Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend Earphones for Gaming and Travel

• 07-03-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am in need of a new headset for gaming and I also need a set of decent ear phones for travelling.

I'm thinking it would make most sense to try and find something that will do both? My initial thoughts are to get a decent set of ear phones and a clip-on mic to perform the gaming/skype function.

In terms of budget, I am thinking around €100. I know you can spend up to €200 for really good ear phones, but is the difference between a €100 pair and a €200 pair really that great? Even if there is a difference, I'm not sure my relatively infrequent use of them for listening to music etc. would justify it.

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations?

On a final note... for almost every headset I looked at on Amazon, I found people having issues with mic volume. I'd love to avoid this if at all possible!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

You're a bit vague with your question so perhaps can you can elaborate a little on what you're looking for?

eg. Will you be gaming or travelling predominantly as some headphones have long leads which could be a nuisance on the go but good for gaming? Will you be listening to much music and what genres are they? How important is isolation/comfort? What is your budget? Do you need to soundwhore when you're gaming? Will you be using an mp3 player, phone or ipod as some sources are better able to power headphones and you might need an amp to get the most out your headphones? Are you looking at earphones or headphones? Would you consider IEMs?

Finally I'd have a read of this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-2-20-2014-boompro-list-chicoloms-faq-added

Some of the headphones are outside your budget but it'll give you an idea of what are good headphones that can be used for gaming. Don't take it as gospel, I don't agree with some of his ratings but it's still a good starting point to learn. Some headphones don't emphasise bass so explosions/gunfire in first person shooters isn't so dominating or distracting. Others push bass to the forefront and you could miss hearing enemy footsteps. The Creative Aurvana Live! and an Antlion modmic might be your best bet for your budget. If you could push it a bit more, the Beyerdynamic dt770 would be good too but it's not that portable due to it's long cable and bulky size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

What manner of travelling?

I'd be going down the route of the fantastic value for money Chinese stuff that docentore(?) was on about.

Advertisement