Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother of the bride not supportive!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The parents aren't going. That's the whole point of this thread. That the mother is refusing to go.

Nope... The point is that they are going, but they'd prefer it was at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

jlm29 wrote: »
    Nope... The point is that they are going, but they'd prefer it was at home.

My bad, just re-read the OP. The parents are paying for the 16 year old though? So why not the 18 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,536 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My bad, just re-read the OP. The parents are paying for the 16 year old though? So why not the 18 year old?

Re-read the OP's first post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

To prove a point, according to the op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Because that is their choice. It's their money and they can decide how to spend it as they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think this is all getting out of hand and as the OP has suggested she won't be coming back to the thread I'm going to lock it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The OP asked me to post this.
    Ok, look I know I said I wasn't gonna post on this again, but I really have to clear some things up, I spoke with my mum over the weekend as I wanted to actually figure out what was wrong with her. I asked her to just be outsraight with me and tell me what she had issue with, firstly, she didn't feel as though she and my dad had enough consultation, for which I apologised, but mentioned that we had said we were looking both at home and abroad, to check all of our options, and that if she had an objection to it that she should have come to me as soon as my partner and I said it, she said that she didn't honestly think anything would come of it and just 'assumed' we would get married in the hotel we spent every summer beside for which, she apologised.

I then asked about my brother, and she said 'he'll be 18 he needs to learn some responsibility', for which I agreed, but said that I felt he was being responsible enough by having to pay half his college fees, and that he simply wouldn't have the money to be there at the wedding, to which she said 'tough'. I had talked to my partner about this coming up before I rang and he said that 'we'll find the money from somewhere', which we agreed that we would put a couple of extra euro away a week so that we could get my brother his flight and his accomodation, upon telling my mother this, she still didn't seem overly impressed, saying something about 'it not teaching him the true value of money', but I explained, that he was my brother and the wedding wouldn't be the same if he weren't there (after much thinking, I really knew that I couldn't not have him there as I really wanted him to be a part of our special day) and she agreed to let me do it.

To make the rest of a very long conversation short, she more or less told me that she would be at the wedding, but would never be overly enthusiastic about me getting married abroad, to which I said that was fine, but she needed to respect the fact that it is happening abroad, even if she doesn't quite agree with it. So it's mainly just 'agree to disagree' point, which is okay with me, I would have liked her to be really on board, but as long as she respects our decision and opinion, we'll respect hers.

If possible.

Many thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement