Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

By how many points do you estimate the points for med would rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wynol

CMRG wrote: »
    Hi,
    My Leaving Cert didn't go to plan at all and I didn't get enough points for medicine. It's really disappointing as I actually did really well in the HPAT. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to repeat as I know that medicine is all I want to do. Just looking for advice from anyone who has repeated for medicine before?

Also, I think that my problem last year was that I did too much too soon. I worked incredibly hard in 5th year and at the start of 6th year! Then when it came to Christmas of 6th year, I was really overwhelmed by it all and was just worn out. I found it really hard to keep the pace up until June and found myself quite down and depressed around the time of the mocks. I really don't want to find myself in a similar situation next year so if anyone has any advice on how to do the amount of study that is needed for the leaving cert to receive enough points for medicine and still remain positive and happy throughout 6th year it would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hi! Im sorry to hear that it didnt work out for you this year - i was in the exact same boat last year. I repeated for medicine and jumped 50 points so hopefully Ill get my first choice this time around.

It was definitely worth repeating, but be careful what subjects you do etc. I moved to a grind school instead of staying in my local secondary school, but I think that if you have good teachers in your first school, and are willing to put in the work, any school will do!

It was difficult at the start, up until around october, november. Personally, I was quite bitter haha and found myself a bit lost but i think you get over that and once you do, as long as you stay with the goal in mind you'll put in the work for it. Its hard to see your friends off in college and the like but you just have to toughen that out unfortunately :( As far as mocks go, there are important-ish. Due to how close they are with the hpat, I wouldnt pay them much heed in the direct lead up to them, but start preparing for them little by little a few weeks in advance, just as a means of examining yourself and keeping tabs on where you are. Don't worry about them, don't cram for them, theyre not worth it. Just be aware of them as a chance to see what you need to cover still.

I'd be very cautious with the subjects you do! I got two A1s last year, and I didnt get A1s in them this year, I think I took for granted that I would again, so I'm disappointed in myself there. Be particularly careful with English, the play and poets are different again this year as far as I know.

Best of luck in the future!!! :)

Hi,
    My Leaving Cert didn't go to plan at all and I didn't get enough points for medicine. It's really disappointing as I actually did really well in the HPAT. Anyway, I've decided I'm going to repeat as I know that medicine is all I want to do. Just looking for advice from anyone who has repeated for medicine before?

Also, I think that my problem last year was that I did too much too soon. I worked incredibly hard in 5th year and at the start of 6th year! Then when it came to Christmas of 6th year, I was really overwhelmed by it all and was just worn out. I found it really hard to keep the pace up until June and found myself quite down and depressed around the time of the mocks. I really don't want to find myself in a similar situation next year so if anyone has any advice on how to do the amount of study that is needed for the leaving cert to receive enough points for medicine and still remain positive and happy throughout 6th year it would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hi! Im sorry to hear that it didnt work out for you this year - i was in the exact same boat last year. I repeated for medicine and jumped 50 points so hopefully Ill get my first choice this time around.

It was definitely worth repeating, but be careful what subjects you do etc. I moved to a grind school instead of staying in my local secondary school, but I think that if you have good teachers in your first school, and are willing to put in the work, any school will do!

It was difficult at the start, up until around october, november. Personally, I was quite bitter haha and found myself a bit lost but i think you get over that and once you do, as long as you stay with the goal in mind you'll put in the work for it. Its hard to see your friends off in college and the like but you just have to toughen that out unfortunately :( As far as mocks go, they are important-ish . Due to how close they are with the hpat, I wouldnt pay them much heed in the direct lead up to them, but start preparing for them little by little a few weeks in advance, just as a means of examining yourself and keeping tabs on where you are. Don't worry about them, don't cram for them, theyre not worth it. Just be aware of them as a chance to see what you need to cover still.

I'd be very cautious with the subjects you do! I got two A1s last year, and I didnt get A1s in them this year, I think I took for granted that I would again, so I'm disappointed in myself there. Be particularly careful with English, the play and poets are different again this year as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CMRG

wynol wrote: »

It was difficult at the start, up until around october, november. Personally, I was quite bitter haha and found myself a bit lost but i think you get over that and once you do, as long as you stay with the goal in mind you'll put in the work for it. Its hard to see your friends off in college and the like but you just have to toughen that out unfortunately :( As far as mocks go, they are important-ish . Due to how close they are with the hpat, I wouldnt pay them much heed in the direct lead up to them, but start preparing for them little by little a few weeks in advance, just as a means of examining yourself and keeping tabs on where you are. Don't worry about them, don't cram for them, theyre not worth it. Just be aware of them as a chance to see what you need to cover still.

Thanks of all the advice and congratulations on your results! I hope you get what you want! I'm dreading repeating but hopefully it'll work out once I get back into the swing of things!

Yeah, I'm going to repeat in one of the Dublin grind schools. I was thinking of dropping to ordinary English due to all the extra work that has to be put in because, as you've said the curriculum is different for this year! I was going to take up an 8th subject, maybe religion, as I did it for Junior Cert and got an A in it. I know the subject at Leaving cert level is different though so I'm going to research it a bit more before I make any final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CMRG

emma35 wrote: »
    I would say definitely repeat. I did the same thing. I think before I had even sat the exams I had resigned myself to repeating. I paced myself a lot more this year and just focused on actually doing exam papers and that kind of thing instead of cramming things off by heart and I went up over 100 points! It was well worth it. I also feel that since I wasn't in such good form during sixth year I was probably better off waiting before I headed into college because I feel a lot more competent now and probably wouldn't be overwhelmed so easily.

Thanks for all the advice emma35! Hopefully I'll be in a position similar to yours this time next year! Congratulations on your results!

• Advertisement

Thanks of all the advice and congratulations on your results! I hope you get what you want! I'm dreading repeating but hopefully it'll work out once I get back into the swing of things!

Yeah, I'm going to repeat in one of the Dublin grind schools. I was thinking of dropping to ordinary English due to all the extra work that has to be put in because, as you've said the curriculum is different for this year! I was going to take up an 8th subject, maybe religion, as I did it for Junior Cert and got an A in it. I know the subject at Leaving cert level is different though so I'm going to research it a bit more before I make any final decision.

Ya, I kept on English because I had gotten an A1 in it but I dropped in it which was disappointing! I did eight subjects the first time around, got B1s in both, dropped the one I liked least around march this year, and got an A1 in the subject I kept on. I was spreading myself too far with eight, personally, but its up to you, especially if you have experience with th subject. In my grind school, a lot of ppl took on construction and many got A1s in it! I dont know if it was a good teacher or what, just thought I'd mention it to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

HPAT repeats - by how many points did you guys go up (or down) by the second time you did it? Considering whether or not to take a gap year, travel and put a lot of time into HPAT prep or take up my second choice and consider it fate.. (I'm about 15 points off, got in the high 500s with my LC so don't think there's a point in repeating that as it would only be to get 600+, the stress of which would be counter productive)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Medicine2o15

I got 85th percentile in first hpat and dropped to 77th. Thankfully I repeated the lc too and should get medicine this year with 730. I was 15 of last year too, it's well worth trying again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

I got 85th percentile in first hpat and dropped to 77th. Thankfully I repeated the lc too and should get medicine this year with 730. I was 15 of last year too, it's well worth trying again!!

You will definitely get it, congratulations! Do you think I should repeat my Leaving Cert even though I'm over 550 (But less than 600)? I did a fair amount of prep for the HPAT but with the LC aswell it obviously didn't get enough attention as it could have

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

You will definitely get it, congratulations! Do you think I should repeat my Leaving Cert even though I'm over 550 (But less than 600)? I did a fair amount of prep for the HPAT but with the LC aswell it obviously didn't get enough attention as it could have

Honestly now that you're above 550 the amount of extra work you'd have to do for at most 10 extra points (due to scaling) would be over the top. I'd say repeat the hpat if you're gonna repet anything, it's more possible to jump up 10, 20, 30 points in it :) good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

HPAT repeats - by how many points did you guys go up (or down) by the second time you did it? Considering whether or not to take a gap year, travel and put a lot of time into HPAT prep or take up my second choice and consider it fate.. (I'm about 15 points off, got in the high 500s with my LC so don't think there's a point in repeating that as it would only be to get 600+, the stress of which would be counter productive)

I went from 48th to 97th. Other users here I've seen went from 28th to 84th, 55th to 98th and 60th to 90th so it possible to do. With a LC of high 500s I'd definitely recommend re-doing the HPAT!

I got 79th percentile first hpat, went up to 90th percentile this year! I repeated the lc as well, I had gotten 545 first time around, and I jumped a good bit alright. However, if your lc is high, dont bother repeating- just go hell for leather on the hpat! Best of luck :)

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    I went from 48th to 97th. Other users here I've seen went from 28th to 84th, 55th to 98th and 60th to 90th so it possible to do. With a LC of high 500s I'd definitely recommend re-doing the HPAT!

Sorry to be intrusive, but how many points did you get for 97th percentile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

wynol wrote: »
    Sorry to be intrusive, but how many points did you get for 97th percentile?

191:pac:

wow!! well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Congrats Gallagher1 and all who got good results on Wednesday.
    191 and 97%ile here also. Only prob was 520 in LC leaving, total of 711.
    Wondering can 97%ile be replicated next year. :(
    Good luck with offers Monday folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

I kept my leaving cert points and took the year out. I didn't want to be stressing about another course around the time of the HPAT especially when my heart wouldn't be in the other course. I jumped 14 points in the HPAT, which I am very happy with and will hopefully secure medicine for me this year with a total of 724 :) It was worth repeating the HPAT for me but the LC would be too much hassle and stress I think - new poets ect. Good luck to everyone on Monday- hope to meet some of you in September!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Murphy3 wrote: »
    I kept my leaving cert points and took the year out. I didn't want to be stressing about another course around the time of the HPAT especially when my heart wouldn't be in the other course. I jumped 14 points in the HPAT, which I am very happy with and will hopefully secure medicine for me this year with a total of 724 :) It was worth repeating the HPAT for me but the LC would be too much hassle and stress I think - new poets ect. Good luck to everyone on Monday- hope to meet some of you in September!! :D

What did you do throughout the year, without school and of course apart from HPAT preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Really not worth repeating the lc once you're over 550. It's the hpat that makes the difference over that so if I were you I'd just take the year out and sit it again in Feb. The only way I'd say otherwise would be if your 2nd choice is above the 550 as if you were to come up short on med again next year, you wouldn't have the points for #2 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Morourke

Total of 721 does anyone think I have a chance or should I just start looking abroad? Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

Morourke wrote:
    Total of 721 does anyone think I have a chance or should I just start looking abroad? Thank you!

I have the same question but I am still hoping with 722.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Congrats Gallagher1 and all who got good results on Wednesday.
    191 and 97%ile here also. Only prob was 520 in LC leaving, total of 711.
    Wondering can 97%ile be replicated next year. :(
    Good luck with offers Monday folks.

I would recommend applying for Italy next year in case you don't get med in Ireland. Once you meet the entry requirements the deciding factor is an aptitude test which is obviously your strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emmp21

On 725 points with my first choice as UCC and NUIG second, do you think I'm fairly safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

Emmp21 wrote: »
    On 725 points with my first choice as UCC and NUIG second, do you think I'm fairly safe?

Im on 725 too, absolutely petrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Medicine2o15

I'm on 730 and am still terrified!! Nuig is my first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donegal262

Does anyone know ballpark how many points reduction HEAR could allow for medicine?My friend is on 719 and is petrified she won't get galway :/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Hi, I'm hoping someone could help me out!

I'll probably just miss out on Med this year due to my HPAT but I did get 6 A's in the Leaving Cert

Can I use these grades which I got this year to apply to the UK for next year?
    I'd really appreciate any help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 superduckdude

yoyojc wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hoping someone could help me out!

I'll probably just miss out on Med this year due to my HPAT but I did get 6 A's in the Leaving Cert

Can I use these grades which I got this year to apply to the UK for next year?
    I'd really appreciate any help :)

Haha I'm a UK student applying to Ireland this year! If you can tell me what your Leaving Cert is equivalent to in A-Levels I might be able to help you out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

donegal262 wrote:
    Does anyone know ballpark how many points reduction HEAR could allow for medicine?My friend is on 719 and is petrified she won't get galway :/

if i understand correctly HEAR doesn't guarantee any point reduction, you just compete with a smaller group of people for spaces so points inevitably drop. Your friend has a good chance :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement