Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

commercial rates need a reduction.
    local needs planning for one off builds needs abolishing.
    paid parking in villages like leixlip, maynooth, naas and celbridge needs pearing back.
    more loading bays in villages for commercial use.
    removal of speed ramps from some main roads (gleneaston in leixlip , near maxol in celbridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

commercial rates need a reduction.
    local needs planning for one off builds needs abolishing.
    paid parking in villages like leixlip, maynooth, naas and celbridge needs pearing back.
    more loading bays in villages for commercial use.
    removal of speed ramps from some main roads (gleneaston in leixlip , near maxol in celbridge)

Has Maynooth now got on street paid parking?

"local needs planning for one off builds needs abolishing." what does that mean?

Joe Public wrote: »
    Has Maynooth now got on street paid parking?

"local needs planning for one off builds needs abolishing." what does that mean?

If you want to build a one off house , on a site you bought, unless youve lived within a few (i think 5km) for 10+ years you wont get planning for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Paid parking is coming in 2014

MYOB wrote: »
    Paid parking is coming in 2014

It will be easier to get parking in Maynooth when paid parking comes as there will be less all day/all night parking. It will be better for business as people will be more inclined to drive and expect to get parking around the main st. area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

It will be easier to get parking in Maynooth when paid parking comes as there will be less all day/all night parking. It will be better for business as people will be more inclined to drive and expect to get parking around the main st. area.

Same was said here in Newbridge. The reality was very different. People will pay and you still will not find on street parking. Dunnes stores employs a person to walk around checking reg plates of cars using their car park for all day parking. I suspect the same will occur in tesco maybooth. Good businesses will bring people. Pound shops, cash for gold and estate agents will not.

Ask yourself where the money will go. We were told it will be ring fenced and stay local. That never happened. It is a cash cow for the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Here's what paid parking got the people of Newbridge.
    2ltkq9x.jpg

No, it wont, I do my shopping in tesco or dunnes in maynooth because the parking is free , I dont shop at all in leixlip anymore because its not. I know a lot of people who are the same, availability or not , people (myself included) refuse to pay for parking and it just drives people out of their own town to shop at the large multinational stores who do provide free parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

No, it wont, I do my shopping in tesco or dunnes in maynooth because the parking is free , I dont shop at all in leixlip anymore because its not. I know a lot of people who are the same, availability or not , people (myself included) refuse to pay for parking and it just drives people out of their own town to shop at the large multinational stores who do provide free parking.

Mr Cartman, if you avail of free parking at the moment to do your shopping, why are you interested in pay parking as it won't affect you?

Damien360 wrote: »
    Same was said here in Newbridge. The reality was very different. People will pay and you still will not find on street parking.

Eh, I think you've just set out why the cost of on-street parking should be increased. If there are no free spaces and the enforcement is high (that's a given in Newbridge) then the cost of the spaces is too low. Increasing the cost per space will free up spaces from those who cannot or are unwilling to pay the extra.

• Advertisement

I've yet to hear of anywhere in Ireland where traffic calming/ramps have been removed. can't see how any candidate can ensure that this will happen.

HonalD wrote: »
    Mr Cartman, if you avail of free parking at the moment to do your shopping, why are you interested in pay parking as it won't affect you?

The train stations did paid parking and theb everyone else had to as commuters were using shopping centre / street parking, wont be long before tesco and the like suffer

The train stations did paid parking and theb everyone else had to as commuters were using shopping centre / street parking, wont be long before tesco and the like suffer

Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making. Is it about Maynooth?

HonalD wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't understand the point you're making. Is it about Maynooth?

His point is that due to the likely abuse of their existing free carparks when pay parking comes in, the two shopping centres are very likely to start charging also. Considering they are at two ends of the main street and its easy to walk to anywhere on the main street from either its pretty much inevitable people will park there instead.

As it is, take a look at the number of cars parking in the nearest corner of Tesco versus the number of shops / traffic to the shops there.

They'll just do like the square in Tallaght. 3 hours free parking so as not to inconvenience the genuine shoppers but stops the all day parkers.

ken wrote: »
    They'll just do like the square in Tallaght. 3 hours free parking so as not to inconvenience the genuine shoppers but stops the all day parkers.

That was a move against Luas parkers though, there's very few other shops to walk to from the Square - unlike Maynooth Village.

That was a move against Luas parkers though, there's very few other shops to walk to from the Square - unlike Maynooth Village.
    Same principal thought. People parking to go shop locally or people parking to get the Luas somewhere. Tallaght also introduced the pay parking because Tallaght hospital is €2.50 p/h and is only a 3-5 min walk away.

ken wrote: »
    Same principal thought. People parking to go shop locally or people parking to get the Luas somewhere. Tallaght also introduced the pay parking because Tallaght hospital is €2.50 p/h and is only a 3-5 min walk away.

Its not really though - Luas is all day, 8-6 often, parking and the hospital would often be many hours too.

What's going to happen in Maynooth is shorter-term parking that's usually going to be under 3 hours but still cause space and traffic flow issues in both centres. Manor Mills carpark exit can't handle the centre being halfway busy as it stands - I've been tempted to walk home and come back later to get the car + what I bought before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

iirc on street parking is planned to be free for the first hour and then a charge. That is to encourage local shopping.

There are a lot of national type issues being mentioned on leaflets coming through the door as if the election is for TDs. I'd prefer to see more KCC related issues being mentioned and also how the candidates have been involved in their local area. Manifestos always sound great but mean nothing unless the candidates have some sort of track record that proves they can deliver.

• Advertisement

His point is that due to the likely abuse of their existing free carparks when pay parking comes in, the two shopping centres are very likely to start charging also. Considering they are at two ends of the main street and its easy to walk to anywhere on the main street from either its pretty much inevitable people will park there instead.

As it is, take a look at the number of cars parking in the nearest corner of Tesco versus the number of shops / traffic to the shops there.

There's a big difference between tesco and manor mills. The later paid millions to build their underground car park. It was free for tesco. Manor Mills needs to set a regime that doesn't hurt the shopper but stops all day parking.

Tesco's car park is vast and the introduction of paid parking doesn't make sense there. They may try and set aside an all day parking area but won't introduce paid parking.

Tesco's surface carpark is mostly on the site of the original (pre 2001) store and access routes to its rear carpark (where the 2001-2009 store was built) - it wasn't free either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

What Ill be raising ........

Policing ..... Policing ..... Policing , or rather the total lack of it .

They have to lobby the ' powers that be ' that North Kildare actually exists on the Garda map. It's clear to me that the three towns here are used as a looting station by the ' ne'er do wells ' from certain parts of west Dublin because of the ease of getting in/out and the lack of policing.

I am totally fed up seeing the Shackleton Rd being used as a race track , I have NEVER seen a speed patrol there . They love clocking on the Clane Rd where there are fewer estates / kids , perhaps it's easier pickings.

The other thing , which may seem totally the other way to the sentence above is the terrible state of the speed humps all over Celbridge . My car's steering is in bits because of them ( I crawl over them ) , they were damaged in the ' big freeze ' in 2010/11 and have not been repaired since ....... total disgrace.

Basically , I want the Cllr's to raise the profile of North Kildare.

Councillors have very little control over policing. I'm hoping that the new district system might help the horrendous imbalance in the county - here and the Celbridge/Leixlip district generate most of the rates and revenue for the entire council, and have a huge population; yet get effectively zero services from the entire council. No leisure facilities, no recycling facilities, poor libraries and fire service buildings, the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

One of the issues with parking in Maynooth is the number of students who either a) cannot afford a permit to park on campus or b) bought a permit and can't get a space (more permits issued than spaces available).
    For parking to be controlled in the village, introduction of paid parking in the village is going to have to happen.
    Having one hour free will be beneficial for shoppers but not employees working in the village!

I see Frank O'Rourke's team out bright and early this morning taking down his posters and cable ties, great to see. Looks like a man who means business!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I was pleasantly surprised to see John McGinleys posters being taken down yesterday morning, fair play to them!

Murray's were taken down yesterday too. Was coming home last night and the only ones left up seemed to be Martin Grehan's and Naoise O'Cearuils. That's of the locals anyway. Some EU ones still up - mainly Mullin.

Actually - if anyone sees any of Teresa's still up could you let me know - on thread or PM and I'll arrange to have them removed.

• Advertisement

Actually saw the gang taking down Murray's yesterday. Surprised at the remaining local ones left up at all at this stage. European ones always hang around a bit. Weather has been a bit crap though.

Advertisement