Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa debit card cancelled no reason Bank of Ireland

Options
  • 06-03-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I had my visa debit card cancelled on Tuesday the 4th of February for no apparent reason!

I went shopping on Wednesday and was embarrassed at the till because my card was declined went to the in store atm and it said that my card was not set up to use 365 banking!

I had to leave the shop unable to pay for my items with the card! I rang banking 365 and explained what had happened. The lady on the phone said that I had to activate it at an atm before using it! First - it did not work in the ATM second I've had the card for quite a while with no issue and it doesn't expire for another year or so. Also it is the new type of visa debit so did not need replacing.

She took my card number and explained that my card had been cancelled and a new one is already on its way! I hadn't cancelled it and the only explanation she gave was that it may have been cancelled as a security measure but I was never notified as such. She said she did not have all access to my account to give me an accurate reason and that I should call back in the morning.

I called today and have no further update was asked 3 or 4 times if weather i had rang in to cancel on Tuesday and perhaps forgot! Emmmm no! So this other lady said that if it had been cancelled due to security breach that I should have received a call or notification, nothing!

To top it off she took my number and would call back when they knew more, early days yet I know but surely they should have a better account of these things? Meanwhile I am without a card for the foreseeable future. How can this happen? I find it all quite bizarre and quite an inconvenience and embarrassing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kieran101

Same thing happened to me this weekend, went to pay for my meal and my card was refused! Lucky I had my credit card on me otherwise it would have been pretty awkward!

I rang Bank of Ireland who told me to go through the same procedure as yourself, insert card into ATM and unblock it from there, but i was doubtful this would work so I asked if he would have a look at the card which he did, turns out it had been cancelled for no reason at all. 

Likewise I received no phone call/text message/email about this...although they seem to have no problem ringing when its in their benefit!

I am waiting on a new card to be sent in the post now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

kieran101 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me this weekend, went to pay for my meal and my card was refused! Lucky I had my credit card on me otherwise it would have been pretty awkward!

I rang Bank of Ireland who told me to go through the same procedure as yourself, insert card into ATM and unblock it from there, but i was doubtful this would work so I asked if he would have a look at the card which he did, turns out it had been cancelled for no reason at all. 

Likewise I received no phone call/text message/email about this...although they seem to have no problem ringing when its in their benefit!

I am waiting on a new card to be sent in the post now.
    Hi kieran101,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

Sorry to hear that your card was cancelled, I would like the opportunity to look into this further for you.

Please could you send a private message with your full name, contact number and account holding branch, I can pass this on for a representative who has account access to call you.

Apologies and please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thalimay

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, how are you? I just received a letter from you that my credit card agreement was cancelled and now I must pay the full amount.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. I'm trying to contact the bank a few times because, with money in my account they don't collect the debits, so it's not my fault. Normally i was paying all months till they stopped to collect the debits (yes, I had money in the account).[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, I need to fix that to pay every month by direct debit, as it is impossible for me to pay all the amount together. I want to pay, but just can do it by installments. I don't know how to do that online.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thalimay

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, how are you? I just received a letter from you that my credit card agreement was cancelled and now I must pay the full amount.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. I'm trying to contact the bank a few times because, with money in my account they don't collect the debits, so it's not my fault. Normally i was paying all months till they stopped to collect the debits (yes, I had money in the account).[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, I need to fix that to pay every month by direct debit, as it is impossible for me to pay all the amount together. I want to pay, but just can do it by installments. I don't know how to do that online.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi Thalimay, thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

If your credit card has been cancelled then it would be necessary to contact our Credit Card Team directly in order to make any repayments on the card. 

You can contact our Credit Card Team on 0818 251 251/ 00353 1 404 4000(from abroad) and one of my colleagues would be happy to discuss this with you and offer further guidance. 

I hope that this information helps. If there’s anything else we can do to help please feel free to get back in touch with us here. 

Thanks, Eve 

• Advertisement
Advertisement