Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Insurance for Penalty Points

• 07-03-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Howdy all,
    I am a bit of an eejit who racked up 8 penalty points in 2yrs, 4 through the speed vans on 2 separate occasions (both only 10km/h over speed limit) and 4 points and 3 month ban for driving with a hangover. (Only have my full license 1yr so was judged as if I was a prov driver and my alcohol limit was lower so I failed, had I my Full License 2yrs I would have passed).

Anyways thats just my story but now that my ban is over, I need to get insurance again and all I am getting is quotes of 1800-2000 and sometimes more. Do any of you have similar experience in dealing with insurance companies and who is the best to go with in this case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Keep ringing around, but honestly I would suggest that quotes of €1800 after a ban and with 8 points on your license isnt actually all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

After that performance you're doing alright to be getting quotes at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr-Marty

I thought it might be a bit lower considering a full license and I am 25 now. I got set up with Chill.ie through Asgard on 3rd Party F&T for €1580. It was the best I could get.

Thats quite a decent price. Age and license type are largely irrelevant here; you are coming off the back of a ban and have a large number of penalty points, you are considered to be a very high risk for insurers and any quote that you get will be priced as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Mr-Marty wrote: »
    and 4 points and 3 month ban for driving with a hangover.

That's a brilliant way of saying you were caught over the legal alcohol limit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr-Marty

Yeah apparently I am a danger to myself and the road :/ I just accepted my insurance is gonna be extraordinary for the next 2-3yrs and bought it.

Also "driving with a hangover" is the only way I can accept what I done. You get nicer looks when you say that rather than I am drunken knacker :)

Mr-Marty wrote: »
    Yeah apparently I am a danger to myself and the road :/ I just accepted my insurance is gonna be extraordinary for the next 2-3yrs and bought it.

I actually still can't understand why someone with penalty points or who had a driving ban, is considered higher risk for insurance company.
    If speed cameras were operating in area I mostly drive, and I kept driving like I do, I'd probably collected over 100 penalty points in last month.
    But I didn't, because there is no speed vans here.
    My insurance company is happy that I'm perfectly safe driver with 15 years no accident driving history and my premium is quite low.
    Would having 10 penalty points on my account change the way I drive, and make me more liable to crash - of course not.
    And if I had one pint too much and was caught and got a year ban.
    Would I be more dangerous driver after that? Of course not.
    That's why I think all this is one big bullsh1t what insurers are doing.

OP - you are just a victim of unfair insurance market we have in Ireland.

Also "driving with a hangover" is the only way I can accept what I done. You get nicer looks when you say that rather than I am drunken knacker :)
    That's what I said - very smart way of saying you were driving drunk ;P

CiniO wrote: »
    I actually still can't understand why someone with penalty points or who had a driving ban, is considered higher risk for insurance company.

You cant understand why somebody who has a conviction for drink driving and has racked up 8 penalty points might be seen as a high risk? Really? :confused:

Insurance works on statistics. Statistically the OP is a very high risk. Ergo policy is priced accordingly.

djimi wrote: »
    You cant understand why somebody who has a conviction for drink driving and has racked up 8 penalty points might be seen as a high risk? Really? :confused:
    Yes.
    Really.
    Are there any statistics showing that people with higher amount of penalty points cause more accidents?
    I'm absolutely serious here.
    Insurance works on statistics. Statistically the OP is a very high risk. Ergo policy is priced accordingly.

When I was living in Poland I used to collect a lot of penalty points.
    I once even exceeded the limit, and had to pass my driving test again.
    Did it make me more dangerous driver? I don't think so?
    My insurer didn't think so as well, as they were not interested in my penalty points.
    What they were interested was if I was causing any accidents. I wasn't.
    And because of that I gathered high NCB and my police was cheap.
    They were happy, and I was happy.

Im not even going to bother retorting to that one. If you need it explained to you why someone who has a history of repeatedly offending is going to be seen as a higher risk than someone who has a perfectly clean license then its really not worth the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

If speed cameras were operating in area I mostly drive, and I kept driving like I do, I'd probably collected over 100 penalty points in last month.
    My insurance company is happy that I'm perfectly safe driver with 15 years no accident driving history and my premium is quite low.
    Would having 10 penalty points on my account change the way I drive, and make me more liable to crash - of course not.
    That's why I think all this is one big bullsh1t what insurers are doing.

OP - you are just a victim of unfair insurance market we have in Ireland.

That's what I said - very smart way of saying you were driving drunk ;P

Strange statement, I would hope that someone who had X amount of points would yes be more aware of their driving, the fact you would have ten points would in the insurers eyes make you a greater risk (why would it not?). As for one pint too much; well my views are one pint is too much, but that's for a different thread.
    As for the cost of insurance the OP is lucky he getting a reasonable quote. Considering he's built up more points on his licence (deserved or not) is an indication of his lack of awareness, be it limits or being in a speed enforcement area and so yes may well be a greater insurance risk.
    Speaking for myself any one and I'm paraphrasing you, who has tens points and doesn't amend their driving and on occasion drinks one pint too many and drives; is a greater risk on the roads and so rightly would pay increased insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Yes.
    Really.
    Are there any statistics showing that people with higher amount of penalty points cause more accidents?
    I'm absolutely serious here.

When I was living in Poland I used to collect a lot of penalty points.
    I once even exceeded the limit, and had to pass my driving test again.
    Did it make me more dangerous driver? I don't think so?
    My insurer didn't think so as well, as they were not interested in my penalty points.
    What they were interested was if I was causing any accidents. I wasn't.
    And because of that I gathered high NCB and my police was cheap.
    They were happy, and I was happy.

Seriously, someone with 8 points and a 3 month drink driving ban in a year and you are trying to defend them by arguing that this does not prove they are a high risk driver. Your ultimate proof is that you accumulated enough points to have your license revoked also and therefore this does not make one a high risk or bad driver.

NEWS FLASH - The OP is a high risk driver and i'm only sorry that his insurance isn't higher - The driving with a hangover argument is nonsense! Secondly you are also a dangerous driver if you rack up the points continually despite your own delusions that you and the OP are such wonderful drivers that penalty points means nothing.

I would love to know your age range - Usually it's young inexperienced male drivers who think they are infallible drivers on the road capable of break neck speeds whilst under the influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

To be fair though, there shouldn't be an arbitrary time limit from when someone receives their license to their allowable drink drive limit. You've either passed the test or you haven't, end of story. After that point, your driving ability does not depend on the amount of time that has passed, nor does how alcohol effects your driving ability. I've driven 1000km in the past week, I know people who wouldn't do that in a year. I'm all for reducing the limit, but it has to be based on evidence rather than picking a number out of the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just because you haven't been caught doing what you do, doesn't mean that you aren't a crap driver. Just because your insurance company don't know that you drive the way that you do, doesn't mean that you aren't a crap driver. Just because luck has been on your side SO FAR, doesn't mean that you aren't a crap driver. Just because you haven't killed someone yet, doesn't mean that you won't some day, due to your crap driving

Guess what? Crap drivers cause far, far more accidents than the good ones do.

The End.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just because you haven't been caught doing what you do, doesn't mean that you aren't a crap driver. Just because your insurance company don't know that you drive the way that you do, doesn't mean that you aren't a crap driver. Just because luck has been on your side SO FAR, doesn't mean that you aren't a crap driver. Just because you haven't killed someone yet, doesn't mean that you won't some day, due to your crap driving

Guess what? Crap drivers cause far, far more accidents than the good ones do.

The End.

I agree with statement in bold.
    But I don't consider myself a crap driver. Reason for that is that over last 15 years I travelled about 600 - 700k kilometres, and I was always able to get where I wanted without causing any danger or crashing. For me that's kind of a proof that I'm not a crap driver. And my insurance company believes me in that.
    However if I had penalty points, they probably wouldn't believe that I drive safely, while at the same time, those penalty points wouldn't change the way I drive, so also they wouldn't change the risk, would they?

To be fair though, there shouldn't be an arbitrary time limit from when someone receives their license to their allowable drink drive limit. You've either passed the test or you haven't, end of story. After that point, your driving ability does not depend on the amount of time that has passed, nor does how alcohol effects your driving ability. I've driven 1000km in the past week, I know people who wouldn't do that in a year. I'm all for reducing the limit, but it has to be based on evidence rather than picking a number out of the sky.

Oh come on. It makes sense.
    It was proven that driver with short experience needs to focus more than one with more experience. Therefore amount of alcohol which wouldn't affect someone experiences, might affect someone less experienced.
    Also lower limits apply to professional drivers, as full focus on what they are doing is always required.
    I'm not saying that normal drivers don't need to focus when driving. I'm saying that having two limits is good thing, and I consider Irish alcohol limits allright.

But I don't consider myself a crap driver. Reason for that is that over last 15 years I travelled about 600 - 700k kilometres, and I was always able to get where I wanted without causing any danger or crashing. For me that's kind of a proof that I'm not a crap driver. And my insurance company believes me in that.
    However if I had penalty points, they probably wouldn't believe that I drive safely, while at the same time, those penalty points wouldn't change the way I drive, so also they wouldn't change the risk, would they?

You had your license revoked and had to resit your driving test and you still think you are a good driver????

It's not necessarily bad drivers who are the biggest danger on the road, it is bad drivers who think they are excellent drivers who are the biggest danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm suprised OP you are even getting quotes off insurance companys as when you get a ban you get three years endorsement on your licence, and very few insurance companys will take you on.

zarquon wrote: »
    Seriously, someone with 8 points and a 3 month drink driving ban in a year and you are trying to defend them by arguing that this does not prove they are a high risk driver. Your ultimate proof is that you accumulated enough points to have your license revoked also and therefore this does not make one a high risk or bad driver.
    That's exactly what I'm trying to say.
    Amount of point or previous bans on your licence, doesn't make you safe or not safe driver.

NEWS FLASH - The OP is a high risk driver and i'm only sorry that his insurance isn't higher - The driving with a hangover argument is nonsense! Secondly you are also a dangerous driver if you rack up the points continually despite your own delusions that you and the OP are such wonderful drivers that penalty points means nothing.
    I don't have any penalty points at the moment if you're asking.
    Hardly I can have one, as there is no road checkes or speed vans in the area I mostly drive.

Penalty point mean that someone got caught on committing road offence.
    In Ireland most likely it was speeding.

So no - I don't think drivers who commit speeding are less safe from those who don't.
    I would love to know your age range - Usually it's young inexperienced male drivers who think they are infallible drivers on the road capable of break neck speeds whilst under the influence.
    I'm 32, and I've never drove over the legal limit.
    However if I did (f.e. decided to drive back home from the pub on rainy night), how would this affect my everyday driving for the future?
    Only moment when I could be more dangerous would be that night when I decide to drive drunk.
    If I crashed, insurer wouldn't pay anyway, as I was drank.
    So how come suddenly it's bigger risk for them?

You had your license revoked and had to resit your driving test and you still think you are a good driver????
    I haven't had my licence revoked.
    I exceeded legal limit of penalty points in Poland (when I lived there) and I had to resit the driving test.
    If I failed the test, my licence would be revoked until I pass.
    But I passed.

And yes - I still think that penalty points has nothing to do with how good or bad driver you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not really I ranked up a few penalty points for no seat belt. Thankfully they are all gone now. Still don't wear my seat belt.

However if I did (f.e. decided to drive back home from the pub on rainy night), how would this affect my everyday driving for the future?

Because if you have proven that you are stupid enough to do it once then in the eyes of those who assess risk its entirely probable that you are stupid enough to do it again. Thats the way that it works. What the insurance company doesnt know they cant prove, however if you give them an indication as to your driving habits (ie speeding fines, drink driving bans etc) then you are giving them reason to load your policy on the basis of you being an increased risk.

I dont really understand how this is a hard concept to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I've no problem with the limits and considering some jurisdictions not too far away from us recognise that learning doesn't finish once the lessons stop, neither should we. Experience gained by time driving in different situations improves the driver, not just doing mile after mile on motorways.

I find it quite reasonable that professional drivers along with newly qualified drivers, have to think twice about how much they can or cannot have to drink.

I dislike the whole 'driving while hungover' attitude of the OP. I may have said it before, but if you while meeting your surgeon prior to laser eye surgury realised he was hung over, would you accept his explanation that he had a couple of hours sleep and his last drink was at two in the morning. I doubt many would lie down on the operating table but some would reckon he'd be unlucky if was to blow over while on the way to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.
    Amount of point or previous bans on your licence, doesn't make you safe or not safe driver.

I don't have any penalty points at the moment if you're asking.
    Hardly I can have one, as there is no road checkes or speed vans in the area I mostly drive.

So no - I don't think drivers who commit speeding are less safe from those who don't.

I'm 32, and I've never drove over the legal limit.
    Only moment when I could be more dangerous would be that night when I decide to drive drunk.
    If I crashed, insurer wouldn't pay anyway, as I was drank.
    So how come suddenly it's bigger risk for them?
    If you crashed into someone else or damaged their property your insurance would still be compelled to pay the 3rd party cover. The insurer could take a civil suit against you personally to recover the payout but how would they feasibly get paid if you don't have the ability to pay.
    For example, if you seriously injured somebody the payout could potentially run into millions for a lifetime of treatment; do you have that sort of money to pay back your insurer?

You said in your previous post that if speed cameras existed where you drive, that you would have racked up 100 points in a month. They are your own words. 100 points in one month is pretty excessive. That says to me, that you speed pretty much every where that you know you won't get caught. So you are a crap driver. And a very dangerous one too.

Sooner or later, you WILL have an accident, where you will kill/injure yourself or someone else. I don't care whether or not you regularly drive to Timbucktoo without incident. If you speed that often, you ARE a crap driver. Sooner or later, it WILL catch up with you. Unfortunately, thanks to your recklessness and stupidity, it will probably catch up with someone else too, who didn't do a damm thing wrong. And that is the really sad part.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You said in your previous post that if speed cameras existed where you drive, that you would have racked up 100 points in a month. They are your own words. 100 points in one month is pretty excessive. That says to me, that you speed pretty much every where that you know you won't get caught. So you are a crap driver. And a very dangerous one too.

Sooner or later, you WILL have an accident, where you will kill/injure yourself or someone else. I don't care whether or not you regularly drive to Timbucktoo without incident. If you speed that often, you ARE a crap driver. Sooner or later, it WILL catch up with you. Unfortunately, thanks to your recklessness and stupidity, it will probably catch up with someone else too, who didn't do a damm thing wrong. And that is the really sad part.

What you are pretty much saying here, is that drivers who exceed posted speed limit are crap drivers, and sooner or later they will kill someone or themselves (or both), while those who don't exceed posted speed limit, are safe drivers and have nothing to worry about.

Sorry, but I'm using my right not to agree with you. My opinion is totally different.
    Safe drivers are those who drive safely. Crap drivers are those who drive unsafely. Speeding has nothing to do with it.

What you are pretty much saying here, is that drivers who exceed posted speed limit are crap drivers, and sooner or later they will kill someone or themselves (or both), while those who don't exceed posted speed limit, are safe drivers and have nothing to worry about.

Sorry, but I'm using my right not to agree with you. My opinion is totally different.
    Safe drivers are those who drive safely. Crap drivers are those who drive unsafely. Speeding has nothing to do with it.

So you believe that drivers who consistently speed are safe drivers? It's drivers like you that keep premiums higher for the rest of us :rolleyes:

You may or may not be a crap driver but you most certainly are a dangerous driver.

So you believe that drivers who consistently speed are safe drivers?
    I believe, speeding has nothing to do with driving safely or not.
    You can either drive within speed limits unsafely, as well as above speed limits safely.

It's drivers like you that keep premiums higher for the rest of us :rolleyes:
    How do I keep premiums high for others? I never caused any accident.
    You may or may not be a crap driver but you most certainly are a dangerous driver.

I don't think so.

I believe, speeding has nothing to do with driving safely or not.
    You can either drive within speed limits unsafely, as well as above speed limits safely.

The RSA, Gardai and most of the rest of the world (at least those with half a brain) disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion unfortunately most dangerous drivers are of the opinion that they are Michael schumacher. I suppose you are the deluded type who thinks a few beers does not affect your driving ability either?

• Advertisement

You don't seem to think that excessive amounts of speeding has anything to do with being a crap or an unsafe driver? By your logic, a person can be a good and safe driver, even though they do an excessive amounts of speeding? Seriously? If you really think that, then I am done here. There is no point in engaging with some one who is that obtuse.

You may possess all the technical driving skill in the world. You may execute roundabouts and lane changes and hill starts flawlessly. You may be able do a three point turn that would make Jeremy Clarkson cry. But if you speed a lot, then yes, you are a crap driver and an unsafe one.

Advertisement