Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Daisies97

Medesire wrote: »
    I'm empathetic when it's deserved, I don't see how you could have medicine as a dream for many years as no student really knows what they want to do, medicine is only a big deal to student if they have pushy parents

the irony is that this started with you calling someone else narrowminded hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mlfaw

Yeah your performance was lacking in character

Oh dear, how blind you must be if you can't see your present mistakes like this. I'm sure you'll make a doctor, whether it's a good one is quite debatable from your behaviour and responses, maybe we should ask ACER to factor this. I won't bother anymore with you as you're causing a flamewar, I also urge anyone like you who would brag-boast here about results and "circlej--k" around their success to cease as it isn't positively contributing and is just infuriating those who aren't certain in their success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Medesire

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    1) Meeeoooowwwwww

2) "Medicine is only a big deal to students if they have pushy parents"
    Biggest load of b3llsh1t I've seen on this thread to date. How can you say that??

1) RUFF RUFF RUFF

2) I can say that because medicine isn't the be all and end all, law is just as worthy as medicine yet pushy parents make medicine to be the only degree worth doing

That's wonderful. By all means speak for yourself but you don't need to for everyone else.

Aaaaaand I'm done. Couldn't be bothered replying to this crap anymore.

Doctor's have patience I think, sorry for my inaccuracy because I only thought about become a doctor when I knew the world

Daisies97 wrote: »
    the irony is that this started with you calling someone else narrowminded hahah

I'm very broad minded and actually considered my options based on my aptitude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I don't mean that way at all, in the post I inferred that it was nearly a bad thing going to TCD or UCD making them sound snobbish but I acknowledge getting into NUIG is stil outstanding it's just where I'm from TCD is seen as elite so obviously growing up with that you start to believe it

You've bashed Mlfaw's interpersonal reasoning first.

Do you not have the "logical reasoning' to deduce that every single college in this country is on the exact same level with regards to Medicine courses? The "growing up with that you start to believe" logic is applied to so many things that we instantly disregard as quackary as we grow older.
    2) I can say that because medicine isn't the be all and end all, law is just as worthy as medicine yet pushy parents make medicine to be the only degree worth doing

My parents were the furthest thing from pushy. I went to every single college/subject open day and decided Medicine was what I had my heart set on. Getting in was a big deal for me in that way. How are my parents involved in this? I'd say 70% of those on here decided to do medicine for reasons I have mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I'm very broad minded and actually considered my options based on my aptitude

From what you have posted on this thread that is a sheer logical fallacy.

mlfaw wrote: »
    Oh dear, how blind you must be if you can't see your present mistakes like this. I'm sure you'll make a doctor, whether it's a good one is quite debatable from your behaviour and responses, maybe we should ask ACER to factor this. I won't bother anymore with you as you're causing a flamewar, I also urge anyone like you who would brag-boast here about results and "circlej--k" around their success to cease as it isn't positively contributing and is just infuriating those who aren't certain in their success.

You going to take an arts course now? It'll suit you more than medicine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OK children, enough with the nonsense, thanks.

spurious wrote: »
    OK children, enough with the nonsense, thanks.

You're hot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If people do not stop sniping at each other, I will lock this thread.

Being a new user is no excuse. Read the rules.

Medesire, take a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Medesiree

spurious wrote: »
    If people do not stop sniping at each other, I will lock this thread.

Being a new user is no excuse. Read the rules.

Medesire, take a break.

Lock the thread baby!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mod note:

Medesire and all their subsequent re-registrations have been banned from the Leaving Cert forum. Please don't drag up their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Welcome to the world of medicine. A good few years ago I was in your place. It's very tough, it's great craic, it's throughly exhausting but it's worth it all in the end. Enjoy your next few years without the responsibility :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

717 lads....is it too low for Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wynol

Does anyone know what the criteria for getting the 5 year course in Galway is?
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

wynol wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the criteria for getting the 5 year course in Galway is?
    Thank you!

http://www.nuigalway.ie/admissions/documents/allocation_of_places_in_medicine_gy501_5_and_6_year_programme.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donegal262

Hey guys , so by some miracle I've managed to scrape enough points (hopefully) to get into med this year :) However , instead of being met by congratulations from friends / family all I've heard is how horrible the hours will be ,how I'll have no life at college , how the pressure will depress me and I've been asked a hundred times why on earth I want to do that to myself .
    I've never previously had any doubts about studying med , but i must admit now I'm feeling very uneasy and daunted at the task . I'm just reaching out to see if anyone else is feeling the same ,or am I the only oddball second guessing myself ?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Hey,

So as someone out other end for ten years now all I heard was similar and while some bits are right some aren't.

The hours are very long esp compared so some other courses. When I did it it was 9-5 every day. It was great craic though loved it all. Your friends you make in college are your friends for life and how often do you get to leave college and go work with all your friends. The hours as a doctor are bad but better now than they were and hopefully will be better again by the time you are out. It's an incredibly hard job but an incredibly worth while one. It's a job/course you could only survive/enjoy if you want it or not doing it for your family.

Everyone has doubts. Go for it and make your own mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CMRG

Hi,
    My Leaving Cert didn't go to plan at all and I didn't get enough points for medicine. It's really disappointing as I actually did really well in the HPAT. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to repeat as I know that medicine is all I want to do. Just looking for advice from anyone who has repeated for medicine before?

Also, I think that my problem last year was that I did too much too soon. I worked incredibly hard in 5th year and at the start of 6th year! Then when it came to Christmas of 6th year, I was really overwhelmed by it all and was just worn out. I found it really hard to keep the pace up until June and found myself quite down and depressed around the time of the mocks. I really don't want to find myself in a similar situation next year so if anyone has any advice on how to do the amount of study that is needed for the leaving cert to receive enough points for medicine and still remain positive and happy throughout 6th year it would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

CMRG wrote: »
    Hi,
    My Leaving Cert didn't go to plan at all and I didn't get enough points for medicine. It's really disappointing as I actually did really well in the Hpat. I've decided I'm going to repeat as I know that medicine is all I want to do. Just looking for advice from anyone who has repeated for medicine before?

Also, I think that my problem last year was that I did too much too soon. I worked incredibly hard in 5th year and at the start of 6th year! Then when it came to Christmas of 6th year, I was really overwhelmed by it all and was just worn out. I found it really hard to keep the pace up until June and found myself quite down and depressed around the time of the mocks. I really don't want to find myself in a similar situation next year so if anyone has any advice on how to do the amount of study that is needed for the leaving cert to receive enough points for medicine and still remain positive and happy throughout 6th year it would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hello, I would definitely suggest to repeat but be warned it is a very stressful operation for various of reasons. I would suggest to start early in the year (it would be ideal to start a week or two before re-starting in my opinion) to study and do about 4 hours a day. For me, what I felt helped the most was past papers, I did at least one past paper, outside of study time, a week in the subjects I knew I could get As in (Chemistry, Biology, Ag Science) and I got A1s in all three of them. In the other subjects that I was weaker in but had to do (Maths, English) I did as many questions possible, for example in Maths I did all variations I could find of the different sections and for English I did all the questions of the variations of the phrasing for MacBeth, Comparative, etc (not sure what books you have this year) and I managed from going from a D3 in Maths to a C1 and a B3 in English to a B1, though I knew I could have done more as I didn't properly start until October. Really, as you know yourself, pacing is the main issue. It's a major hassle to force yourself to study but unfortunately it needs to be done, try reward youself every-so-often and take it easier in the first half by setting one day a week to meet up with people. Though, for me, in the second half I didn't go out at all as I needed the study, not suggesting it as it will make you frustrated but you do get more work done.

It is a long process and you will miss your friends during it but it is definitely worth doing if you have your heart set on Medicine.

Hi,
    My Leaving Cert didn't go to plan at all and I didn't get enough points for medicine. It's really disappointing as I actually did really well in the HPAT. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to repeat as I know that medicine is all I want to do. Just looking for advice from anyone who has repeated for medicine before?

Oh another thing, in regards to mocks, seriously consider whether they are needed or not as you have to remember most mock papers are not to point in regard to the real LC papers with some questions being gibberish. Further to this, the correctors are Uni students not LC teachers and they only get paid ~€1 per script so they don't care about how accurately they grade. Considering this with the fact they are so close to the HPAT they aren't important at all, though if you feel (or your parents feel) you should do them as they are an "indication" then you should ask your teachers if they could hold some of the papers for you and you can do it in an exam setting in your library or at home in the given time then grade according to the marking scheme of the mock or you could ask if your teacher would be willing to mark it for you. The mocks count for nothing in the grand scheme of things so don't stress for them, work for the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CMRG

Thanks a million for all the advice mlfaw! I'm dreading repeating but I have my heart set on medicine so hopefully this time next year it'll all be worth it!

Thanks a million for all the advice mlfaw! I'm dreading repeating but I have my heart set on medicine so hopefully this time next year it'll all be worth it!

No problem, as I said I was in the same boat, it's a pain but it is most definitely worth it. Good luck in the LC next year, sorry you couldn't get it this year!

In regards to Leaving Cert points, will the increase in the strands of points this year lead to an increase of Medicine points?

As roughly each strand above minimum for Medicine has increased by .5% (I know this is minimal, but I'm just concerned about it):

http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/points_stats/lc15pts.pdf

http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/points_stats/lc14pts.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

Hi,

I would say definitely repeat. I did the same thing. I think before I had even sat the exams I had resigned myself to repeating. I paced myself a lot more this year and just focused on actually doing exam papers and that kind of thing instead of cramming things off by heart and I went up over 100 points! It was well worth it. I also feel that since I wasn't in such good form during sixth year I was probably better off waiting before I headed into college because I feel a lot more competent now and probably wouldn't be overwhelmed so easily.

In regards to Leaving Cert points, will the increase in the strands of points this year lead to an increase of Medicine points?

As roughly each strand above minimum for Medicine has increased by .5% (I know this is minimal, but I'm just concerned about it):

http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/points_stats/lc15pts.pdf

http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/points_stats/lc14pts.pdf

I saw this! 1777 people got over 550 this year compared to something like 1562 I think it was last year?

emma35 wrote: »
    I saw this! 1777 people got over 550 this year compared to something like 1562 I think it was last year?

Something like that, which is why I'm quite worried, I know not all of those people are going for Medicine as there are the Vets, Dentists, Theoretical Physicists etc. but it is an alarming increase; hence why I'm wondering would this affect points.

Something like that, which is why I'm quite worried, I know not all of those people are going for Medicine as there are the Vets, Dentists, Theoretical Physicists etc. but it is an alarming increase; hence why I'm wondering would this affect points.

well at least theres the fact that the number of applicants is still way lower than pre 2014

• Advertisement

emma35 wrote: »
    well at least theres the fact that the number of applicants is still way lower than pre 2014

Yeah that's true, I'm overthinking it perhaps, I just would really like to know now as the time is dragging by.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement