Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I think the highest hpat score this year was in or around 215

nah it was 232, a mature scored it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 freddie45

does anybody know the lowest combined score that they heard of somebody getting into med last year? I have a score of 719 this year and im praying it might be enough!

freddie45 wrote: »
    does anybody know the lowest combined score that they heard of somebody getting into med last year? I have a score of 719 this year and im praying it might be enough!

720, Galway in the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Does anyone think that points this year will bill be similar to the 2009 points as I have heard that the HPAT curves were very similar?

Does anyone think that points this year will bill be similar to the 2009 points as I have heard that the HPAT curves were very similar?

Potentially.. however I do not see Galway going down to 713, not a hope in my opinion

• Advertisement

freddie45 wrote: »

I actually know someone who got into TCD with 530 and the 86th percentile...he got in with HEAR....very lucky guy....but it could happen if demand for HEAR places isn't there
    Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Potentially.. however I do not see Galway going down to 713, not a hope in my opinion

you're probably right but if they were down that low below in NUIG before why couldn't it happen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RPR

you're probably right but if they were down that low below in NUIG before why couldn't it happen again?

Don't forget in 2009 they didn't have the bonus points for maths

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cal1ph1

Apologies if this has been asked already. My son got 76 percentile HPAT - which seems to be 168 points. So am I correct in estimating he needs Leaving Cert 552 (total 720) MINIMAL for Galway, and probably 567 (total 733) minimum for UCD if estimates are correct?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kingker123

Cal1ph1 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked already. My son got 76 percentile HPAT - which seems to be 168 points. So am I correct in estimating he needs Leaving Cert 552 (total 720) MINIMAL for Galway, and probably 567 (total 733) minimum for UCD if estimates are correct?
    Thanks.

Yes I think the points won't change too much but leaving cert points readjust for medicine so 552 is actually 560 and the maximum achievable (625) in LC readjusts to 565

Cal1ph1 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Cant get 567 as 625 points is scaled back to 565..however the 552 estimate is spot on, although getting more than 552(560 lc points) would be ideal. Good HPAT score to work with btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Maybe they should sell 'A1 notes on the CAO'.
    *Business idea* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Leavingcert179

does anyone know approximately how many people scored above the 80th percentile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

does anyone know approximately how many people scored above the 80th percentile?

Assuming about 3 000 people sitting the HPAT; about 600. Some of those will be mature students though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lilac262

Hi, I am a current med student and thought I would post this to try help the endless people asking their chances. At final offers the points for med last year were
    TCD- 731
    UCD- 730
    RCSI- 724
    UCC- 722
    NUIG- 720
    This means the minimum hpat score needed for entry to medicine last year was 155, which was roughly the 60th percentile, but you would have needed 625 for a third round offer in NUIG. That being said, there are occasional stories of leaving certs as low as 515 getting into medicine with huge hpat scores (there's one or two in my year) however generally speaking you want about 550 (the cut off point) to be safe, points after 550 aren't hugely important but obviously do help, and did help in my case. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the points for medicine will change drastically, so it's predicted at most they'll change by plus or minus one point. Congratulations to those who did well, and to those who didn't, stay hopeful, please leave it on your cao, and don't give up, give it another go next year!

ronivek wrote: »
    Assuming about 3 000 people sitting the HPAT; about 600. Some of those will be mature students though.

2500 were registered to sit HPAT this year. I emailed ACER after the exam to find out, out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Embem95

Hope everyone is happy with their results!...anyway, people are saying that the points are slightly down this year but I don't see how! I'm probably not making sense of this right but I think that 165 was the 73rd percentile last year and this year it's the 70th! And 180 was the 93rd percentile last year whereas 186 is the 94th. Does this not mean results are slightly better and hence should increase? If anyone can explain this to me, that would be great! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KOloinsigh

Just wondering, is there much of a difference between the 5 colleges? In terms of teaching standard and learning facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nifhiaich97

Keher123 wrote: »
    Yea :) It's my insurance choice,but it looks very likely that I'll be going there!

Good stuff!! Where did you firm?

KOloinsigh wrote: »
    Just wondering, is there much of a difference between the 5 colleges? In terms of teaching standard and learning facilities.

Literally nothing. Anyone who says "x med school is better than y med school" in this country is talking b***ocks. Only real difference I can think of is of the curriculum in each(eg, NUIG's first med is meant to contain a lottt of anatomy, UCD's not so much).

All the colleges have fantastic facilities. TCD have the huge biomedical centre that opened recently enough and RCSI and NUIG are both opening new Health Science and Human Biology buildings in 2016.

As Embem95 said does anyone think HPAT percentiles have stayed the same this year? Or have the points increased a little with a little decrease in percentile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

For what its worth I think the points wont move much this year.
    Looking back at previous posts some people have given scores and percentiles, they include:

%ile......2015......2014
    55.........154........???
    62.........158........???
    65.........160........???
    70.........164........???
    76.........168.........???
    77.........169.........???
    80.........???.........170
    93.........???.........184
    94.........186........???
    97.........191........192 e

(Caution: This is presuming all posters have been honest with figures ??)
    Anyone like to add to these figures, give us all an idea what will happen??

Embem95 wrote: »
    Hope everyone is happy with their results!...anyway, people are saying that the points are slightly down this year but I don't see how! I'm probably not making sense of this right but I think that 165 was the 73rd percentile last year and this year it's the 70th! And 180 was the 93rd percentile last year whereas 186 is the 94th. Does this not mean results are slightly better and hence should increase? If anyone can explain this to me, that would be great! Thanks!

181 was the 91st percentile last year actually I think...

Looking back at previous posts some people have given scores and percentiles, they include:

%ile 2015 2014
    70 164 ???
    71 ??? 164
    84 174 174
    89 178 178
    91 181 181

97th this year was 191, last year it was 192-193. 95th was 188 both years too.

%ile......2015......2014
    70........164.........???
    71.........???.........164

132 was the 28th percentile last year if that helps?

%ile......2015......2014
    70........164.........???
    71.........???.........164

95th this year was 188, 100th was 232.

100th last year was 228 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Sorry to be a bother but I was just wondering if anyone would like to pass on their hpat notes? I'd be willing to pay but we can discuss that in PMs. Had a little look on Adverts and people are trying to flog them for crazy prices. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

ronivek wrote: »
    95th this year was 188, 100th was 232.

100th last year was 228 I think.

28th percentile this year was 132- same as last years.
    28th percentile this year was 132- same as last years.

In 2014 170 was 80th percentile and 184 was 93rd percentile from what I've read....

What was the 85th percentile this year doeas anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrie1884

Don't know if this will help anyone, but 209 is 100th percentile - from what I can tell anything over 200 is 100th percentile this year.

On a separate note, does anyone know if you can choose to do premed year in RCSI even if you've done chemistry for LC?

P.s. Good luck everyone with whatever you choose to do, hopefully see you in September!

Might be an idea to stick it up on Google Docs or something and make a little graph; it'll be handy for next years students too.

And yeah you can probably put 209-232 as 100th percentile; or whatever the lowest score with a confirmed 100th percentile is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

If this helps correlate, 89th percentile was 178 points this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement