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

mhf55 wrote: »
    Also not fair that 200+ people didn't get to finish the exam :'(

Oh no I completely agree that it was unfair but in reality not everyone there would have got them all right so I just think some other way should be sorted to fix the problem! I'd just hate to miss out by a point or 2 and someone that did it in trinity get med just by getting awarded those marks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Debzc

Second year that those who did ME course knew some questions on the paper because ME knew what came up in UMAT. Not cool. ACER need to realise this flaw if they don't want to have to adjust marks each year.

Debzc wrote: »
    Second year that those who did ME course knew some questions on the paper because ME knew what came up in UMAT. Not cool. ACER need to realise this flaw if they don't want to have to adjust marks each year.

If you think people with ME are at an advantage then you should have done it. I mean its happened a few times, it was clearly going to happen again. Don't be bitter because you lacked the foresight to do the most popular prep course.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

DoctorBae wrote: »
    That is kind of pathetic tbh

Im presuming and expecting nothing to be done, like theres no standardised way they can rectify the situation. But there is nothing wrong with informing acer about the situation.

Im presuming and expecting nothing to be done, like theres no standardised way they can rectify the situation. But there is nothing wrong with informing acer about the situation.

You're right, theres nothing they will do so emailing is a waste of your time and theirs. Don't be bitter just because you didn't finish - realistically you wouldn't have finished if you had the five minutes either

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Debzc

If you think people with ME are at an advantage then you should have done it. I mean its happened a few times, it was clearly going to happen again. Don't be bitter because you lacked the foresight to do the most popular prep course.

Not being bitter. ACER clearly state they don't want people being at an advantage simply because they have the finances to fork out €600 for a course. Some people are not as fortunate. You as an aspiring doctor should understand people's circumstances a bit better before judging. Maybe you should consider a lab tech job, less people for you to insult with your ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

You're right, theres nothing they will do so emailing is a waste of your time and theirs. Don't be bitter just because you didn't finish - realistically you wouldn't have finished if you had the five minutes either

Stop accusing people of being bitter.

Given an extra 5 minutes with 3 or 4 questions to go, most candidates would have been able to complete the exam.

Debzc wrote: »
    Not being bitter. ACER clearly state they don't want people being at an advantage simply because they have the finances to fork out €600 for a course. Some people are not as fortunate. You as an aspiring doctor should understand people's circumstances a bit better before judging. Maybe you should consider a lab tech job, less people for you to insult with your ignorance.

Wow, thats very harsh. As a person that hopes to be a doctor, one would assume that you would be able to handle criticism without throwing around ableist and classist insults. It is not my fault that I was able to do all that I can to remain in the competition - because ultimately it is a competition - and Im very sorry that you fell behind. All the best with your (possible?) medical career. I will certainly enjoy mine

Ah here 'DoctorBae' I think we're fairly justified being annoyed because we were cut 5 minutes short, we've all heard the stories of people missing medicine by a few points. not getting the same time as the rest of the country is unfair there's no two ways about it. We're completely justified in writing an email to them

• Advertisement

mhf55 wrote: »
    Ah here 'DoctorBae' I think we're fairly justified being annoyed because we were cut 5 minutes short, we've all heard the stories of people missing medicine by a few points. not getting the same time as the rest of the country is unfair there's no two ways about it. We're completely justified in writing an email to them

The timing isn't that tight. I was also in TCD and finished with time to spare. But I suppose I shouldn't judge others for their shortcomings

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

If this was a section 2 question, we would not be considered bitter. We would be concerned about our future due to an unfair disadvantage as 5 minutes is 12.5% of sec 3 which is a large portion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Points went down this year due the restructured marking scheme, single sitting rule and a slight drop in candidate numbers. Unless the amount of people sitting the exam is about 500+ more this year compared to last I cannot see points everywhere rising by 10! Whenever the mature students get their results (in April I think?) we will find out what the respective percentiles are and we should be able to make a decent estimate at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Also unfair how mentry students had access to at least 3 qs that came up. Id find it hard to believe that they''ll give those 200+ students an extra 5 marks

No to be fair I did M.E and I only recognised one of the cartoons in Section 1 and even at that the question was different so it wasn't any benefit unfortunately..

I dont understand why everyone is ganging up on me. Im just sharing my experience like you guys are sharing yours. This really isn't fair.

Nobody would be ganging up on you if you weren't being so arrogant, contemptuous and if you stopped being a bit of a c*** in all fairness and honesty..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

yoyojc wrote: »
    No to be fair I did M.E and I only recognised one of the cartoons in Section 1 and even at that the question was different so it wasn't any benefit unfortunately..

Yeah I'm the same!! Didn't recognise anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Lads just leave it, it's not going to achieve anything.

yoyojc wrote: »
    Lads just leave it, it's not going to achieve anything.

Thank you. At least Im not the only mature person here.

Apologies if my confidence and my relief at the fact that I think I did well are unsettling, I will try harder.

Somebody who is evidently repeating hasn't got a foot to stand on regarding knowing they did well. Whenever you get your results and they turn out to be great, then you have licence to flaunt but until then pal.. keep it quiet because if you don't get it you'll look like a right tool(again) ;)

• Advertisement

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Somebody who is evidently repeating hasn't got a foot to stand on regarding knowing they did well. Whenever you get your results and they turn out to be great, then you have licence to flaunt but until then pal.. keep it quiet because if you don't get it you'll look like a right tool(again) ;)

Cute, but I got 85th last year so I reckon my bets are safe. Like I said, its just June I need to worry about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement