Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Insurance for Penalty Points

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

zarquon wrote: »
    If you don't agree that they were dangerous then you need to admit they were bad driving. Seriously!
    Of course they were. I agree.
    That's why I got fined, and eventually had to resit my test again to prove I can drive. And I did so.
    Daytime fogs on and reversing the wrong way on a way way street and you think this is neither bad driving nor dangerous.
    It's bad driving. It wasn't dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

CiniO wrote: »

Compare comparable things.
    You can not compare getting penalty point in Poland and Ireland.
    I've been driving in Ireland for the last 7 years, and also never gotten a single penalty point.

What!!! So good drivers get penalty points in Poland but only bad drivers get points in Ireland.

You also said yourself that you don't get points in Ireland because you live in a rural location with no cameras or checkpoints otherwise you would rack them up to.

It's bad driving. It wasn't dangerous.

Good, finally an admission that you were formerly a bad driver

kermitpwee wrote: »
    You have to be lying I don't see how you could be that stupid tbh

To stupid to what?
    To have my own opinion on point and sensibility of speed limits?

I do - and I think I presented this opinion quite clearly.
    Most important is driving with safe speed - not according to speed limit.
    That's my opinion.
    I don't think this opinion makes me stupid or lying to anyone including myself.

zarquon wrote: »
    What!!! So good drivers get penalty points in Poland but only bad drivers get points in Ireland.

You also said yourself that you don't get points in Ireland because you live in a rural location with no cameras or checkpoints otherwise you would rack them up to.

Indeed I said it that way.
    What I meant, was that if I kept driving like I do in my area without being aware of speed cameras that could be here (if they were here), I would accumulate lots of penalty point.
    Obviously I also drive all over Ireland and somehow I have been caught speeding so far - so it looks like I generally know what I'm doing, doesn't it?

Good, finally an admission that you were formerly a bad driver

Having few mistakes, especially at the beginning of your driving career, doesn't make you automatically a bad driver. Everyone makes mistakes.

I was very prone for any police checks as I was driving modified car with loud exhaust. That's why no mistakes on my side were getting away from eyes of the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

To stupid to what?
    To have my own opinion on point and sensibility of speed limits?

I do - and I think I presented this opinion quite clearly.
    Most important is driving with safe speed - not according to speed limit.
    That's my opinion.
    I don't think this opinion makes me stupid or lying to anyone including myself.

Breaking the speed limit on a regular basis like you do is stupid. A speed limit is there to tell you what the max permissible speed is on that road. You have said you often break the speed limits, you are either immature or stupid. You can have your opinions all you like, some rapists and murders have opinions that they have done no wrong and its okay. You have your opinion that it is okay for you to break these speed limits. I have news for you kid its dangerous, that is the general consensus. Slow down for gods sake. All things been equal regardless of skill you are a safer driver at 5km/h less than the speed limit than over the speed limit so slow down. Get some maturity please and don't tell me you have never had an accident, that means nothing. If you keep driving so fast your day will come due to someone else mistake. What good is it to your family when your dead that it wasn't your fault??? Please grow up and slow down.

• Advertisement

Breaking the speed limit on a regular basis like you do is stupid. A speed limit is there to tell you what the max permissible speed is on that road. You have said you often break the speed limits, you are either immature or stupid. You can have your opinions all you like, some rapists and murders have opinions that they have done no wrong and its okay. You have your opinion that it is okay for you to break these speed limits. I have news for you kid its dangerous, that is the general consensus. Slow down for gods sake. All things been equal regardless of skill you are a safer driver at 5km/h less than the speed limit than over the speed limit so slow down. Get some maturity please and don't tell me you have never had an accident, that means nothing. If you keep driving so fast your day will come due to someone else mistake. What good is it to your family when your dead that it wasn't your fault??? Please grow up and slow down.

I can clearly see that you opinion is something like below.

Withing the speed limit = SAFE.
    Above the speed limit = UNSAFE.

Do you really believe that?
    Don't you think that accident might happen at any speed?
    You can be dead tomorrow, because someone else made a mistake. And your speed within speed limit will not save you.

As I said - speed limits - especially in Ireland - are very general.
    80km/h - R roads, 100km/h N roads, 120km/h M roads.

If certain R and N road are about the same, how come it be safe to drive 90km/h on N road, but not safe to do the same speed on R road. Even though they are almost same roads?

I can clearly see that you opinion is something like below.

Withing the speed limit = SAFE.
    Above the speed limit = UNSAFE.

Do you really believe that?
    Don't you think that accident might happen at any speed?
    You can be dead tomorrow, because someone else made a mistake. And your speed within speed limit will not save you.

As I said - speed limits - especially in Ireland - are very general.
    80km/h - R roads, 100km/h N roads, 120km/h M roads.

If certain R and N road are about the same, how come it be safe to drive 90km/h on N road, but not safe to do the same speed on R road. Even though they are almost same roads?

You still haven't answered my question. If someone makes a mistake is it better to be going faster or slower?? Grow up and slow down your not a teen anymore. Perhaps its not your fault perhaps its the polish culture in regard to driving. Poland has 110 deaths per million citizens due to road death, the uk has 32 and the eu average is 60.

You still haven't answered my question. If someone makes a mistake is it better to be going faster or slower??
    I answered this question of yours long time ago.
    Of course it's better to be going slower...

But now please answer my question?
    What does it have to do with speed limits? As in relation to my example above - how come 90km/h be dangerous on one road while not dangerous on other, even though roads are the same standard?

Grow up and slow down your not a teen anymore. Perhaps its not your fault perhaps its the polish culture in regard to driving. Poland has 110 deaths per million citizens due to road death, the uk has 32 and the eu average is 60.
    I think last year (2013) Poland went down to 3300 death on the roads, which would come at about 85 per million.

Anyway - Polish road surely are more dangerous than Irish in general.
    Doesn't mean that my opinion or driving style has anything to do with it.

I answered this question of yours long time ago.
    Of course it's better to be going slower...

But now please answer my question?
    What does it have to do with speed limits?

I never said it has anything to do with speed limits. You said you are breaking speed limits. First of all you are breaking the law, second if you drove at or less than the speed you would be driving slower than you are now which would be safer as you have already admitted that driving slower is safer. Therefore obeying the speed limits or driving less than the speed limits would make you a better driver. Now I win!!

I never said it has anything to do with speed limits. You said you are breaking speed limits. First of all you are breaking the law, second if you drove at or less than the speed you would be driving slower than you are now which would be safer as you have already admitted that driving slower is safer. Therefore obeying the speed limits or driving less than the speed limits would make you a better driver. Now I win!!

I can't say there is not logic in it - there definitely is.

Asking someone who is often speeding, to stick to speed limits, will effectively make him drive slower, and therefore be safer.

But why don't go another step, and ask someone who obeys speed limits to drive 20km/h below speed limits.
    Same story - he will be driving slower and therefore safer, wouldn't he?

• Advertisement

I can't say there is not logic in it - there definitely is.

Asking someone who is often speeding, to stick to speed limits, will effectively make him drive slower, and therefore be safer.

I have proven my point, im done.

I have proven my point, im done.

You've proven that driving slower is safer than driving faster.
    That's fairly obvious.

But what you haven't proven is that speed limits give some kind of security, so drivers who obey they drive safely, and those who don't, drive dangerously.
    That's not the case.

Choosing reasonable speed to travel at, in given circumstances is way more important then obeying speed limit from safety point of view.

Are you going to tell me that 85 year old man, who can just about handle driving, in his 25 year old toyota with barely legal tyres of say 2mm thread in heavy rain, in heavy traffic, who is doing 95km/h on 100km/h limit is safer, then well trained young rally driver (who can recover from any skid that could possibly happen) in brand new vehicle with brand new tyres, on sunny day with no traffic around, doing 120km/h in the same place on 100km/h limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Mr-Marty wrote: »
    Howdy all,
    I am a bit of an eejit who racked up 8 penalty points in 2yrs, 4 through the speed vans on 2 separate occasions (both only 10km/h over speed limit) and 4 points and 3 month ban for driving with a hangover. (Only have my full license 1yr so was judged as if I was a prov driver and my alcohol limit was lower so I failed, had I my Full License 2yrs I would have passed).

Anyways thats just my story but now that my ban is over, I need to get insurance again and all I am getting is quotes of 1800-2000 and sometimes more. Do any of you have similar experience in dealing with insurance companies and who is the best to go with in this case.

Quote devil are great for situations like this . I had a 6 month driving ban and 3 penalty points and I'm currently paying 950€ fully comp on a 2litre tdi passat

Advertisement