Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help - Subsidised accomodation being pulled

• 07-03-2014 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I really really need some help. My daughter is an Access student in DCU and has received 100% scholarship for accommodation. Initially she was on the higher level grant "disadvantaged" but this is now going to drop as I took up a low-paying job which bumps me over the threshold, but I am not even meeting my bills so can't help her out in any way. We live on the other side of the country and she is in a complete meltdown. I thought that once she had the 100% subsidised accommodation that she had it for the full degree course? Can anyone please give some info? It's looking like she's going to have to defer college (best scenario) as 3,000 grant is not going to be enough to cover her accommodation costs for the year and everything else.. I didn't think they could do this - absolutely devastated - we have been under so much stress past few years as i'm separated from my husband.. we have been to hell and back and finally things going right and now this.. Does anyone have any experieince of getting this or the 50% subsidy - are they normally for the full degree?? would really appreciate anyone writing asap as it's urgent.. so worried about her.. she has been through so much and now this..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'm sorry I've no experience with this, but I'd recommend she go up to the SU and ask for Lorna, the welfare officer. She should be able to help or at least point in the direction of someone who can.
    I hope everything works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Thanks so much for that - it's a complete nightmare and the way she's been treated is awful.. the way she was spoken to.. Thanks again for the pointer. If there's anyone else has ANY advice, or experiences of the subsidised accommodation please feel free to message me directly - i really thought this was for the whole degree.. really doesn't make sense.. give it then pull it in final year.. you're worst off if you don't finish your degree..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Is it the student grant or access accommodation that was cut? Because it's two completely schemes in terms of appeals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Hmm, I would have thought that the access scholarship lasted the entire 3 or 4 years, no matter if circumstances change? Are you sure it's been pulled? or are you just assuming it? By my book, if she still qualifies for the E3000 grant, then surely she still meets the access programme's criteria.

Anyway, if it comes that it is been pulled, it's possible to look for cheaper accommodation elsewhere. It's possible to find accommodation for 250-300 a month, which is about 2500-2700 a year. But I see your problem, 3000 wouldn't be enough so I'd student loan from the credit union would be a very smart choice as the interest rates are next to non existent in comparison to a bank. There's also the student assistance fund which is worth about another 800-1200 year a year, so that'll surely help.

Anyway, get in contact with the Access office and the DCU SU immediately to find out what's happening, especially the Access office. They treat access students very well, and from what I've heard will try to help in tough situations like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

Cant she get a part-time job to cover the rent? What's stopping her doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 canihelp

Whoa, she has been a lucky lady. i'm in DCU though not on access. My friend is on access in DCU and said that only a small number of people get this scholarships and that they are for one year only. In exceptional circumstances they give it for two years. She tried really hard to get one. If it was for a full scholarship that is €4000 per year and your daughter have a full grant plus topup that is €6000. That is €10,000 per year (€20,000 for the last 2 year). I cannot believe that she has spent all that. I have only €3300 per year, your daughter has had it easy. My friend told me that ALL access students are given either accommodation or financial scholarships so your daughter is not be dropped by access. Life may not be as cushy as she had it she will just have to be like the rest of us now - poor!

canihelp wrote: »
    Whoa, she has been a lucky lady. i'm in DCU though not on access. My friend is on access in DCU and said that only a small number of people get this scholarships and that they are for one year only. In exceptional circumstances they give it for two years. She tried really hard to get one. If it was for a full scholarship that is €4000 per year and your daughter have a full grant plus topup that is €6000. That is €10,000 per year (€20,000 for the last 2 year). I cannot believe that she has spent all that. I have only €3300 per year, your daughter has had it easy. My friend told me that ALL access students are given either accommodation or financial scholarships so your daughter is not be dropped by access. Life may not be as cushy as she had it she will just have to be like the rest of us now - poor!

How much is normal access financial support in comparison ?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

canihelp wrote: »

Dont know where your getting your info access students get an extra 1000 euro or free accommodation although its very hard to get the accommodation. She wouldn't get any more money from access and would just get 5915 a year from SUSI.

Steodonn wrote: »
    Dont know where your getting your info access students get an extra 1000 euro or free accommodation although its very hard to get the accommodation. She wouldn't get any more money from access and would just get 5915 a year from SUSI.

I presume he/she means that the accommodation is worth 4000 euro. And I'd guess if the OP's child was moved from free accommodation They'd receive the financial scholarship of 1000 euro above?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

Steodonn wrote: »
    Most people get 3000 from susi or even less and have to pay the rest by getting jobs.No pity felt here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement