Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What technologies do you use as a professional developer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Current job:

ruby + chef + test-kitchen (rare forays into Rails)
    occasional outbreaks of python
    scattered showers of sh
    lots of vagrant+virtualbox and AWS
    Travis-CI + an internal CI tool
    vim + git for everything (in iTerm2)
    slack and zoom for talking to co-workers
    developing on a Mac, production is a mix of Gentoo & Ubuntu

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I really want to get out of the MS stack but currently using the following.

Languages:
    C# mostly (web based stuff I use MVC)
    Starting a project that'll require JavaScript, HTML, CSS (also have to use Telerik)

Windows 7
    Windows Server 2008 R2

Editors:
    Visual Stuido (with Vim extension VsVim) for dev
    Vim for heavy file editing
    Sublime for throw away stuff

DB:
    T-SQL
    MS SQL Server
    Entity Framework

Version Control:
    Mercurial
    BitBucket
    KDiff3

Other:
    LinqPad (REPL!)
    Cygwin (just cos ls)
    SCADA/HMI stuff
    OPC stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

I'm currently a Front-end Developer

Mostly working with:
    PHP
    HTML
    CSS
    JavaScript

On:
    Windows 7
    OSX

Using:
    Sublime Text 3
    Grunt
    WordPress
    Laravel
    Angular
    Backbone
    Git
    oh my zsh
    MySQL

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

DB -> Oracle
    FrontEnd -> GWT
    Languages -> Java/Spring/Hibernate
    IDE Eclipse, Kepler
    Dev OS: Windows 7. Corporate policy forbids linux :-(
    SCM: svn
    Moisc: perl, sh, vim via git-shell.

I'd trade the whole bloody lot for a linux environment with tomcat, apache, mysql & java if I could :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭partyboy690

DB -> Oracle
    FrontEnd -> GWT
    Languages -> Java/Spring/Hibernate
    IDE Eclipse, Kepler
    Dev OS: Windows 7. Corporate policy forbids linux :-(
    SCM: svn
    Moisc: perl, sh, vim via git-shell.

I'd trade the whole bloody lot for a linux environment with tomcat, apache, mysql & java if I could :-)
    What kinda bloody corporate policy is that? :confused: why would you forbid Linux when it's clearly a much better server than Windows, Unix servers > Windows servers, it's just a fact :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Corporate policy forbids linux :-(

home-alone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*sadpandaface*

Someone is getting a massive backhander somewhere for that one.

What kinda bloody corporate policy is that? :confused: why would you forbid Linux when it's clearly a much better server than Windows, Unix servers > Windows servers, it's just a fact :P

You're right, of course.

The reason is simple. Sensitive personal and corporate data => intrusive security. Corporate IT that aren't comfortable with anything except windows and there you have it. You have a set of 'approved' software you can use and that's it. Mad, I know, as there are huge holes anyway. I'm surprised you're surprised, though. I would have thought it was common enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'm a principal software developer, working on a large J2EE product, so my toolset is skewed heavily towards the enterprise side of things.

IDE: Eclipse, NotePad++
    Databases : Oracle, DB2, Sql Server, PostGresql, HsqlDB, DB Visualizer, Hibernate
    Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome
    JMS: HermesJMS, MQ Series, Hornet MQ
    Build tools : Apache Ant, DBUnit, Htmlunit, Canoo Web Test
    App servers : JBoss EAP, WebSphere, WebLogic
    SSO Systems : WebSeal, SiteMinder, iChain
    LDAP : Active Directory, OpenLDAP, JXplorer
    Security: ZAPProxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

You've obviously never worked with an American megacorporation ;) trust me working with ctags and our setup is a pain in the bloody ass, we have our own bespoke setup that doesn't play well with ctags, it's so unbelievably convoluted. I wish editing my .vimrc was easy but it's not, trust me it's absolutely painful, beaurocracy at its finest.

You mean you don't have access to .vimrc in your home directory?? Is it for real?? :eek:

• Advertisement

PrzemoF wrote: »
    You mean you don't have access to .vimrc in your home directory?? Is it for real?? :eek:

Really, you have no idea how fupped up a lot of companies are with respect to development software. In my experience, if the company is not primarily a development house (e.g. a bank or insurance company, say), they don't get the need for developers to have access to a wide range of resources. The 'corporate IT policy' is framed with call-center -type users in mind. You'll be told what version of which browser to use, and so on, Internet access will be seriously restricted and your desktop will be 'swept' for non-standard software.

Best thing to do? Tell them to go jump in a lake (or something like that) and get a job in a real company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Really, you have no idea how fupped up a lot of companies are with respect to development software. In my experience, if the company is not primarily a development house (e.g. a bank or insurance company, say), they don't get the need for developers to have access to a wide range of resources. The 'corporate IT policy' is framed with call-center -type users in mind. You'll be told what version of which browser to use, and so on, Internet access will be seriously restricted and your desktop will be 'swept' for non-standard software.

Best thing to do? Tell them to go jump in a lake (or something like that) and get a job in a real company.

I thought I'm in a bad situation when I had to ask IT to install wacom drivers for me (I have not had enough access right to do it). :eek:

Banks and insurance companies have to be paranoid about security.
    If a hacker gets a foothold into some developers machine just because they installed some random tool from the net which was a repackaged version of a genuine tool, then a lot of bad things happen.
    It's on the news every week with X thousand credit cards or customer details lost.

It's just hugely inconvenient to developers who perform software updates/installations/software trials at least once a week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You're right, of course.

The reason is simple. Sensitive personal and corporate data => intrusive security. Corporate IT that aren't comfortable with anything except windows and there you have it. You have a set of 'approved' software you can use and that's it. Mad, I know, as there are huge holes anyway. I'm surprised you're surprised, though. I would have thought it was common enough.

I thought I'm in a bad situation when I had to ask IT to install wacom drivers for me (I have not had enough access right to do it). :eek:

I've worked for IBM and Yahoo previously. They don't call their IT Security team 'The Paranoids' for nothing. In majority of cases, limiting what a user can download is the way to go and I see a point.

Itzy wrote: »
    I've worked for IBM and Yahoo previously. They don't call their IT Security team 'The Paranoids' for nothing. In majority of cases, limiting what a user can download is the way to go and I see a point.

It's all about data security, really.

It's uploading that causes the problem, not downloading. You can have all the firewall, virus protection you like but as long as someone has access to 'the cloud' - say, dropbox or google drive or aws then they can merrily upload 'sensitive' data to their hearts content. Encrypt it on the way out and no-one would ever be any the wiser.

IT security teams rely on the goodwill & professionalism of development staff, without it, their job is impossible.

I'm a principal software developer, working on a large J2EE product, so my toolset is skewed heavily towards the enterprise side of things.
    What's a principal software engineer do and how is it different from a 'senior' one or a 'lead'? I'm fascinated by these titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What's a principal software engineer do and how is it different from a 'senior' one or a 'lead'? I'm fascinated by these titles.
    I wouldn't get terrible hung up on titles to be honest, the companies make them up themselves and they're even less standard than a programmers dress code.
    (Those who actually have a dress code that extends beyond "Dude. FFS. Pants.", you have my deepest sympathies). What'll be a lead in one place and a principal in another could be a CTO in a third or a dogsbody in a fourth.

It varies from company to company.
    Our company have pay scales, career progression routes etc.
    So there's a matrix of grades and the expected skill sets, soft skills etc per grade.

I've nearly 15 years experience in this company, and over 20 years altogether. You'd expect most developers to move to "senior developer" after only 3 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You'd expect most developers to move to "senior developer" after only 3 years or so.

Which is a big part of why the "senior" bit in the title isn't worth what it should be. This is a good read on what the title should mean, but doesn't.

I do have access to it :) but what I can make it do is the other question :D it's hilarious our Linux development environment is rigidly locked down but not really for security reasons, but more so to do with bad planning on the part of the build guys, working with legacy Unix systems and distributed build environments. Once change for you can affect the whole build environment - well that's they're thinking - so we can't install software on the build servers and the default software is lacking, plus the build servers are based on Redhat 4 and etc.... these things are probably possible, it's just not worth breaking through the red tape :D

Also it's hilarious, our Windows machines - ie work laptops - are completely free for us to do what we want with them :) so we can install anything and everything, they trust us to not be idiots and the likes of dropbox and google drive aren't blocked too. Just if we used them we'd be in mighty big trouble :o

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Which is a big part of why the "senior" bit in the title isn't worth what it should be. This is a good read on what the title should mean, but doesn't.
    That's a pretty good read actually, I don't think it should be judged on a timescale as well. You can see it with people who is going to be a senior engineer or tech lead type and who isn't. It all boils down to those that do, the people who just work and do their job and those who influence. Those who influence makes decisions that influence the development process and those are the senior type.

It's like when you see an opportunity for a role "...3 years C++ experience required" that's not a good indicator of how good someone is with a technology, why not let the 1 year experience guy prove himself against the 3 years experience guy. I've seen it myself, using char* when std::string is clearly the better option, raw pointers with malloc/calloc when a simple shared_ptr would have done the job, allocating arrays on the heap when a vector is a much superior option. He may have been doing it 3 years but he's been doing it 3 years badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I would say my most commonly used tool is Google. :D

Actuall scratch what I said, mine is probably Google too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

StackOverflow would be mine :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jester77 wrote: »
    StackOverflow would be mine :D

Googling stackoverflow <question>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Java, Eclipse, Notepad++, Cygwin, Windows 7, Ant, JUnit, Google, Spotify :P

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

My setup at work is a Linux box and iMac next to each other (linked via Synergy).

For IDEs:

Vim+ssh = web development
    Android Studio = android development
    XCode = iOS development

We use git for everything.

The programming languages I've used over the years: C, C++, Objective C, Java, Actionscript, Javascript, Ruby, Perl, PHP and Python.

I've been thinking about switching all future server glue to Go... but haven't done much yet other than some basic messing around with the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Stack 1:
    Python
    PyCharm
    Django
    PostgreSQL
    RabbitMQ
    MongoDB

Stack 2:
    Visual Studio
    C#/.NET 4
    MSSQL
    WCF
    WPF
    WiX and other various tools.

Needless to say. Stack 1 is my preferred choice (About 4x development velocity)

Perforce for SCM (FML)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Was working on a cross platform library til recently, nowadays I'm in Visual Studio land doing Windows client dev (still C++). Throw in Jenkins, SVN, Notepad++ ( :D ), python, bit of this, dash of that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Say it ain't so! Thankfully my workplace is pretty relaxed about that whole area (well what IT don't know, doesn't hurt right?!).

For instance I have Steam installed on my laptop, as long as I'm not running Civ5 during work time nobody cares.

Advertisement