Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

jessica379 wrote: »
    Hi, my seperate section results add up to more than my total score? When i add the results seperate i get 4 points more than what i scored. Is this normal?? Or is it marked wrong

It's normal; sections 1 and 2 are weighted differently to section 3 when they calculate your total score.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

mhf55 wrote: »
    Ucd was 730 and tcd 731 so 540 exactly for ucd if the points don't change

On qualifax it says both ucd and trinity are 733. Where did you get those points from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

LauraKc wrote: »
    On qualifax it says both ucd and trinity are 733. Where did you get those points from?

Final round offers. Qualifax just takes what the points on the first round were.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Final round offers. Qualifax just takes what the points on the first round were.

That's great actually! This means the points are slightly lower than I thought! Where are the points listed so?

That's great actually! This means the points are slightly lower than I thought! Where are the points listed so?

Im not quite sure, I found all the final round offer points from the 2014 HPAT thread because people were letting everyone know as they got their second round offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

I just have them written down but I think I got them from the trinity/ucd websites themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Still haven't looked at mine yet :X

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GavD97

I did the mdntry course, and the stimulated exams, which I got 95-100%ile in. But, I got no where near that in the real thing. I just don't know what I did wrong on the day, it just doesn't make sense. I can't stop feeling depressed and I feel like it is a message telling me not to do medicine anymore. 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

no one knows disappointment until they repeat the leaving and hpat and their hpat was good enough last year but is less this year. heres hoping ill still be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

mhf55 wrote: »
    Ucd was 730 and tcd 731 so 540 exactly for ucd if the points don't change

Qualifax says they were both 733 last year?
    emma35 wrote: »
    no one knows disappointment until they repeat the leaving and hpat and their hpat was good enough last year but is less this year. heres hoping ill still be okay

I'm sorry to hear that, but think if you have to do it again next year you'll have so much experience and if you've gotten it once you're capable of getting it again! Don't let it get you down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

Were the LCs harder or easier in any way this year than last year? I am not from Ireland and I wanted to know if the scores from the LCs tent to fluctuate from one year to another or if ther remain roughly the same so that I could assume if the final points are going to remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

I'm sorry to hear that, but think if you have to do it again next year you'll have so much experience and if you've gotten it once you're capable of getting it again! Don't let it get you down!

ah yeah I know its tough to take after a year of life on pause tho! thanks hope yours was what you hoped for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

I don't mean to be annoying but with a LC of 580 which is 556 when you adjust and a HPAT score of 174 which is the 84th percentile and I've also been accepted as eligible in relation to the HEAR scheme what are my chances for UCC or RCSI? Thanks.

I don't mean to be annoying but with a LC of 580 which is 556 when you adjust and a HPAT score of 174 which is the 84th percentile and I've also been accepted as eligible in relation to the HEAR scheme what are my chances for UCC or RCSI? Thanks.

You're in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

vladd25 wrote: »
    Were the LCs harder or easier in any way this year than last year? I am not from Ireland and I wanted to know if the scores from the LCs tent to fluctuate from one year to another or if ther remain roughly the same so that I could assume if the final points are going to remain the same.

They shouldn't really fluctuate because everything is marked on a bell curve.

You could compare it to percentiles if you wanted, as in only the top 3% get 550 points and above, roughly.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    You're in..

Thank you for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

Qualifax says they were both 733 last year?

I repeated both too and was 82nd so happy enough! Maybe try the list of courses posted earlier which first year counts as premed? Whatever you decide what's meant for you won't pass you by 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hermoinegirl94

Hey guys, hope you are all happy with the hpat results and if not are staying hopeful :-)
    I have a leaving cert adjusted score of 554 and in my hpat I got 87th percentile with a score of 177. Do I have a chance of getting medicine in trinity this year? (Of course I would be over the moon to get it anywhere but I'm just wondering)

Also just to say; I have completed two years of physiotherapy in trinity already and I can honestly say that if you are considering back up options for med it is a brilliant course as in first year you get to study anatomy and physiology in lectures with the medical students. The course in trinity is very medically oriented and focuses on building up clinical reasoning skills. You also get the privilege of working with Human Donors so you can work on achieving a solid knowledge of the structure of the human body. The lecture hours aren't too intensive (although the workload is quite heavy). Hope I may have helped those thinking of repeating their hpat while studying in university.
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RPR

When did you find out you were eligible for hear ?

Hey guys, hope you are all happy with the hpat results and if not are staying hopeful :-)
    I have a leaving cert adjusted score of 554 and in my hpat I got 87th percentile with a score of 177. Do I have a chance of getting medicine in trinity this year? (Of course I would be over the moon to get it anywhere but I'm just wondering)

Also just to say; I have completed two years of physiotherapy in trinity already and I can honestly say that if you are considering back up options for med it is a brilliant course as in first year you get to study anatomy and physiology in lectures with the medical students. The course in trinity is very medically oriented and focuses on building up clinical reasoning skills. You also get the privilege of working with Human Donors so you can work on achieving a solid knowledge of the structure of the human body. The lecture hours aren't too intensive (although the workload is quite heavy). Hope I may have helped those thinking of repeating their hpat while studying in university.
    X

I'd say you have a good chance with 731 as the points are unlikely to change much this year! 😊

• Advertisement

RPR wrote: »
    When did you find out you were eligible for hear ?

I got a letter stating I was eligible for HEAR last month

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

Really need to know information about doing a health care course for a year and then being able to skip first year of medicine and go straight into second year if the hpat goes well second time round?? It would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emmp21

DaveMc90 wrote: »
    Really need to know information about doing a health care course for a year and then being able to skip first year of medicine and go straight into second year if the hpat goes well second time round?? It would be much appreciated!

If you do biomedical science or radiography in UCD and get the HPAT the second time round you can skip the premed year and go straight into second year of medicine, that's the only way I've heard about but maybe there's a similar system in NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ASquib

Emmp21 wrote: »
    If you do biomedical science or radiography in UCD and get the HPAT the second time round you can skip the premed year and go straight into second year of medicine, that's the only way I've heard about but maybe there's a similar system in NUIG

I once heard that doing any course in UCD that has a biochemistry module in the first year, allows you to skip first year med UCD. Not 100% sure that this info is accurate however.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Okay sorry in advance. I did the hpat last year too and these annoyed the heck out of me but I never realised how desperate you feel :P
    I got 551 in the LC adjusted and 91st percentile 181 points in the hpat. Would you say I'm very likely to get offered a place in Galway? This is so unexpected, I can't let myself believe it yet. Thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

How far back in the thread was the list of first year courses that count as premed.
    Sorry...just found this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

How far back in the thread was the list of first year courses that count as premed.
    Sorry...just found this thread

I would ring or email ucd to be sure which ones exactly but as far as I know it's anything with biochemistry in the first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Queeferz

Okay sorry in advance. I did the hpat last year too and these annoyed the heck out of me but I never realised how desperate you feel :P
    I got 551 in the LC adjusted and 91st percentile 181 points in the hpat. Would you say I'm very likely to get offered a place in Galway? This is so unexpected, I can't let myself believe it yet. Thank you x

Yes, you probably have enough combined points for all 5

Does anyone know what the starting dates are for each of the medicine courses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

Would anyone recommend which of pharmacy in trinity or biomedical science in ucd you should do for a year before repeating the hpat? Also if applying for medicine in ucas also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement