Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

weird advice - but for section 2 read with a little smile! it helps to have a positive outlook on the question and stops you putting feelings into the character's that are not present. Highlight words with describe tone, body language, watch for pauses that change the mood of the piece. Just keep going - it's tough but you need to just never give up.
    Ah we have free time - mostly at the start of the semester. I went out an awful lot in the first 3 months. 2-3 times a week! I wasn't willing to sacrifice my only freshers week and 1st year for med. Non - med peeps have remarked on how much we go out But this term i will be taking it a little easier. I got a first in one of my exam's passed the 2nd and am awaiting the 3rd's result! I work in a pub sometimes, on weekends - but i live so far away i rarely go home.
    I got involved in alternative music soc and boxing fitness classes. I have friends in the Phil and the Drama soc - both these are a massive time commitments. about 1/5 med's do a society - it's hard as our timetable changes a little bit each week and we have xmas exams unlike nearly every other course
    I picked TCD over UCD because of the affiliated hospitals, TCD have larger hospitals and there are more of them. TCD is beautiful and central, but you will get the same education everywhere i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Thanks for all the info regarding the med course, very insightful, what I want to know is though how would I mark how Well im doing in my ME practise exams? Like the highest I've gotten is in the 72nd percentile in section 2 and 65-70 in 1&3. I'm counting how many I got right out of 110 and multiplying by 300 to mark myself the highest I've got is 190

I just want to ask, to the people who did the ME course, were the no's you got in the practise exams more or less the same in the real thing? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

I'm not sitting the Leaving until 2016 but the HPAT and Medicine has been on my mind a lot recently as I was wondering if there was anyway I could start preparing for it especially section 3.? Does being good at maths (ie logical reasoning) equate to relatively high scores in section 3. I'm not weak at maths but it's the one section that honestly frightens me and was wondering could I do anything to improve my confidence in relation to sequences, patterns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Why are the ACER practice papers so much easier then the Med-Entry ones?

Which did people who have done the HPAT before feel was a closer representation of the real thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I was so bad at these! Honestly in the end I just left the 8 or so of them that were on the exam until the end and pretty much guessed them. Unsurprisingly section 3 was my worst section (from my first practice exam to the real thing) :pac:

If you can't do them don't freak out. But they're worth practising. Mind ye, as I've said so many times here, I really feel that you can only practice so much - a few hours really, it's not like studying for an exam, one is simply practising exam technique :)
    Junokevv wrote: »
    Why are the ACER practice papers so much easier then the Med-Entry ones?

Which did people who have done the HPAT before feel was a closer representation of the real thing?

I don't know why, but I feel like ME try to prepare one for the worst - the only thing I'd say is use all your time. When practising with ME I'd usually finish section 1 and 2 early then finish up. In the exam section 1 went even faster and I had ten minutes left over - I kind of wasted this (not that it caused me any issues :pac:). I'd say ME was definitely more realistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

So if I am averaging about 85% in the Acer practice tests, what approximate HPAT score do you think this would correspond with?

That is impossible to say. The degree of difficulty within the ACER exams doesn't even slightly correlate to the actual exam itself, and you have to take into account the pressured situation too. Honestly, a prep course/material that is non ACER is the best way to go unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Izunna181

Hi guys gap year applicant here. I have been practicing for the hpat and its been going fine tbh, making decent progress. But one area Im stuck on is problem solving questions in section 1. The type that you most likely need to create a diagram or table to deduce the correct answer otherwise your head would explode lol. I've been using ******** but I am still struggling with answering these questions quickly and end up spending too much time on them. Anyone else struggling with this or could lend a hand with some tips? Would greatly appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aaronlp5

Anyone have any tips for bringing up my section 3? I'm consistently get the answers wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 smithylad123

Anybody have an idea if points will change as drastically as last year ???

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

How are people finding section 2? it's by far my worst section

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

Theboybang wrote: »

Mine too and it seems impossible to improve on?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Theboybang wrote: »

It's my best section, and I enjoy doing it. (But I am absolutely hopeless at Section 3.)

I think it's because I read a lot. I'm a people person- good at communicating, debating and understanding people in general. My advice would be to read as much as possible between now and the exam; critically, closely and deeply. Visualise the situation as though the characters were close friends. This makes them more three-dimensional, and you are less likely to bring in prejudice. Play the scene out in your mind, give voices to the characters- this helps establish their tone and mood. Widen your vocabulary so that you are aware of acute differences among synonyms. It is important not to pre-judge, and to come to a conclusion based on what you have read only. A certain amount of intuition helps too, though. You need to consider the intentions and motives of the characters you are reading about, through their behaviour, thoughts, dialogue and the attitudes of others towards them. A positive, yet realistic, outlook on the situation helps, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

It's my best section, and I enjoy doing it. (But I am absolutely hopeless at Section 3.)
    I used to love reading the stories quite honestly! It was always my inbetween section - I usually got 70-80th percentile on the Med entry practice exams, and even though one can't really improve them with practice, I did them all as they were pretty fun :D
    I think it's because I read a lot. I'm a people person- good at communicating, debating and understanding people in general. My advice would be to read as much as possible between now and the exam; critically, closely and deeply. Visualise the situation as though the characters were close friends. This makes them more three-dimensional, and you are less likely to bring in prejudice. Play the scene out in your mind, give voices to the characters- this helps establish their tone and mood. Widen your vocabulary so that you are aware of acute differences among synonyms. It is important not to pre-judge, and to come to a conclusion based on what you have read only. A certain amount of intuition helps too, though. You need to consider the intentions and motives of the characters you are reading about, through their behaviour, thoughts, dialogue and the attitudes of others towards them. A positive, yet realistic, outlook on the situation helps, too. :)

This may sound wishy washy but it's true (and I was never a big social person!) :)

Anyway, there are two reasons why you may be bad at section two - English isn't your first language or your vocabulary is sub-par (for a difficult university course anyhow), or you're just not good at reading emotion in situations.

The former can be improved by reading books and such, the latter is something I don't see how one can really fix at this stage :o

You won't learn anything really by spending more than an hour or two practising section two quite honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

To build up on what atomic koala said, there is no real benefit that you can get from practicing s2 for hours and hours this late in the game, it's really a slow burner to improve on , with that being said, focus on your strengths. Give most of your time to the other 2 sections as they are the easiest and quickest to improve on. Don't neglect s2 but don't let it stress you out, just give it 20% of your time max

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jessica379

How would I improve on section 1? Its by far my worst with section 2 being my best

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cynicaldoubt

What percentiles should one be aiming for in these ******** practice exams? They seem to fluctuate widely for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Did everyone receive the admission ticket yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cynicaldoubt

Nope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

Section 3 is really easy IMO. Got 30/30 in last sample test i did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 futuremedic

Can anyone tell me where to find the worked solutions for the hpat practice tests 2 and 3? Failing that the explanation behind practice test 2 section 3 q98 would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Logan97

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    I didn't bother with a PREP course and managed to get in the 97th percentile.

Then what did you do then to study for the HPAT and get such a good mark? I don't want to go on a course as when I did the UKCAT it didn't help me much...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Logan97 wrote: »
    Then what did you do then to study for the HPAT and get such a good mark? I don't want to go on a course as when I did the UKCAT it didn't help me much...

Some people are just good at doing that sort of test - it's an aptitude.
    Some people could go on prep courses many times and never improve. People are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username6212

Does anyone here know what the point reduction will be like for the Dare scheme? Like any idea at all? I can't seem to find any numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

My admissions ticket arrived via email this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 37 futuremedic19

Yay!!! we finally got our admissions ticket this morning :)

Mines at the UCD Business school

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LochlanCummins

anyone doing the med.entry simulated exam in dublin tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 briosca

Does anyone here know what the point reduction will be like for the Dare scheme? Like any idea at all? I can't seem to find any numbers

Are you not worried about the fitness to practice issue? I was considering not applying because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Did anyone do the Simulated Trial Exam with Med-Entry yesterday? How did people do?

I found S2 to be trickier than usual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement