Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship from 820 visa

Options
  • 07-03-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Question lads.

Just wondering will a person on a 820 visa be eligible to apply for citizenship if they haven't fulfilled the 2 year requirement to gain their own PR visa but fulfilled all the other requirements?

If not and they must have completed the two years on 820 and be on their own visa, then will they have to be on their own PR visa for another year before being eligible for citizenship?

It's a tough thing to google for an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For citizenship you need to have spent at least 12 months as permanent resident. If the 820 is a temporary resident visa I do to see how you could meet the citizenship criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mellor wrote: »
    For citizenship you need to have spent at least 12 months as permanent resident. If the 820 is a temporary resident visa I do to see how you could meet the citizenship criteria.

Yeh right, haven't read the description for 820 in a while so didn't see it said temporary.

I'm guessing that also means you'll need to be on the 801 for a year.

Pretty much knew but wanted to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

You must have lived in Australia for at least 4 years of which at least 12 months must be as a permanent resident.
    It used to be only 2 years instead of 4 many years ago but that changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

You must have lived in Australia for at least 4 years of which at least 12 months must be as a permanent resident.
    It used to be only 2 years instead of 4 many years ago but that changed.

This isn't what I asked, but cheers for the insight anyway. Mellor's already giving me the answer needed :)

Advertisement