Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholesale Fruit in Dublin

Options
  • 06-03-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,
    I eat alot of fruit and I was thinking it would be better to start buying it in bulk to save some money. Would anyone have any idea where to go to buy boxes of bananas or dates etc.? I was in touch with an organic shop but their quote for a 5kg box wasn't much better than the price (per kg) in Tesco.
    I hope this is the right place to post this.

Thanks very much :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're likely to get a lot more helpful replies here in the Dublin city forum :)

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There is a large fruit wholesale place just off Capel street its always jammed there every morning! Not sure how easy it will be to buy from wholesalers without being a trader but worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

jimmii wrote: »
    There is a large fruit wholesale place just off Capel street its always jammed there every morning! Not sure how easy it will be to buy from wholesalers without being a trader but worth a shot!

There is a market there alright where most of the fruit and veg come in. I've seen a sign on the wall saying members of the public are welcome there. It's not far off the Four Courts Luas stop. If they can't sell to you direct I know there are a number of shops open beside the market that do sell to the public, but I'm not sure what the prices are like. Go early in the morning for the market as it seems to shut down by midday

I walk by it most days never noticed the sign before this morning!! Yeh by the time I walk by around 10.30 its all done and dusted and just a few people clearing up I think you need to be there by 8am to see much going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

jimmii wrote: »
    I walk by it most days never noticed the sign before this morning!! Yeh by the time I walk by around 10.30 its all done and dusted and just a few people clearing up I think you need to be there by 8am to see much going.

Think they start at 6am. Place is beautiful inside - got in during the Open House event. They are hoping to make it more accessible to the public in the coming year or so. Slow going though but I think their aim is to make it similar to Temple Bar or the Cork English Market.

• Advertisement

Maldesu wrote: »
    Think they start at 6am. Place is beautiful inside - got in during the Open House event. They are hoping to make it more accessible to the public in the coming year or so. Slow going though but I think their aim is to make it similar to Temple Bar or the Cork English Market.

Yeh the plans look great. I have a shop in the area so have been to a few of the council meetings about it. They are really hoping for big things from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

Try these fruitfellas.ie

Home delivery of fresh fruit&veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Maldesu wrote: »

There was some ponce on the news earlier talking about the plans. No mention of the English Market in Cork or Temple Bar. Some guy blowing on about the building being the biggest market in the "British Isles" back when it was build and saying that they want to develop it into a market similar to Covent Garden Market. Don't know why these West Brit types even reside here. They should all just piss off to the UK. Whatever they do with it, I'm pretty confident it will just be a pale imitation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

zetalambda wrote: »
    There was some ponce on the news earlier talking about the plans. No mention of the English Market in Cork or Temple Bar. Some guy blowing on about the building being the biggest market in the "British Isles" back when it was build and saying that they want to develop it into a market similar to Covent Garden Market. Don't know why these West Brit types even reside here. They should all just piss off to the UK. Whatever they do with it, I'm pretty confident it will just be a pale imitation.

44917284.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP you just walk in and talk to the traders. If something isnt in their stall but just outside it. Its the **** that they sell to the fruit sellers(its the fruit thats damaged or going off). You kinda have to go to a few traders to find the best price and prices are negotiable. None of the traders are really interested in talking, so get in and get out. It is open to the public. The flowers are really good in the market too. They are fresh from Holland and are quite cheap.

I have been to Convent Garden and didnt find it impressive. That part of Dublin 1 is probably the only part of the city to be gentrified. It will be sad to see large amounts of the market turned into stalls selling things you can find in any tesco or farmers market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

pale imitation.

Boom.

44917284.jpg

I'd say there's a load of them out your way. Westminster Road! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'd say there's a load of them out your way. Westminster Road! :D

we have a petition currently to paint all the post boxes red

we have a petition currently to paint all the post boxes red

Pretty sure I saw union jacks flying the last time I was out around there and I'm serious.

Pretty sure I saw union jacks flying the last time I was out around there and I'm serious.

theres a red phone box in a drive way on the road no joke, when it rings it plays swing low sweet chariot

theres a red phone box in a drive way on the road no joke, when it rings it plays swing low sweet chariot

You mean Chariots of Fire? Wikipedia describes Swing Low Sweet Chariot as a "historic American Negro spiritual song".

Advertisement