Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Entry into Mechanical Engineering

Options
  • 06-03-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

One of my best mates is seriously considering doing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He has been thinking about it for a long time now and he has decided to go for it now. He's 25. Since graduating a number of years back he's worked in a few different jobs, not really engineering related. He certainly does have an engineers mind, with a strong interest in understanding how things work (especially cars), loves fixing things in his spare time and solving problems.

He is now filling out his application to go in as a mature student. He is considering a few level 7 and level 8 courses. He hasn't studied maths since 2008 for the leaving cert when he got around a B at ordinary level. He has done a level 5 or 6 (Fetac maybe) or so course recently in a course that is somewhat engineering related.

I have a degree in Maths myself and I have been giving him a few ours help with maths per week with maths and I feel he is making leaps and strides with that. I'd like to encourage him to go into the level 8 degree as I think he has what it takes between now and then to get up to speed with maths and physics. I recommended that he takes the leaving cert this year in order to reach the typical higher level maths requirement of many engineering level 8 programs. However, I am not sure how the procedure is for gaining entry as a mature student into engineering programs and I'm not sure the results will be out by the time his application is considered. I believe he does not meet the points requirements for some the courses he is applying for just by a short amount (maybe 50 or so).

I am going to continue teaching him maths anyway as I believe it will be extremely valuable whether he goes into a level 8 or level 7. He needs to brush up on his maths skills anyway. I am just wondering if he will be accepted into an engineering level 8 program without the higher maths and just below the points requirement. How are you assessed?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Have a read of this document, page 30 to be precise. This is just for UCD, but I would guess that it's broadly similar across the different universities.

It states that he needed to have applied by 1 February and all supporting documentation is sent to the school for consideration by mid-March. Late application doesn't seem to be a possibility for that course. It also says:
    Engineering at UCD relies on a strong foundation in mathematics. For school-leavers, we require at least a grade C3 in Leaving Certificate Higher level mathematics (or equivalent in other school leaving examinations). You will need an equivalent level to be able to cope with the modules in the first year of the Bachelor of Engineering (BE) degree programme and you will be expected to develop to a much higher level of mathematics during the programme. Please provide evidence of your mathematical ability.
    Would he consider going an access course? A lot of universities run them (there is info on the ones UCD offers in that document) and would give him a very good chance of getting a place next year.

He should also check if his FETAC course would allow him to apply. He may be able to make a late application with that.

Advertisement