Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelling my Wedding Band - HELP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

marienbad wrote: »
    That what the Gardaí are for, idle threat. Or even worse Revenue

What crime? What income?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

Feel bad for the band as they have more than likely turned away a good few bookings for your date since you booked.

How would you feel if the band did not turn up for your wedding, you would probably be looking for compensation for ruining your wedding.

Mobile Dj wrote: »
    Feel bad for the band as they have more than likely turned away a good few bookings for your date since you booked.

How would you feel if the band did not turn up for your wedding, you would probably be looking for compensation for ruining your wedding.

Mobile, which is more likely to make your blood boil, being told you were being cancelled because the weddings off or being told you were being cancelled because the couple decided they want another dj instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

davo10 wrote: »
    Mobile, which is more likely to make your blood boil, being told you were being cancelled because the weddings off or being told you were being cancelled because the couple decided they want another dj instead?

Another DJ of course, I would accept that things can happen beyond a couples control.

I would simply find out who the other DJ was and send the details to revenue and make sure that like me they are making tax returns.

The other band must be fully aware that another band were booked, If I get a last minute call I always fish a little to get a reason for leaving the entertainment to the last minute, Couples getting married generally book this 1 year in advance minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mad Bull

Mobile Dj wrote: »

I would simply find out who the other DJ was and send the details to revenue and make sure that like me they are making tax returns.
    Bad form hanging someone else like that. Scandalous in fact.
    You ever hear of Karma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Mad Bull wrote: »
    You ever hear of Karma

Bad form undercutting legitimate business people by not paying tax no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mad Bull wrote: »
    You ever hear of Karma

Would you turn a blind eye to somebody stealing from a shop or a car too?

I don't know the industry but surely the second band must realise someone else got shafted when they were booked at such short notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Melendez wrote: »

Think of this again. Absolutely yes, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

davo10 wrote: »
    Hey I'm not scaremongering, on the one hand we have the OP who booked a band for a particular date and venue and who has now cancelled, on the other the band who feel they have been stiffed. It would be on my mind if it was me that if they were annoyed enough they could turn up at the venue on that date looking to either get the money they feel they are owed or to make as much of a nuisance as possible. Never underestimate how pissed off some people can get.

Would be a seriously stupid move for the band to do this,

Not only would it ruin any reputation they have with the hotel as the hotel would have to ask them to leave by the request of the op, but the Gardai might be called to remove them from hotel property.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

thread reminds me of one or two I know who turned into complete d*cks around their wedding time....however the band should have secured their position so they've left themselves exposed to being messed about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

How is there 17 pages of this?

The Band did not arrange an adequate contract detailing cancellation terms. OP will forfeit €50 deposit.

It's the Band's fault that this OP has ditched them. OP could've canceled the night before the wedding, same boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Melendez wrote: »
    It's not quite the same. A contract for services is being offered.

In some areas, particularly the building trades, people are extremely reluctant to take a job that somebody else is "supposed to" have. Years ago I was let down by a plumber (an alcoholic who fell off the wagon big-time) and it was extremely difficult to get another plumber to take over and rescue my situation. Professional solidarity sometimes out-ranks competitiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

17 pages because of what you just said...

could the band have done the same? Would people be siding with the band then or the OP?

Anyone that books a wedding band books months in advance to guarantee them, so if a band cancelled with six weeks to go because they got a better offer or found someone they liked better, would people consider that they gave him adequate time? Would they simply have to return €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Hey everyone.

Still no word - appreciate the input from BenThere, Godge and everyone else and all the advice given. If I dont hear from them soon, I will have to just write a letter with a cheque for the amount I offered and a stipulation that cashing the cheque is accepting that this is "full and complete" payment / compensation / whatever.

Will keep ye posted - actually stunned how much response this has got (good and bad) - talk about polarizing the community.

just to answer a couple of questions - the new band are costing the same (give or take about 100 euro) - it was just down to personal taste and was really carefully thought out (not really a "whim") - I personally prefer the new band. IMO it would be the same (morally good or bad as it may be) to find a photographer that you prefer, and replace one you booked originally. You're only going to ever have one wedding photographer - is it not okay to want your favourite one? (provided the other guy is cancelled properly / given compensation etc)? is it worse to do this to a band?

Will have more news soon hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Evil_Bilbo wrote: »
    If I dont hear from them soon, I will have to just write a letter with a cheque for the amount I offered and a stipulation that cashing the cheque is accepting that this is "full and complete" payment / compensation / whatever.

I can't believe we are in a situation where you are almost begging them to take your money. Ridiculous!

Just pay them the whole €2,000 and be done with it, i'm bored with this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

If I dont hear from them soon, I will have to just write a letter with a cheque for the amount I offered and a stipulation that cashing the cheque is accepting that this is "full and complete" payment / compensation / whatever.

picard.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I will have to just write a letter with a cheque for the amount I offered

I wouldn't do that. You've made them an offer. Wait for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

ha ha - great pic! (metroburgers)

suppose holding off for a reply is much less hassle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Showcase_Cork

In this instance I am afraid that unless the band have specifically stated a compensation clause in a signed contract then legally they do not have a leg to stand on.

The customer made a booking and paid a €50 deposit which was the amount requested by the band. The customer is fully within his rights to cancel that booking as long as he or she is prepared to forfeit any monies paid, in this instance €50. The reason for the cancellation is totally irrelevant.

It could be argued that there is a moral issue here but that is entirely down to the conscience of the customer. They are not obliged to pay any compensation to the band legally and do not even have to explain their reasons for cancelling if they do not wish to do so.

The question of whether it is morally fair on the band or is negated by their ability to not protect themselves by requesting a larger deposit as a deterrent against this occurrence.

The band in question should learn from this, accept it and increase their deposit to prevent it happening again as easily.

This is my own personal professional opinion based upon both experience and experiences!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 mulamike

Really bad form by the OP to cancel a band for such a lame reason at short notice, not to mention the breath taking arrogance and lack of contrition he has displayed throughout this thread.

I hope they show up on his big day. Since we're so strict on legalities, surely it's okay for them to enter a church and to enter a hotel until asked by the gardai to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mad Bull

dan1895 wrote: »
    Bad form undercutting legitimate business people by not paying tax no?

No. I think the government gets enough from the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 mulamike

Cabaal wrote: »

Not only would it ruin any reputation they have with the hotel as the hotel would have to ask them to leave by the request of the op, but the Gardai might be called to remove them from hotel property.

Im sure the gardai would put it high on their list of priorities. Blues and twos all the way there :pac:

Cabaal wrote: »

The band haven't shown themselves to be the deepest thinkers so far. Don't underestimate how annoyed people get when they think they are being screwed, this forum is littered with examples of that over small amounts, why do you think these guys wouldn't be really pissed over over being shafted out of €2000?

Why would the gardai be called if they don't break any laws? What has the hotel got to do with a couples choice of band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

mulamike wrote: »
    Really bad form by the OP to cancel a band for such a lame reason at short notice, not to mention the breath taking arrogance and lack of contrition he has displayed throughout this thread.

I hope they show up on his big day. Since we're so strict on legalities, surely it's okay for them to enter a church and to enter a hotel until asked by the gardai to leave.

Yeah I hope they do this too.

And afterwards, the OP can let future possible clients know publicly about the bullying, threats and the fact they showed up after cancelling (regardless of circumstances) and tried to ruin his wedding.

I'm sure they'll be flooded with bookings afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

I'm sure the band would be made feel very welcome at the reception by 100+ boozed up male guests, I would hope that they aren't that stupid as to actually turn up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement