Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

Is there any option to transfer from say NUIG to RCSI? After being in the college a few months? Thanks ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emmp21

Anyone hear if points are predicted to go down or up this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Magnate wrote: »
    They shouldn't really fluctuate because everything is marked on a bell curve.

You could compare it to percentiles if you wanted, as in only the top 3% get 550 points and above, roughly.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but why should it matter if the LC is marked on a bell curve in relation to the points for LC being kept quite stagnant?

Emmp21 wrote: »
    Anyone hear if points are predicted to go down or up this year?

I think they are going to be fairly similar as last year

Score of 158 62nd percentile, looking to score 590-610 in lc, anyone reckon I've a chance?

Score of 158 62nd percentile, looking to score 590-610 in lc, anyone reckon I've a chance?

if you get 610+ you could get into NUIG as long as points don't change from last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Keher123

Yay!! Are you going to Cardiff? For med? :)

Yea :) It's my insurance choice,but it looks very likely that I'll be going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emma123456

Hey everybody just wanted an opinion on my chances of getting a place. Just did the LC and hpat for the first time. I got 70th percentile and a of score 164. It's in or around what I expected to be honest, I worked really hard from the beginning of January on but just couldn't afford to do it before what with the LC and all. Anyway, just wondering what kind of LC points I need for a place, don't really mind where. I know points can fluctuate but a rough estimation will do if I have a chance at all! Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

emma123456 wrote: »
    Hey everybody just wanted an opinion on my chances of getting a place. Just did the LC and hpat for the first time. I got 70th percentile and a of score 164. It's in or around what I expected to be honest, I worked really hard from the beginning of January on but just couldn't afford to do it before what with the LC and all. Anyway, just wondering what kind of LC points I need for a place, don't really mind where. I know points can fluctuate but a rough estimation will do if I have a chance at all! Thanks!!

I'd say you're looking at needing 585 ish+

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emmp21

Anyone take a year out to repeat the hpat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Hi, I have just finished 5th year and I have been considering Medicine for my CAO next year. Im aiming for about 540pts, would this be enough? Im a bit unsure about how the process works with leaving cert points and the HPAT etc.

• Advertisement

Emmp21 wrote: »
    Anyone take a year out to repeat the hpat?

Ici ici :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Murphy3 wrote: »
    Is there any option to transfer from say NUIG to RCSI? After being in the college a few months? Thanks ðŸ˜
    The general principle is that you won't be allowed to transfer into a course you didn't have the points for in the first place (I'm sure you can see why).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

nah i think 733 could get tcd this year :) 15 point drop isn't totally unrealistic

Right I posted that this time last year, when i too was trying to calculate my odds of med!
    This year HPat points are down slightly on last year. But if you compare the two curves on the HPat website they are quite similar. By comparing the 2014 v 2013 curve last year i could see that the scores for each percentile were about 15 less in 2014 - ie. a 15 point drop was to be expected.

However, comparing 2014 v 2015 there is maybe a 2-5 point drop. I'm not saying this will be it but just from my guesses... so TCD at about 728-730ish.
    I'm just posting this to stop all the what are my chances posts It could be more, it may very well be less.
    Also even if you got 21st percentile or 67th or 99th percentile - if you still want med LEAVE IT ON YOUR CAO.

I know three peeps who removed med from their CAO's when they saw low HPat results, only to find out the drop was across the board. One would have even gotten TCD! its doing no harm sitting there!

Well done to ye all! No matter what, have a great summer & college is great craic <3

Hi I'm just wondering whether the fact that more people than previous years took medicine off their cao in 2014 thinking that they had no chance ( as points have obviously dropped quite a bit), for example if someone got 170 they could have gotten in with a LC of around 565+. My question is this, could the big point drop last year compared to other years be down to the fact that more people than before took medicine off their cao thinking they didn't have a shot when in fact they could have got it?

I know three peeps who removed med from their CAO's when they saw low HPat results, only to find out the drop was across the board. One would have even gotten TCD! its doing no harm sitting there!
    ;)

Hi I'm just wondering whether the fact that more people than previous years took medicine off their cao for medicine thinking that they had no chance ( as points have obviously dropped quite a bit), for example if someone got 170 they could have gotten in with a LC of around 565+. My question is this, could the big point drop last year compared to other years be down to the fact that more people than before took medicine off their cao thinking they didn't have a shot when in fact they could have got it?

There would have to be astronomical amounts of people doing it for it to drop 15 points, cannot imagine hundreds of 75th+ percentilers doing something as idiotic as that..

My question is this, could the big point drop last year compared to other years be down to the fact that more people than before took medicine off their cao thinking they didn't have a shot when in fact they could have got it?
    Not really imo.

As above poster said:
    By comparing the 2014 v 2013 curve last year i could see that the scores for each percentile were about 15 less in 2014 - ie. a 15 point drop was to be expected.
    ... there was quite a significant difference between last year's HPAT scores and the previous year's (due I think to different weighting for sections, etc., not because last year's students were less intelligent! :D) and that would have been by far the biggest factor.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    There would have to be astronomical amounts of people doing it for it to drop 15 points, cannot imagine hundreds of 75th+ percentilers doing something as idiotic as that..

Yeah I guess your right! I'm underestimating people I guess! :o
    Not really imo.

As above poster said: ... there was quite a significant difference between last year's HPAT scores and the previous year's (due I think to different weighting for sections, etc., not because last year's students were less intelligent! :D) and that would have been by far the biggest factor.

Yeah but is the demand for medicine not decreasing a tiny tiny bit? I'm sure that wouldn't affect points for round 1 offers would it? Less demand and points go down and all that? Sorry for bugging you!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Yeah but is the demand for medicine not decreasing a tiny tiny bit? I'm sure that wouldn't affect points for round 1 offers would it? Less demand and points go down and all that? Sorry for bugging you!:confused:

Demand for medicine went up this year slightly. I read somewhere HPAT takers increased over 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1 arsenalfan14

Anyone know what the highest score was this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Hi, I have just finished 5th year and I have been considering Medicine for my CAO next year. Im aiming for about 540pts, would this be enough? Im a bit unsure about how the process works with leaving cert points and the HPAT etc.

You should aim for minimum 550 leaving cert points for the best chance because after that every 5 points gives you 1 point

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

ah no i'm pretty sure the couple of people who did something like that would have very little impact on the overall result.
    I've alot of friends who came from grinds schools and i'm in med at the moment so ive heard alot of horror stories. I wouldn't think it's widespread at all - just a silly thing to do that i wanted to warn ye about!

Anyway, it's better for all ye to think that the points drop was compleatly due to 1) a slight drop in applicants, and 2) a large drop in score :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Anyone know what the highest score was this year?

At least 232.

ronivek wrote: »
    At least 232.
    If it's anything like other years though, there were probably only a handful over 200.

There are always a few outliers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

If it's anything like other years though, there were probably only a handful over 200.

There are always a few outliers ...

Yeah; 188 was the 95th percentile and the 99th was a little under 200. Considering there are around 3 000 applicants for around 400 places the majority of people receiving offers will have a HPAT of less than 188.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emma123456

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    I'd say you're looking at needing 585 ish+

Thank you!!!

Morning all! Just wondering whether an increase of LC points could impact cao offer points?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've alot of friends who came from grinds schools and i'm in med at the moment so ive heard alot of horror stories. I wouldn't think it's widespread at all - just a silly thing to do that i wanted to warn ye about!

You would certainly hope that anyone getting 550 points or more would have the cop on to read and understand the instructions regarding CAO choices.
    Maybe they should sell 'A1 notes on the CAO'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 umar3061

Can i do the first year of biochemistry in any college to skip premed in ucd, or do i have to do biochemistry in ucd?and what would be the easiest course to do to skip premed?can I also skip premed in nuig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Hermoinegirl94

I think the highest hpat score this year was in or around 215

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement