Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kingker123

96th percentile was 190

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hpat2015

Hi, I got 165 in my Hpat (71 percentile), and I expect to get at least 585 in the Leaving Cert. Have I a hope of getting into any of the Med colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cal1ph1

Question. Son got 76 percentile HPAT (168 points) and will need 556 Leaving points for RCSI and 552 for Galway. Would be wonderful if gets that, but in reality a bit improbable. He is not obsessed about Medicine, and would make a very capable engineer. So, advice.
    Should he leave RCSI as first CAO choice, Galway as second and engineering elsewhere, in descending order? In other words, is there any downside to leaving RCSI/Galway. Would be furious to drop them and then finds he has the points

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Cal1ph1 wrote: »
    Question. Son got 76 percentile HPAT (168 points) and will need 556 Leaving points for RCSI and 552 for Galway. Would be wonderful if gets that, but in reality a bit improbable. He is not obsessed about Medicine, and would make a very capable engineer. So, advice.
    Should he leave RCSI as first CAO choice, Galway as second and engineering elsewhere, in descending order? In other words, is there any downside to leaving RCSI/Galway. Would be furious to drop them and then finds he has the points

The CAO should by arranged by preference, not by points or by what he thinks he'll get.

If he still wants to do medicine more than engineering, leave it in as first choice. If he ends up getting the points, he'll get medicine. If he removes it, even if he gets the points and wants to do medicine, he won't get it. If he doesn't get enough points for med but still has points for engineering (4th choice), he'll get it.

I'd advise him to take some time to understand how the CAO works. Every year, people lose out on their preferred course because they didn't fill out the CAO properly after spending 2 years preparing for the Leaving Cert. Here's the CAO Handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Anyone who repeated HPAT this year or just did it in 2014 would you be able to give us an idea of percentiles and marks to compare with this year to get an idea of offer level. In my opinion, up to this point it looks like total points for offers will be very similar to last year. ( Percentiles from 55 to 77 would be very useful.)
    Thanks

%ile......2015......2014
    55.........154........???
    62.........158........???
    64.........???........167
    65.........160........???
    70.........164........???
    74.........???..........166
    76.........168.........???
    77.........169.........???
    93.........???.........184
    94.........186........???
    97.........191........192 e
    98.........???.........197

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Morourke

Anyone who repeated HPAT this year or just did it in 2014 would you be able to give us an idea of percentiles and marks to compare with this year to get an idea of offer level. In my opinion, up to this point it looks like total points for offers will be very similar to last year. ( Percentiles from 55 to 77 would be very useful.)
    Thanks

%ile......2015......2014
    80.........???.........170

80th percentile was 171 this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cal1ph1 wrote: »
    In other words, is there any downside to leaving RCSI/Galway. Would be furious to drop them and then finds he has the points
    No, as Nim said, there's no downside. In fact, if he prefers one of the other colleges to those two, leave it on as well. It doesn't look as if there will be a drastic shift in points this year, and they're probably his two most likely options, but there are 10 spaces for Level 8 courses on the CAO application, he can probably afford to have 3 spaces at the top left for Med if that's what he really wants rather than just two, it still leaves him seven slots to play with.

Always rank CAO by what you want: this is the secret of the universe! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

Thanks

%ile......2015......2014

166 was 74th last year

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Thanks

%ile......2015......2014

98th percentile was 197 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CGMed

167 was 64th percentile last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

CGMed wrote: »
    167 was 64th percentile last year

Cant figure
    64 %ile Should be around 159 in 2014 according to rest of figures
    Could you check have you a typo?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

what are people's first choice? mine is galway then cork

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Does anyone know if there is less or more people applying for medicine this year than last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Does anyone know if there is less or more people applying for medicine this year than last year?

There are like 7 less people applying but that wouldn't make much of a difference points wise. Points should stay roughly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Thanks

%ile......2015......2014
    64.........???........167
    74.........???..........166
    98.........???.........197

in 2015 since the 94th percentile was 186 and the 95th percentile was 188 does that mean nobody got a score of 187?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

in 2015 since the 94th percentile was 186 and the 95th percentile was 188 does that mean nobody got a score of 187?

No several scores may be equal to one percentile. there are 300 different scores possible but only 100 percentiles.
    average results may have there own percentile but the very high scores may have only one percentile ie. between 195 and 205 is all the 99th. Same with low 55-65 may be all the 20th, as so few people received them. Think of the bell curve - approx the same amount of people are in each percentile rank so the breath of scores is greater for the outlying results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KOloinsigh

SeanIAm wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bother but I was just wondering if anyone would like to pass on their hpat notes? I'd be willing to pay but we can discuss that in PMs. Had a little look on Adverts and people are trying to flog them for crazy prices. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

I can only speak for myself but ******** was pretty much all I used and I was very happy with my 91st percentile (181) afterwards. That's what I would recommend. It's all about practice really

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kelly98xo

Did ye all do prep courses? I'm not sure whether to do one or not. It'd be a waste doing one if they don't help but feel like I'd be at a disadvantage if I didn't.

Is it enough to just get practice questions or should you go to the day courses as well? Are some courses better than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrie1884

Kelly98xo wrote: »
    Did ye all do prep courses? I'm not sure whether to do one or not. It'd be a waste doing one if they don't help but feel like I'd be at a disadvantage if I didn't.

Is it enough to just get practice questions or should you go to the day courses as well? Are some courses better than others?

I did med*ntry prep course and ended up getting 100th percentile which I never would have got without it - for me it definitely helped, and you would probably be at a disadvantage without it (which is ridiculous as hpat is supposed to test your aptitude but here we are)

I found the day course really helpful, but that's just me, I kind if struggled to get my head around the whole online system without it.

Although courses can be very expensive, quite a few of them do scholarships so look into that!
    what are people's first choice? mine is galway then cork

UCD then the other Dublin colleges - I loved Galway but it's too far away from me. Both NUIG itself and the medicine programme just seem amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mlfaw

I got 722 overall, what are my chances of getting into Galway or Cork this year?

Oh and my percentile was 87 with a score of 177.

• Advertisement

mlfaw wrote: »
    I got 722 overall, what are my chances of getting into Galway or Cork this year?

Oh and my percentile was 87 with a score of 177.

I'd say you've a good chance because the points are unlikely to vary much from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mlfaw

LauraKc wrote: »
    I'd say you've a good chance because the points are unlikely to vary much from last year.

Cheers, I'm praying to get it this year as it's the third time attempting the HPAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Doing prep courses, the most valuable thing you get from them is the vast range of questions/resources. They will help if you apply yourself and actually do the lot of the practice exams..if you don't do them it'll be a waste of money whereas if you do, it should bolster your score (my experience anyway).

Saying that, the day course itself isn't essential at all but I found constant exam practice is. Being honest, if you stroll up on the day after just doing like 4 exams over 4 months you won't stand a chance against some repeats who complete and dissect ME's LMS, even if you have a better 'aptitude' for problem solving etc. There are always exceptions of those who do nothing and nail HPAT ,but for the general cohort this is the case in my opinion.

How did those who were in goldsmith get on in the hpat? Did it end up affecting your scores much seeing as they disallowed the last few questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mchughsa

I am slightly confused by the whole points system and feel I should just wait until August and try not to think about it.. but I cant help but wonder!
    I have 723 points overall, which would get me into galway if points remain the same… but i don't see how they would stay the same, correct me if I am wrong!
    Not looking at percentiles, but thinking about it from a different perspective, last year the whole points system dropped drastically due to demand decrease after people took it off their cao and then also the exclusion of section 3 which also caused the decrease in points. So would this not mean that because demand will increase again this year and presuming there will not be any mess up, the points will once again rise to something similar to that of 2013?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

mchughsa wrote: »
    I am slightly confused by the whole points system and feel I should just wait until August and try not to think about it.. but I cant help but wonder!
    I have 723 points overall, which would get me into galway if points remain the same… but i don't see how they would stay the same, correct me if I am wrong!
    Not looking at percentiles, but thinking about it from a different perspective, last year the whole points system dropped drastically due to demand decrease after people took it off their cao and then also the exclusion of section 3 which also caused the decrease in points. So would this not mean that because demand will increase again this year and presuming there will not be any mess up, the points will once again rise to something similar to that of 2013?

1) Section 3 was not excluded last year. The weighing of sections changed, the same weighing is being used this year.

2)People who took Medicine off the CAO were the people with <710 points(with the exception of a few fools who got more than 720..)..this didnt affect actual demand/points because they were never gonna get it in the first place.

3) Almost the exact same amount of people applied for Medicine this year, there is no change in demand.

4) There are 3 factors determining Medicine points..Demand, Percentiles and LC scores..everything else is nonsense, there is no 'other perspective'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lc123456789

I'm planning on repeating the hpat next year and if that doesn't work out I want to do the gamsat after I complete my degree. What course would somebody recommend seeing that the gamsat requires a knowledge of biology, chemistry and physics. I'm not too keen on doing general science and I was thinking of maybe physiotherapy? Any feedback is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mchughsa

Biomedical Science would be a very good option as it it very medically orientated and encompasses all 3 sciences!
    You will be surrounded by people who will once again sit the HPAT and also others who will stay on and do postgrad medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lc123456789

Would physio be a good second choice also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

I did no prep course and got 98th percentile. I think the only think that prep courses help with is practise and you can do that without paying €600. I just bought two exams on the hpat website and did those and that helped me so much. If you have a natural aptitude you will always succeed, just make sure you are confident with the layout of the exam :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement