Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling my Wedding Band - HELP!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Evil_Bilbo wrote: »
    Patjack - I know I was in the wrong - I apoligised profusely to these guys for giving short notice (6 weeks) - I said I hate to mess them around, I told them the genuine reason I was cancelling them, and that I had nothing against their music and would recommend them to friends etc etc. What more do you want? Obviuosly they want cold hard cash.

General guidelines when I was booking my wedding band a year ago was to book six months in advance and at that allot of bands were expected to be booked solid.

6 weeks is not enough to find another wedding as dates would have been turned away.

I would offer them something to get this closed ASAP, you don't want it ruining your day as you have enough to worry about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Offer them nothing ffs. Tell yer man that you forfeit your deposit and do not require their services, and you wish them well in the future. You'll probably get an abusive email back but that's the last you'll ever hear from them. Use the €450 towards your honeymoon and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Everyone's going to say option A or more because it's not their wedding or money. Offer them €200 with a signed receipt, and if they don't want it apologise and leave them be and if it gets heated ask them to meet you in court. They haven't got a leg to stand on to be honest, no signatures, no terms posted anywhere. I'm sure people saying a verbal contract is just as valid is nonsense without witnesses on both sides. As far as the courts are concerned there's probably not even any proof you booked them at all.

€50 deposit on anything that costs €2000 is ridiculous and they should have known that as well. Every other service / product going considers what should happen if someone cancels / changes their mind and makes it clear from the outset. Onus was on them to do this all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mad Bull

roadsmart wrote: »
    Offer them nothing ffs. Tell yer man that you forfeit your deposit and do not require their services, and you wish them well in the future. You'll probably get an abusive email back but that's the last you'll ever hear from them. Use the €450 towards your honeymoon and enjoy.

Totally agree with this post.
    Tell them " F€£K right Off ".
    You have forfeited your deposit, so they get to keep it if you cancel.
    End of story.
    Don't leave them try and scare you.

Id put money on it that it wont go any further.

Let us know what you decide to do or how you get on.

Just re-reading the reply, sounds like he knows well that the band are not going to pursue this and is making veiled threats as a last ditch effort to get a few euro out of you. As a previous poster said, screw em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

If a band is charging 2000 for a wedding then they should be professional enough to get a 'proper' deposit and provide terms and conditions etc. My sis is paying 1600 for her band - paid 200 deposit and has received several emails from them with terms & conditions of cancelling (both sides) etc. Also emails re play lists and requests etc. Her wedding is another 6 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

They accepted a deposit, that should cover a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Talk to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

DO NOT GIVE THEM A PENNY!

They sound like scumbags. They certainly would not get a penny now in SCC if you produced this thinly veiled threat.

As for all the Mother Teresa's saying to give them €500
    etc, that's very easy to say when it's not your money.

Talk to your solicitor.

Why? OP has already got consumer advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Wouldn't be some kick in the ass if the new band cancelled on you now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Sounds like they know they haven't a leg to stand on by going to court so they are they are going to try and extort some money out of you without taking that route. Tell them you paid the deposit and that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Properly best to speak to a solicitor and you could save yourself €2,000 very easily or agreed a reduced amount overall.

Why strikes me the most, €50 deposit is relatively small deposit and to have no contract is another interesting point.

All related parties in the wedding industry generally have contracts as a means of covering themselves if a scenairo was to occur like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

A 50 euro deposit sounds very small for a wedding band. Accepting such small money would eventually end in situations like this, they should have asked at least 25% of their fee.Hopefully they put it down to experience and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Aside from the morality of your decision they haven't any recourse legally due to no contract/terms specified and your deposit forfeited. Any offer of more money may make it seem that you are agreeing that they have a right to be paid more than just the deposit and if they did try and pursue it they would have more of a case. I would tell them that you are forwarding the email to the Gardai and the matter is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,146 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dave1982 wrote: »
    A 50 euro deposit sounds very small for a wedding band.
    Most people are wrongly picking on the deposit amount as being a reason why this particular band are amateurs or they dont know what they're doing etc etc.

The payment of a deposit forms the basis of a contract even if it was only 5 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just ignore them. Sounds like they are being a bit bullyish. Fine tis bad form to cancel them but as you say you did try to contact them well in advance, so that is their own fault. And the deposit that is what it is there for incase you cancel they don't get it back fair is fair.. Wouldn't be bothered with a solicitor just tell them to stop contacting you and then sod them. If they have nothing written down or signed by you then they have no proof you even booked them. So if they decide to act like twats they don't have a leg to stand on let them at it and enjoy yer day

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LeaveitOff

You don't want something like this hanging over your head at the same time.

They're coming across as an unprofessional outfit, especially going by that last email, and at this stage, they don't have a leg to stand on. 50 quid deposit for a 2 grand job is ridiculous.

Offer them 200-250 with the hope of shaking hands at something less than 450. If you offer 450, they'll come back with a counter number.

I don't think anything will come of it if you cease communication but I reckon you're just better off putting it to bed and moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Milly33

Out of pocket is a bit much too. If they are that good they will have plenty more gigs lined up and they make a crap load for weddings I bet so I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 46,146 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sweetie wrote: »
    I would tell them that you are forwarding the email to the Gardai and the matter is closed.
    Seriously?

So if you fell behind on your mortgage or phone or electricity supply payment etc etc then you would forward any demands for payment to the Gardai?

Im amazed, I really am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

Milly33 wrote: »
    Out of pocket is a bit much too. If they are that good they will have plenty more gigs lined up

they couldn't have gig lined up as the OP had booked them.

The OP is just looking for someone to tell them that all is good and what they did was standard and mannerly etc ....

The reality is by the virtue that you paid the deposit you entered in to a contract with the band for them to play at your wedding on a certain date and to pay them €2000 for this.

Now you are cancelling the contract unilaterally and regardless of the lack of T&C's the agreement is still in place. They will be able to provide the service so you in theory will have to stump up your end of the agreement.

However, I'd imagine if you offered €500 you will not hear anything more.

Also; you need to stop thinking about this as being all about you and your day; and that this is something that you don't need to deal with as it will interfere with you and your day .... it was a business transaction and emotion has to be taken out of it.

You wouldn't want the band arriving at the hotel on your wedding day and setting up on stage before your new band arrive and refusing to leave before you pay them .... in essence ruining your whole night .... quite possible that it would happen !!!!

muffler wrote: »
    Seriously?

So if you fell behind on your mortgage or phone or electricity supply payment etc etc then you would forward any demands for payment to the Gardai?

Im amazed, I really am.

Maybe the garda band could deal with it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

whippet wrote: »

The OP is just looking for someone to tell them that all is good and what they did was standard and mannerly etc ....

The reality is by the virtue that you paid the deposit you entered in to a contract with the band for them to play at your wedding on a certain date and to pay them €2000 for this.

Now you are cancelling the contract unilaterally and regardless of the lack of T&C's the agreement is still in place. They will be able to provide the service so you in theory will have to stump up your end of the agreement.

Also; you need to stop thinking about this as being all about you and your day; and that this is something that you don't need to deal with as it will interfere with you and your day .... it was a business transaction and emotion has to be taken out of it.

You wouldn't want the band arriving at the hotel on your wedding day and setting up on stage before your new band arrive and refusing to leave before you pay them .... in essence ruining your whole night .... quite possible that it would happen !!!!

If they've ignored attempts over a prolonged period to cancel then in my book they're also guilty of breach, if they turned up demanding then let the hotel security deal with it as they would be regarded as unwelcome guests at your function which you have the right of refusal for - if that didn't work then the gardai should be able to handle that bit - threatening to ruin a wedding would deserve nothing less and possibly a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I wouldn't actually offer anything at this stage as it's likely to go against you in two ways.
    a) they're going to be looking for more no matter what you offer
    b) it'll be an admission on your part that there actually was/is a contract of sort

You have them notified now. They can keep the deposit and that's that. Cut contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

"pay their bills"??

They are a wedding band - incase you didnt know they charge ridiculously high prices for doing 2 hours work per night. One cancellation isnt going to have them out on the street.

2 hours work per night? Are you having a laugh OP? Firstly the wedding market tends to be 2-3 nights/week max. The cost is split between numerous members, there is often equipment hire/maintenance to be paid, fuel costs, accommodation costs if it is a long way from home. 2 hours of music time is the minimum, there's also the 1 hour setting up before and after the gig, the rehearsal time for first dances etc., not to mention driving time to and from the gig. Some bands have worked a day job, then driven 2 hours to a gig, spent 4-5 hours setting up, gigging, taking down and the driven 2 hours home again. Hardly easy peasy. Wedding music isn't a 7 day a week industry.

What if that 's the only gig they have booked that week - yes they will be significantly out of pocket. They will be unlikely to re-fill that booking slot, at least with a wedding or function in the 6 weeks notice period that you left them. Most wedding band bookings are at least 1 or 2 years in advance.

Quibbling over 50 bucks? It's probably the least you could offer for the inconvenience.

Just my 2c. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Wouldn't that be just mad. Can you imagine dealing with that on the evening of your wedding... Jebus, I'd love to be a guest to see how that would unfold!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

LeaveitOff wrote: »
    You don't want something like this hanging over your head at the same time.

Or turning up on your wedding day. I'd offer them €200 on receipt of a €250 invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Also - when I said they are ridiculously highly paid - I meant this compared to a regular band. Playing in pubs / clubs will give a purse of 500 MAX for night - just because its a wedding, the price is quadrupled. Anyway - that's totally off topic.

Most pubs/clubs have a steady stream of bands who are willing to play for less money/undercut the experienced bands - hence the clubs/pubs have these bands seeking exposure by the balls, that's why those bands still play there for ****e money. If the band doesn't want to play there, they can always get someone else. Also most decent clubs have their own sound equipment/engineers etc.

Likewise, if you didn't want to pay what you consider a ridiculously high fee, you didn't have to book the first band.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

DublinStiofan,

seriously man - cop on to yourself!

"do the right thing"??? Let them play? Are you mental? They are not really my favourite people at the moment as well you can imagine

Wise up.

Your rude posts only serves to back up your bad behaviour with the band. It seems you will say anything to justify your actions and off with you. You will probably get away with it but hopefully not.. I would be off to the SCC if it were me.

So when did you last touch base with them before this? You hardly gave them €50 and have no talked to them since? Did you re confirm the booking in recent months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Its difficult to take emotion out of this when I've invested so much time money and effort into it over the last 18 months. Business is business, but I was of the opinion a deposit was a security for both parties. I get it back if they cancel, they keep it if I cancel.

The option of ignoring them or telling them to feck off still leaves the threat of SCC after the wedding, or, as you said - them turning up on the wedding day (they know the when and where of the event), and kicking off and causing grief. The threat of this is too much to take.

I think I will offer them €250 (that's a total of €300), and be apologetic and civil, and not mention the bullying thinly veiled threats incase this guy gets his back up and starts acting the boll!x even more.

That said, I will stress that I feel that I am paying for HIS mistake in never mentioning cancellation fees and maybe that this is something they should remedy to avoid this in the future. Also the lack of professionalism in waiting 4 weeks to get back to me. As a previous poster said - I am no expert, I dont book bands or conduct big transactions EVER. I didnt realise I should ask for terms and conditions - hindsight etc.

If he asks for more I will stretch to 450 but no more - but what if he really acts the boll!x and demands more? I just cant afford more.

I'll keep ye updated anyway - thanks for all your help and advice.

bilbo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement