Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Just on the Johnny Flynn thing it's easy be frugal when you have a lovely pension (60k+) from Limerick co co and your wife earns probably 100k+ (she's a pharmacist with a successful business)
    It always fascinates me how people seem to have detailed and intimate knowledge of the private financial affairs of others.
    Again, I have no affiliation to Flynn, but I will say this...the guy has a college degree-2 actually-in pretty demanding areas of study, and his wife, being a pharmacist,obviously ain't short in the brains department either. They have put in the slog in college, and that investment is hopefully paying off.
    Pennies don't fall from heaven, they have to be earned.
    When some councillors claim payment of €300 for a printer- and when I run my business on a Canon printer from Tesco for €49.99- then I begin to feel stiffed by the guy pissing on my leg and claiming it's raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Of all the candidates I have met the only one who made any sense and impressed me at all was the Green guy- Torben Uunk.

A big step up on Meaney imo so I will give him a chance on Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

golfball37 wrote: »
    Of all the candidates I have met the only one who made any sense and impressed me at all was the Green guy- Torben Uunk.

A big step up on Meaney imo so I will give him a chance on Friday.

Well, the issues I would be raising with a green candidate is that they want petrol at €5 a liter, coal at €100 a bag, oil at €2 a litre, cars with 200% tax on them, 5000% levy on industry, electricity at €10 per kw/h and so on and so forth.
    Greens just want to tax anything they see as not environmentally friendly into oblivion, without any regards to people, industry, the economy or even the future survival of the state.
    Just as dangerous as the AAA, who also may have laudable goals, but one wonders if they have even the faintest idea how to achieve them.
    A "traditional" party may not look attractive, because they don't promise us nice things, but it has to be said that they will have a much clearer idea about political reality and what is feasible and achievable.
    My issues would be rising taxation, dwindling income, lack of credit for businesses, the development of Shannon airport and industrial estate, infrastructure, public transport and just what the grand plan is for the future survival of the region, because with everything that we have, Clare has a lot going for it.
    I don't see many candidates out where I am and I'm keeping an open mind, but beware of parties that promise too much.

I hear the SF candidate O'Reilly has pulled out?

Any truth to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A 'third hand' verbal report to me was that 'some' SF candidate had resigned because of some Facebook remark/post he made some years ago that is termed 'racist' ....... something about the traveller troubles that flared up in England some time ago.

That is hearsay .......

• Advertisement

Well, the issues I would be raising with a green candidate is that they want petrol at €5 a liter, coal at €100 a bag, oil at €2 a litre, cars with 200% tax on them, 5000% levy on industry, electricity at €10 per kw/h and so on and so forth.
    Greens just want to tax anything they see as not environmentally friendly into oblivion, without any regards to people, industry, the economy or even the future survival of the state.
    Just as dangerous as the AAA, who also may have laudable goals, but one wonders if they have even the faintest idea how to achieve them.
    A "traditional" party may not look attractive, because they don't promise us nice things, but it has to be said that they will have a much clearer idea about political reality and what is feasible and achievable.
    My issues would be rising taxation, dwindling income, lack of credit for businesses, the development of Shannon airport and industrial estate, infrastructure, public transport and just what the grand plan is for the future survival of the region, because with everything that we have, Clare has a lot going for it.
    I don't see many candidates out where I am and I'm keeping an open mind, but beware of parties that promise too much.

Local election, local issues. Traditional parties built housing estates in flood plains near me, for all their so called "political reality" good ol greed won the day. I'd rather pay a bit extra for a bail of briquettes than support the cartel of patronage that have milked this country since its inception.

I understand what you are saying .... but it sticks in my craw that it is 'political' reality.

For the most part that political reality seems to ignore the social realities of a large number of people.

A 'third hand' verbal report to me was that 'some' SF candidate had resigned because of some Facebook remark/post he made some years ago that is termed 'racist' ....... something about the traveller troubles that flared up in England some time ago.

That is hearsay .......
    reported by the Journal and picked up by Yahoo
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sinn-f-candidate-resigns-over-anti-traveller-comments-080738003.html#9pt52Kl

I wonder what it was he posted ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I wonder what it was he posted ......

I posted a link to this story last night

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I posted a link to this story last night

Did it include the text he posted on FB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Did it include the text he posted on FB?

No, but i saw the comments on FB yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've removed the Facebook screen grabs - Please don't post offensive material in this forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm back from voting, have to say it was great to vote in a council premises rather than a school, a pet peeve of mine was always that 1 school in a location closed when there was loads of council space available.

There was an awful lot of people on the ballot paper, half of whom I never heard of or saw a poster for.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Have to agree, a long list for the Co. Council.
    Just looking back through this thread now and the original post: Mods, were any candidates approached to interact with this thread....I know that would have taken a lot so maybe not feasible but just wondering what the reaction was if any approaches were made?

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Have to agree, a long list for the Co. Council.
    Just looking back through this thread now and the original post: Mods, were any candidates approached to interact with this thread....I know that would have taken a lot so maybe not feasible but just wondering what the reaction was if any approaches were made?
    You believe these guys can turn on a computer?;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It would be great to have an open and frank discussion with a local representative on here, I was involved in modding a questions thread in the past and I can tell you it's a f**king nightmare, unfortunately some posters can be children and they normally descend into a slagging match very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

You believe these guys can turn on a computer?;)

I hope so......don't we pay for the computers/phones for them?

Advertisement