Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Study after study has been done showing that the HPAT does not discern good doctors.

One study gave Consultant surgeons a sample HPAT and they scored worse than the 6th year applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dasey

shakywaky wrote: »
    When do non-leaving certs get their results, i.e people who repeated hpat and are in college? Do they get them in April or June?

I think if you have been born before 93 you get your results in April! If not, its June with the LCs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

Can anyone remember what they got for the question with the 3x3 block of colours, the two questions where they made up a box and told you like a row and a column and asked could you predict the colour of any blocks?

As long as I remember I chose no position can be predicted for one of them. what did you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

vladd25 wrote: »
    As long as I remember I chose no position can be predicted for one of them. what did you choose?

I think I chose that you could be certain of the position of 1 colour for the first question. I think it was 2 red 1 green in first row and red blue green in first column.. my rationale was that you'd know that there was a red square in the common square between the row and the column..? could've been wrong..

also I chose the option that you couldn't determine the colour for one of the options...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Username2222

Ya I also said no position for those 2 and 1 position for the first question. No idea if its right though. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

dasey wrote: »
    I think if you have been born before 93 you get your results in April! If not, its June with the LCs! :)

Getting closer and closer to being a mature student. :'( I remember the good old days when I was young. Now I'm old and have responsibilities. *sigh*

I think I chose that you could be certain of the position of 1 colour for the first question. I think it was 2 red 1 green in first row and red blue green in first column.. my rationale was that you'd know that there was a red square in the common square between the row and the column..? could've been wrong..

also I chose the option that you couldn't determine the colour for one of the options...!

If those were the colours given, it may as well be green in the common square between the row and the column. So, we aren't certain about any position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Out of curiosity, when did they change the cao applications so applicants had to apply to medicine by February 1st?

If those were the colours given, it may as well be green in the common square between the row and the column. So, we aren't certain about any position.

Hm yeah but I don't think there was an option for 0 for that Q?

What did people say for the ratio for the composers question? I said 1:3 , 1:1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Sounds about right.

I only realised after that I messed up the multiplication question quite bad; such a horrible feeling. Part of me thinks it might be useful to know which ones I got wrong and another part of me thinks it's just torturing ourselves over something we can no longer change.

• Advertisement

Yep, that's my answer as well.

Murphy3 wrote: »
    I know everyone want to forget about it now but just wondering- the cartoon question with man and woman looking the same, I said bluntly frank for first one and confused I think for 2nd q? Also was doc -patient q with man demenising about war, treat doc with deferential attitude? Thanks!
    I said deferential as well I don't think it was as strong as admiration..

For the first cartoon I said she couldn't see her own faults or something..

What were the questions for the second cartoon again?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

I said deferential as well I don't think it was as strong as admiration..

For the first cartoon I said she couldn't see her own faults or something..

What were the questions for the second cartoon again?

Few! I couldn't remember after if it said deferential or derisive! No I dont think admiration either- he seemed very aloof.

I said the same for the first cartoon, the other option was something like copying others is flattery?

The first question was about the way the character said what he did, that it wouldn't work because they were nothing alike. Second question was how would the other character feel after hearing this.

Murphy3 wrote: »
    Few! I couldn't remember after if it said deferential or derisive! No I dont think admiration either- he seemed very aloof.

I said the same for the first cartoon, the other option was something like copying others is flattery?

The first question was about the way the character said what he did, that it wouldn't work because they were nothing alike. Second question was how would the other character feel after hearing this.

Oh yeah I don't think I said bluntly or frank because what he says clearly not true as they're both so similar I can't remember what option I actually chose..

And yeah I chose confused for the second bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

According to ACER, 2500 people were 'registered' to sit the exam this year, compared to 2560 who actually sat the exam last year. Looking like the increase/decrease in points is gonna be almost proportional to the change in mean HPAT scores which will be revealed in April. Given the exam was deemed to be 'harder' this year..potential for a second year in a row for a drop in med points?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

I don't understand why so many posters on here are dwelling on abolishing the Hpat. Its something we as aspiring med students must do, talking about how we should get rid of it is only wasting our time (until it actually is gotten rid of!). This year was my second time repeating the hpat, I found it a lot worse than last year but hoping nonetheless for that CAO offer come august! :) I know HPAT can seem unfair for people who can't afford prep courses. Last year I couldn't afford ME and so just did it without prep, I just focused on how I was doing it on my own and being honest I was jealous of others who had the benefit of doing the prep course. Getting an average score last June just made me realise that its the only course that I actually want to do, so I just worked and saved all summer to pay for the prep course this year. I may have been at a disadvantage last year without the prep course but without the HPAT I wouldn't have a hope of getting med with an LC result of 565 :P so for now Im grateful its in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

BBHenry wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many posters on here are dwelling on abolishing the Hpat. Its something we as aspiring med students must do, talking about how we should get rid of it is only wasting our time (until it actually is gotten rid of!). This year was my second time repeating the hpat, I found it a lot worse than last year but hoping nonetheless for that CAO offer come august! :) I know HPAT can seem unfair for people who can't afford prep courses. Last year I couldn't afford ME and so just did it without prep, I just focused on how I was doing it on my own and being honest I was jealous of others who had the benefit of doing the prep course. Getting an average score last June just made me realise that its the only course that I actually want to do, so I just worked and saved all summer to pay for the prep course this year. I may have been at a disadvantage last year without the prep course but without the HPAT I wouldn't have a hope of getting med with an LC result of 565 :P so for now Im grateful its in place.

Totally agree! It's gives everyone a chance and takes the pressure off a perfect LC!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 briosca

What order have ye all put colleges in for CAO? I currently have 1. TCD 2. UCC 3. NUIG 4. RCSI 5. UCD.
    This is based on the vibe I got from open days/talking to representatives at Higher Options but I'm rethinking UCC as I'm from Donegal and travelling up and down to Cork would be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

briosca wrote: »
    I'm rethinking UCC as I'm from Donegal and travelling up and down to Cork would be difficult.
    Not to put you off a college if you like it, but travelling up and down from Donegal to Cork wouldn't be just difficult, it would be a nightmare.

What order have ye all put colleges in for CAO? I currently have 1. TCD 2. UCC 3. NUIG 4. RCSI 5. UCD.
    This is based on the vibe I got from open days/talking to representatives at Higher Options but I'm rethinking UCC as I'm from Donegal and travelling up and down to Cork would be difficult.

Can I ask why you've put RCSI above UCD?

I've only one choice down. UCD. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 dasey

I have TCD, UCD, RCSI, UCC and NUIG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 briosca

Not to put you off a college if you like it, but travelling up and down from Donegal to Cork wouldn't be just difficult, it would be a nightmare.

No definitely, I actually considered Milan for a bit and it'd take me less time to get home from there than from Cork.
    woopah92 wrote: »

I've only one choice down. UCD. :cool:

I actually have UCD down merely as a formality. Not particularly interested in going there (not that I'd turn a place down). It's a huge uni + mandatory 6 years + every other med representative at Higher Options told me why they were better than UCD + the representative from UCD was really unhelpful and unfriendly.
    Everyone seems to look down to RCSI? I guess because it's just a college. I have a lovely chat with the people from there and I liked the community vibe they had going on.

To each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

woopah92 wrote:

I've only one choice down. UCD.

Why should UCD be above RCSI? I am an EU student and I am trying to figure out which should be my choices on CAO and I've visited those two unis just for half an hour and I could say that I liked RCSI more. Could you expand a bit on why UCD is better than RCSI?

Was it not 4 years/8 years, thus being 1:2? Cant really remember but think thats what I said

I actually have UCD down merely as a formality. Not particularly interested in going there (not that I'd turn a place down). It's a huge uni + mandatory 6 years + every other med representative at Higher Options told me why they were better than UCD + the representative from UCD was really unhelpful and unfriendly.
    Everyone seems to look down to RCSI? I guess because it's just a college. I have a lovely chat with the people from there and I liked the community vibe they had going on.

To each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just a warning, if you go to RCSI you'll have 350+ people in your year. A lot bigger than UCD, so I don't think size is too applicable.

I've spent a year in UCD and almost a year in RCSI. From a personal stand point, I much prefer UCD. I'd go straight into the 5 year for UCD so I suppose that factor doesn't apply to me (but premed is honestly meant to be one of the most fun years of college, ever).

I'm more so looking from a societies and extra curricular stand point. RSCI is very limited from that perspective, societies don't meet up on a regular basis. The way I've been taught hasn't been largely different from UCD tbh and once you have your medical degree, where it comes from won't matter too much. But exactly as you said, to each their own. :D

Why should UCD be above RCSI? I am an EU student and I am trying to figure out which should be my choices on CAO and I've visited those two unis just for half an hour and I could say that I liked RCSI more. Could you expand a bit on why UCD is better than RCSI?

I was just curious as the general popularity consensus over here would put UCD above RCSI!

For me, I just don't get the university feel in RCSI than I got in UCD. Education wise it's excellent though, couldn't fault it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

yeah about the ratio question I remember not being able to find one I was entirely happy with cause I had like 2:1,1:1 but it should have been 1:2, 1:1 for it to have been properly right as per the way I had it worked out. i can only but assume I was blinded by the pressure. did anyone find timing on section one a disaster?

emma35 wrote: »
    yeah about the ratio question I remember not being able to find one I was entirely happy with cause I had like 2:1,1:1 but it should have been 1:2, 1:1 for it to have been properly right as per the way I had it worked out. i can only but assume I was blinded by the pressure. did anyone find timing on section one a disaster?

Yes had no blind guess 40-44, for section 2 as well,I was only on question 64 when the invigilator said 10 minutes left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

emma35 wrote: »

I think the key to that question was noticing that for the first interval (i.e. the one most people decided was 1:2) in fact began slightly before a mark on the axis and ended slightly after the other mark... in other words it was actually slightly greater than 1:2 but the second part was most definitely exactly 1:1... thus 1:3, 1.1 should be the "closest" answer.

The next closest alternative I believe was 1:2, 1:2; which would have meant a relatively poor estimate for both ratios instead of an accurate estimate for one and a 'best' estimate for the other.

Anyway that was my reasoning; we'll probably never know which one was right though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

what was the longest self avoiding route?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement