Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling my Wedding Band - HELP!

Options
  • 07-03-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hey guys - I need some advice,

long story short - I'm getting married in 2 weeks. I booked a wedding band (who will remain nameless) about a year ago. I paid a deposit of €50. In January I went to see an awesome band, befriended the guys in the band - they agreed to play my wedding.

I have tried to cancel the original band for the past month (have left SEVERAL emails, texts, phone messages etc - all made to their contact details on their website). Eventually I track them down on facebook and message them, so they reply last night.

They are looking for "compensation for loss of earnings". I never signed anything, they have no terms and conditions on their website, I was NEVER made aware that I'd have to provide compensation - otherwise I NEVER would have cancelled them - after saving, bargain hunting and scrimping for over a year, to lose a big whack of money like this just at the final fence puts all the last years spartan living completely to waste.

I rang consumer help - they say I entered into a contract with them by paying a deposit and have to agree to their "policies" even though I still have no clue what these policies are.

I find this completely unfair and is a total downer - its really adding to the stress and tension 2 weeks before the big day.

Any advice or help or anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Bilbo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dont think they have an recourse if you never signed a contract with them. Its there fault for not demanding a proper deposit from or getting you to sign a contract that would discourage the type of attitute you have shown.

Whilst they may have to take it on the chin that doesnt me I dont find your behaviour morally repugnant.

Karma's a pain in the ass remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have to say, in agreement with D3PO above, it is absolutely awful that you booked them a full year ago and then try to cancel them two weeks before the event.

However, I'd question what legal standing they have without a written contract.

I guess there is a verbal contract (which could be backed up by FB posts, voicemails, texts etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

It is fairly common with wedding items like hotel, photographer, bands etc that if you cancel you pay compensation. Usually on a sliding scale like 50% if 3 months beforehand, 100% if within 4 weeks of booking etc.

It is a bit of a grey area though that you haven't signed a contract that you're aware of setting out these terms also that when you tried to contact to contact them earlier, they never responded.

Just remember that they probably turned down other bookings for your date so will be out of pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

If you'd read my original post I tried to contact them using email, text, phone, and voice messages to give 6 weeks notice, which in anyone's book is not morally repugnant - even the hotel we're getting married in only have a 28 day period before the wedding after which you have to pay compensation.

And thus far it looks like it could be me "taking it on the chin" to the tune of 2 grand, which is basically paying people to do nothing. Its completely due to their own lack of professionalism that they chose to ignore my previous efforts to contact them for four solid weeks. I'm sure they would have picked up on my messages if I was trying to book them.

I would appreciate any actual legal advice people may have instead of spiritual karma-related nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

do you have records of all the contact attempts?
    no contract signed? was there a verbal contract or discussion of cancellation etc?

worst case, id say you lose your deposit, that's what its for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Evil_Bilbo wrote: »
    If you'd read my original post I tried to contact them using email, text, phone, and voice messages to give 6 weeks notice, which in anyone's book is not morally repugnant - even the hotel we're getting married in only have a 28 day period before the wedding after which you have to pay compensation.

And thus far it looks like it could be me "taking it on the chin" to the tune of 2 grand, which is basically paying people to do nothing. Its completely due to their own lack of professionalism that they chose to ignore my previous efforts to contact them for four solid weeks. I'm sure they would have picked up on my messages if I was trying to book them.

I would appreciate any actual legal advice people may have instead of spiritual karma-related nonsense.

I know when we booked our wedding band they sent an email setting out their terms and we paid the deposit based on that. Did you get any email from them outlining their terms and how they handle cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can't get legal advice on boards.ie FYI.

6 weeks notice after having them booked for a year is still very poor form.

I appreciate that they may be out of pocket over this, which I feel bad about, and have been extremely apologetic towards this band - normally I never mess anyone around like this - I appreciate this is their livelihood and they could maybe have picked up another wedding instead of mine, but why was I never made aware of any of this legal garbage until now?

I basically received a very curt, vaguely threatening email from the band leader 4 weeks after my original efforts to contact him.

Talis -

nope - all I got from them was a receipt for a €50 deposit. I checked and double checked everything relating to this band (website, emails etc) to make sure I would not have to pay a cancellation fee BEFORE I even asked the other guys if they would be available to play for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

I can see where they are coming from looking for compensation. The chances are that the turned down a number of bookings for that night already.
    You are the one that's changed your mind and why should the band be out of earnings because of that?

• Advertisement

My point is we were never made aware that cancellation would incur a fee - EVER. There is no info anywhere suggesting this. If there was, we wouldnt have cancelled - simple as that.

Surely we are not the first couple to ever cancel on them? Why do they not have some terms and conditions in place? And why did they wait so long to get back to us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the only people who can answer those questions are the band.

i would suggest speaking to a solicitor, it wont cost much for 30 minutes of their time and then you will know for sure if you have to pay or not, you may even decide to ask them to send a letter to the band regarding the threatening email if warranted.

you will get 2 schools of thought here, as its just opinions.

i would agree you have no case to pay as a consumer, and the band, as a business, has a higher responsiiblity to have terms and conditions, contracts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I appreciate that they may be out of pocket over this...........I appreciate this is their livelihood and they could maybe have picked up another wedding instead of mine.
    That sums up the situation nicely. Im not being nasty here but you think its quite acceptable to pay a deposit of €50 a year ago and then just a few weeks before the big day you decide to cancel them and then expect to have to pay nothing more?

You are clutching at straws that arent even there. Bringing up issues such as terms and conditions a year after the booking illustrates this point. Why did you not ask to see the conditions of the contract in writing at the time?

You asked for legal advice and as stated that is not allowed here. You should try a solicitor.

Whether you like it or not you did enter into a contract. There was a mutual trust engagement with each party expecting the other to honour their end. I would strongly advise you to contact the guy you had been dealing with and see if you can arrange some sort of agreed settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And why did they wait so long to get back to us?
    Thats a bit rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I really cant believe you think the notice of cancellation you gve was sufficent OP.

Would be interesting to see what your attitude was if this new band you booked called you later today and cancelled. Its surprising how fast peoples attitudes change to suit their own needs.

as others have said no legal advice can be sought or given out here. The band messed up by not having you sign a contract but your attitude shows a lack of common decency unfortunatly not something that can be legislated for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

gafarrell wrote: »
    I can see where they are coming from looking for compensation. The chances are that the turned down a number of bookings for that night already.
    You are the one that's changed your mind and why should the band be out of earnings because of that?

Agreed.
    A verbal contract is still a binding contract, just one that's harder to prove the terms.

I actually find it amazing that the OP is complaining about not knowing their T&Cs. Surely you should have insisted on written terms before booking them or did you just blindly enter into a €2000 contract (possibly because you felt pressurised to have someone booked well in advance) ? :confused:

The OP feeling bad about them being out of pocket is not going to pay their bills

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Wouldn't worry about it OP, if they'd double booked you, you can be sure they wouldn't be paying compensation. Two weeks is fair notice I think.

muffler -

Appreciate the bit on "not asking for legal advice" - didnt know that - ta!

The fact that we booked them a year ago is irrelevant. That was just us being prudent and booking things well in advance. It could have been 3 months ago, it makes absolutely no difference.

its not as if they were "being sound" by only charging me €50 deposit - if anything it is their fault for not charging more. Had I paid €200 deposit there is no way I would have considered throwing that away. Usually a deposit means you have entered an agreement and if that agreement is broken the deposit is kept.

They are a business - they dont have written policies in place about cancellation fees etc - it should be them that take the hit - I've had my life on hold saving for this wedding for 18 months - all to have an extra 2 grand debt lumped in at the last fence.

If they cancelled on me, the €50 would be refunded, and that would be that, but how would they "compensate" me for having no band at my wedding? Me forking out cash for them to essentially do nothing is a bit hard to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

what would you think is a fair compensation then?

"pay their bills"??

They are a wedding band - incase you didnt know they charge ridiculously high prices for doing 2 hours work per night. One cancellation isnt going to have them out on the street. They are a business. Would you feel sorry for a car dealership if you changed your mind about buying a car? (maybe a bad example as this is a product, not a service)

What about a dentist? if you booked an appointment with them, and then cancelled - would you feel sorry about them missing out on your €100? What if you cancelled at the last minute as something important came up and you couldnt make it? What if they asked you for the full €100 even though they did nothing? Would you pay?

And what if the dentist cancelled on you? (even at the last minute) - how would they compensate you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

muffler -

Appreciate the bit on "not asking for legal advice" - didnt know that - ta!

The fact that we booked them a year ago is irrelevant. That was just us being prudent and booking things well in advance. It could have been 3 months ago, it makes absolutely no difference.

its not as if they were "being sound" by only charging me €50 deposit - if anything it is their fault for not charging more. Had I paid €200 deposit there is no way I would have considered throwing that away. Usually a deposit means you have entered an agreement and if that agreement is broken the deposit is kept.

They are a business - they dont have written policies in place about cancellation fees etc - it should be them that take the hit - I've had my life on hold saving for this wedding for 18 months - all to have an extra 2 grand debt lumped in at the last fence.

If they cancelled on me, the €50 would be refunded, and that would be that, but how would they "compensate" me for having no band at my wedding? Me forking out cash for them to essentially do nothing is a bit hard to swallow.

Hardly at the last fence. Surely you were budgeting for the 2000 up until the 6 weeks (or whatever) ago. But, in saying that some compromise should be arranged.

what would you negative nellys think is fair notice then? 2 months? 6 months?

6 weeks is plenty in my book.

If I was posting over cancelling a private consultation with a doctor instead of a band I'm sure your tunes would soon be changed. They are both businesses.

Hardly at the last fence. Surely you were budgeting for the 2000 up until the 6 weeks (or whatever) ago. But, in saying that some compromise should be arranged.

Yes - but this is an EXTRA 2000 that I'll have to pay out on top of what I'm paying the other band - we dont have an extra 2000 built into our contingency plans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

"What about a dentist? if you booked an appointment with them, and then cancelled - would you feel sorry about them missing out on your €100? What if you cancelled at the last minute as something important came up and you couldnt make it? What if they asked you for the full €100 even though they did nothing? Would you pay?

Actually, yes. If they insisted and it wasn't their fault that I cancelled. However, that's not relevant to your query. Just because it's a business, just because they are JUST a wedding band, doesn't take away from the fact that they budgeted for this money to come in. They are people too, with bills to pay.

And yes, if they cancelled on you at the last minute, you do have recourse. Would could sue or bring to court for "damages".

Yes - but this is an EXTRA 2000 that I'll have to pay out on top of what I'm paying the other band - we dont have an extra 2000 built into our contingency plans

So that's the nub of the problem. Not that they want compensation, it's that you don't have the money to pay it, hence the lashing out at them. I understand that. Doesn't make it right, though.

Im not suggesting you give them 2000. That would be ridiculous. But surely you see they deserve something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hoppy90

There is a reason why deposits are in place. If they feel that the cancellation of their services requires more money than this initial deposit, than they should review how they conduct business. Not nice for them obviously but it is tough luck. You've cancelled their services and forfeited the money they felt was sufficient in initialing acquiring them.

I'd kindly inform them of this. If they tried to insist on receiving money they should review how they conduct business. (monthly installments, etc) Tough luck on them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Im not suggesting you give them 2000. That would be ridiculous. But surely you see they deserve something.

Agreed. I would deem €500 fair but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Ha this is rich, blaming a band on their lack of professionalism when it was you who is trying to cancel them a month in advance without penalty. Also your not paying them for nothing, your paying them for taking your booking over a year in advance and ensuring they will be available for your special day. Your paying them for the hundreds of hours of rehearsals they have practised together to make sure every song is perfect. Your paying for YOUR Selection of the best band you could afford. Your paying for the €1000's they've spent on musical equipment making their sound right, that sound you were happy with when you heard them and booked them first. And your paying for the other enquiries they may have refused because your date was unavailable for the last 12 months.

In my opinion judging by your responses this wouldn't be the case. If they cancelled on you a month before your big day you'd be seeking legal recourse stating you booked them a year in advance. But because it suits you the other way around isn't acceptable.

You should do the honorable thing and let them play and be paid in full.

Otherwise they are within their rights to take you to court to claim for loss of earnings and could potentially be awarded their full fee as well as compensation and you may have to pay their court costs as well as your own.

I hope you do the right thing.

RangeR wrote: »
    Agreed. I would deem €500 fair but that's just me.

yes, was going to say 500-750 myself. 500 is fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

The Wedding Band's company only have themselves to blame for not having standard terms & conditions attached to each booking. It would literally take (a once off) 5 minutes to type up some bog standard conditions on an a4 sheet and get each client to fill out and sign when a deposit is handed over.

While the OP isn't covering themselves in glory, it's tough luck for the wedding band and a future lesson for them to get their house in order.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement