Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you keep in mind after changing your name?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello!

I've got some questions about changing your name, there is another thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81227537) but as it's already petty old I didn't want to re-open it.

But now my question:
    I'm planning to change my name - actually I want to keep my first and last name and add names (2-3 first names and one last name, two of them because I like them and one of them was my grandmother's name).

1)Does anyone know if there are any restrictions (e. g. only one name)?
    2)Can I only pick certain names or can I choose whatever I like as long as it's not offensive?
    3) After I've added those names - where do I need to change them/who do I need to inform? I'm sure I'll need a new ID and passport and I should inform my bank and employer, but is there anyone else I must inform? (As already said I want to keep my first and last name and only add names).

Cheers,

Fyda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

1. No restrictions on number of names

2. No restrictions on types of names.

3. You tell everyone. Your name is what people call you. If people don't call you "Edmund Blackadder" then your name is not Edmund Blackadder, no matter how many deed polls you execute and register. If people continue to call you Fyda, then that remains your name, no matter how many deed polls you execute and register.

Having said that, it's possible to have more than one name, and in fact it's quite common - e.g. a married woman many be known by her maiden name in professional circles, but by her married name socially.

So, if you say "I want to change my name to 'Edmund Blackadder', what you're actually saying is that you want people to call you "Edmund Blackadder". They won't, of course, unless they know you want it. So tell them all.

If you want to be known as "Edmund Blackadder" just in certain circles the, obviously, you only need to tell people in those circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

Peregrinus wrote: »
    1. No restrictions on number of names

2. No restrictions on types of names.

3. You tell everyone. Your name is what people call you. If people don't call you "Edmund Blackadder" then your name is not Edmund Blackadder, no matter how many deed polls you execute and register. If people continue to call you Fyda, then that remains your name, no matter how many deed polls you execute and register.

Having said that, it's possible to have more than one name, and in fact it's quite common - e.g. a married woman many be known by her maiden name in professional circles, but by her married name socially.

So, if you say "I want to change my name to 'Edmund Blackadder', what you're actually saying is that you want people to call you "Edmund Blackadder". They won't, of course, unless they know you want it. So tell them all.

If you want to be known as "Edmund Blackadder" just in certain circles the, obviously, you only need to tell people in those circles.

Haha, Edmund Blackadder, awesome! <3

So basically...if my name now would be Edmund Blackadder and I would add names to that I wouldn't neccessarily have to tell my bank, employer, landlord, ... - they would all be fine with "Edmund Blackadder"? (just to make sure I don't misunderstand you)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes. You could make a deed poll saying that you are now known as Edmund Ponsonby Smythe-Blackadder III, and never tell your bank, and they would continue to address your bank statement to "Edmund Blackadder", and print that name on your chequebook. You would then have two names; you'd be "Edmund Blackadder" to the bank, and "Edmund Ponsonby Smythe-Blackadder III" to (presumably) at least some other people

But, if you don't tell anybody about your deed poll, just execute it and lock it away at the back of your desk then you would only have one name, "Edmund Blackadder". Your claim in the deed poll that you are now knows as Edmund Ponsonby Smythe-Blackadder III would be a false claim.

The thing to grasp here is that you name is a matter of fact, not a determination of law. What people actually call you, that's your name. The idea of a deed poll is that is supposed to be evidence, a formal record, of the fact that people actually call you Edmund Ponsonby Smythe-Blackadder III. If people don't call you that, but you falsely claim that they do, then you haven't changed your name. You have just falsely claimed to have changed your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

Awesome, that answers all my questions, thank a million!

Advertisement