Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mighty quest for epic loot. (PC)

• 07-03-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭

I searched for this and seen no mention of it so I'll stick it up.

I've been playing this the last week or so and it's great. It's a Diablo/Torchlight style game with a twist. The castles you are attacking are mainly player created and you have to build your own castle with your own defences.

You level your character and castle independently from 1 another. Once you finish your castle defences you have to play through it to validate it and make it accessible to other players. You set your best time that they have to beat.

There's a 3 star rating system for castle completion. If you die you get 0 stars. You get 1 for clearing all mobs, another for destroying the resource nodes and the last for beating the time.

You can watch replays of the players who attempted to beat your castle.

You can steal a % of their resources and you get ranked player rating based on the star rating you get. If they die in your castle you get rating and resources from them.

Anyway it's a lot of fun and worth checking out. It's free to play and in open beta at the moment.

https://www.themightyquest.com/en/welcome

This is an old video, the game has been updated a lot since but still gives a good idea of what the game is like/about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive had a look at this game a few times since its release and for some reason I cant bring myself to pick it up! Not sure but reckon its the art style thats putting me off (im picky like that!!), it kind of looks cartoony/childish in a bad way to me. Thats not to say the mechanics are like that, just the look of the game imo.

Did/does it have micro transactions in at this point?

I do love ARPG's though,Torchlight/Torchlight 2 being some of my favourite games of the last few years.

This game does seem to pop up though, two youtubers I would watch, jackfrags and frankieonpc, both have an episode or two of this every now and then which to be honest surprised me as the rest of the content they produce is usually quite different. Maybe its worth more of a look....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't mind the artstyle, not the prettiest but it is free and runs great.

Yes it does but from what I can see it's only for skins and xp or time based resource boosts. I'm progressing pretty quickly without having to spend anything.

No harm in trying it really. You might just like it :)

BloodBath wrote: »
    No harm in trying it really. You might just like it :)

You may regret saying that if I raid your castles and steal all your loots......:)

Didnt realise it was f2p, thought there was a small charge for the base game also?

I look forward to looting your dead body in my castle. :)

Nope it's f2p as far as I know.

Add me up if you want. Username is Mojo Jojo

Was just thinking that it would be a good idea for people to throw up there usernames so can raid castles of people here rather than some randomer.

Ill get it setup and throw up my user name and add ye/raid ye over the weekend:)

How long you reckon before ill get to a point where I can raid most people?

Theres some sort of levelling system iirc?

• Advertisement

It's pretty much a tutorial up to level 5. After that you can start raiding players castles.

Level progression is pretty quick, at least for the early levels. My castle is only level 12, my character is level 15.

The game is still in beta so there are some balance issues at certain levels. Some of the mobs and traps you can place in your castle are op for their level but they are working on it. If your character level goes ahead of your castle level you get an xp reduction on your character. It's good for gearing up without progressing in level too much.

I'll give you a tip. As soon as you unlock the cyclops put a group of them in your castle with the charge stun ability. There's a mini boss version of these that you should put in as well. Most people struggle with these early on.

The mini boss summoner is really strong as well. Forgot their names. Pick his mass summon ability and place a load of weak units near him so he can resurrect them when they die along with some cyclops to stun.

The snipers are strong as well.

You can set the aggro radius on the mobs as well so make sure to link them up properly so they all get pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I started playing this a bit, lvl 8 at the moment, lots of fun.

I love the whole idea of being able to watch other people's raids on your castle so you can plan your defences better.

BizzyC if anyone wants to add me.

It'll be interesting to see how they monotise this though.
    At the moment there's no pressure at all to put money into the game, and there's no advertisements.

They'll either need to charge for it, or restrict progression a bit more to encourage more micro transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

tis quite like one of those defense games for your phone (upgrading stuff takes hours, skip by throwing money at it). Like those games, its fun at the beginning, but then the squeeze starts to set in...

I haven't had anything take hours??
    Upgrades work straight away.

When you run out of resources, you need to raid castles...

I don't see any need for spending cash yet, can't imagine they're making a lot of money that way at the moment.

They'll probably have to do something like that though to encourage it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its sounds fecking awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I find it a bit simplistic and pointless. I've levelled up to 8 bit just don't see any reason to keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Looks cool, downloading now.

Ive only really played the tutorail to level 5 or so and set up my castle quickly, didnt get the time over the weekend I thought I would.

Not a massive fan of the tower defence part, but does that stop being such a big part once you've got your castle setup the way you want? Presume from there there would only be minor changes needed, like unlocking a new minion and putting him in

Was impressed by the combat though, it actually has a good feel to it. And some of the skills look pretty good in action, its no diablo 3 or torchlight but holds up well imo so far

EDIT:Cant remember my username but ill post it up when I get home tonight

I didn't run into any problems either with upgrading the castle, you just need to farm more resources. Attack player castles that aren't shielded and you can steal a lot of resources.

Maybe it's a problem at higher levels but so far at lvl 15 it ain't a problem.

It's a good game but I'm not sure I'd pay for it, luckily its F2P. I'm not sure if it has the longevity but it's decent for something you maybe log into for 30-60 mins every now and again.

I think if they added a proper multiplayer aspect with guilds/clans and bigger multiplayer castles it could step up to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

I was pretty sure it was timed, but might be mistaken (or its changed since earlier betas)

I think it was but they changed it.

The only pay features I see are castle themes, costumes, xp boosts, resource boosts and possibly 1 of the character classes.

Havent come across an issue yet with having to wait ages for anything either but still very early game for me

There is a lot of player customisation eg enchanted gear,skills,enchanted weapons which really surprised me,in a good way. Things you would expect to find in a normal arpg,good to have some depth there. Also crafting,as basic as it is,its still good that its in the game and could be expanded on.

I definitely prefer the raiding side of it,remains to be seen if the tower defence side will grow on me

Heres my username: El_Hefe if anyone wants to add me

I warn you though,my castle is extremely.......pants:p

Not sure about the whole castle validation thing.

I've built a castle now, but cant publish it, cause it's too hard for me to complete.

Awesome you'd think, but no. I cant' release it cause I set it up too well...

Haha, go gear up your character a bit and bring some pots. I haven't played in a few days.

I logged back in and had about 20 wins vs five 2 star losses.

Kinda lame how the classes are locked behind a pay wall bleh !
    Fun game though.

• Advertisement

BizzyC wrote: »
    Not sure about the whole castle validation thing.

I've built a castle now, but cant publish it, cause it's too hard for me to complete.

Awesome you'd think, but no. I cant' release it cause I set it up too well...

Is your castle higher level than your player? Maybe have to raid a bit and go in a few levels above your castle,im terrible at the castle bit.

The validation does need addressing/changing imo,it becomes annoying quickly imo. Last night thought I had maxed out my castle defence so validated the castle and only after realised I still had 3 points left to use, my fault admittedly but I only had enough for 3 level 1 snotters and derps, which add no defence really but had to validate again after adding them. In that sense maybe should only have to validate when you improve your defence score by say 10, any less and you wouldnt have to validate would be better.

One thing I find annoying is the aggro zones for the mobs, my strategy was to bunch a load of cyclops at choke points and have summoners, snotters and derps behind to charge in once the cyclops aggro (using charge ability for stun) but players can just aggro one mob and kite him away and kill him. Then they can rinse and repeat, have used the same strategy myself, kite one mob at a time. So changed the aggro zones for each mob to same area, had little to no effect. Players still able to kite one at a time even though all aggro zones were in exactly the same place

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is your castle higher level than your player? Maybe have to raid a bit and go in a few levels above your castle,im terrible at the castle bit.

The validation does need addressing/changing imo,it becomes annoying quickly imo. Last night thought I had maxed out my castle defence so validated the castle and only after realised I still had 3 points left to use, my fault admittedly but I only had enough for 3 level 1 snotters and derps, which add no defence really but had to validate again after adding them. In that sense maybe should only have to validate when you improve your defence score by say 10, any less and you wouldnt have to validate would be better.

One thing I find annoying is the aggro zones for the mobs, my strategy was to bunch a load of cyclops at choke points and have summoners, snotters and derps behind to charge in once the cyclops aggro (using charge ability for stun) but players can just aggro one mob and kite him away and kill him. Then they can rinse and repeat, have used the same strategy myself, kite one mob at a time. So changed the aggro zones for each mob to same area, had little to no effect. Players still able to kite one at a time even though all aggro zones were in exactly the same place

You have to read up on how agro works, they have changed the game a fair bit to try and balance the castles as they were too powerful.

As for kiting that is the only way you can effectively clear some rooms and is a common tactic for survival in this genre.

When you unlock more traps you can make it a lot harder to kite by placing hamster wheels and/or floor catapults at the exit point.

You can catch people out with these as well by firing somebody into more traps or into a group of mobs.

There's plenty of ways of getting somebody to pull large groups of mobs.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    Kinda lame how the classes are locked behind a pay wall bleh !
    Fun game though.

Only 1 of the 4 classes is. They have to make money somehow. You can earn enough of the money currency by doing in game quests to unlock more.

EoinHef wrote: »

Same level.

Once I've upped my character though, I'll be able to up my castle as well...

Does this mean you can never have a strong castle the same level as your character?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BizzyC wrote: »
    Does this mean you can never have a strong castle the same level as your character?
    You need to be able to beat your own castle to set the time for everyone else to beat; so you can have a strong castle but you need to be able to beat it for it to be approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I've been playing since yesterday and I'm liking it so far - the only thing is I think its difficult to have a decent castle early on which is a bit annoying.
    There is major room for improvement but it's still beta so hopefully we'll see a host of tweaks.

At this early stage it seems to me like the best tactic is to have a ton of mosters and the boss at the end of the level and then use traps to help prevent kiting?

You used to be able to set up hilarious trap and pull chains but they nerfed it with the diminishing returns added to stuns. You can't do this anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

BloodBath wrote: »
    You used to be able to set up hilarious trap and pull chains but they nerfed it with the diminishing returns added to stuns. You can't do this anymore.

That was actually very funny! :D

So this game, it looks fun and great idea, but no way I am dipping in to one more Free to play game. At this stage I am more willing just to pay full prices for games then Free to play stuff. You cant play more then one free to play game and be on top of it. The money you would spend directly on a game gets you feck all in free to play games...

So I think ill skip on this until later date.

It is oddly satisfying when some one dies in your dungeon, i was around lvl 9 before i was able to build it up enough to kill some one.

Anyways add me if your looking for friends, The_Daleatron

Ive only managed to kill one person so far, not surprising since im still only lvl 6 castle and it was fairly poorly laid out but made a few changes yesterday so hopefully ill get a few more:)

How long do you have to view the replay?
    Hadnt logged in in a day or two before yesterday and couldnt view the replays.

Turns out im a voyeur, really like that feature:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement