Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?

With household charges, water metering, flood defence and planning dominating the news over the past year, the forthcoming local elections are set to be a lively affair.

So if a candidate came knocking at your door tomorrow what would you ask them? What issues affect you and yours on a daily basis? What would you like to see changed or introduced? How satisfied are you with the current crowd and what would you like to see changed tomorrow? Do local politics even matter and how should a candidate justify themselves to the electorate?

This thread is intended to raise issues that are important to you, so hopefully local candidates can take notice. Also this thread is to have no canvassing by candidates or party representatives, and any such actions will not be allowed.

We at Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions that you the posters have posed in this threads. When that time comes we aim to use seperate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific.

Finally & importantly, we would like this thread to focus on the issues that matter to you & be able to provide the candidates with a clear list of local issues as seen by local posters. If you wish to debate the issues raised - we will create a separate thread.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'll be asking how I can get them away from my door as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

the amount of junk mail coming through the the letterbox can the suckers not read the sticker? no junk mail suckers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I had an issue in my park a few months ago and contacted people who will be looking for votes. 3 replied and eventually got the matter sorted. No reply from the rest.
    The 3 who looked after me will get votes 1,2 and 3. Im not sure who will get what yet tho.
    The rest will get the door closed in their faces. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

The volume of cash being wasted on cycle lanes, which inevitably take away filter lanes for cars causing traffic mayhem in the city centre. Why when all this work is being undertaken, why pot holes cannot be filled. Why every roundabout in the city is being dug up and replaced by lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

The volume of cash being wasted on cycle lanes, which inevitably take away filter lanes for cars causing traffic mayhem in the city centre. Why when all this work is being undertaken, why pot holes cannot be filled. Why every roundabout in the city is being dug up and replaced by lights.

What would you suggest the cyclists do then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

f**k ya, coz, like cars are the only traffic with a right to use a road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Yeah, cos cyclists actually use cycle lanes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

STEINBERG wrote: »
    What would you suggest the cyclists do then?
    f**k ya, coz, like cars are the only traffic with a right to use a road.

Vanity projects with the use of the few in favor of the majority are a complete waste of money.

They might as well be painted with gold leaf to make them glitter while reminding the majority of road users what a waste of money they are.

Won't take long before the surface starts to disintegrate like the road out tto Mahon Point.

Vanity projects with the use of the few in favor of the majority are a complete waste of money.

They might as well be painted with gold leaf to make them glitter while reminding the majority of road users what a waste of money they are.

Won't take long before the surface starts to disintegrate like the road out tto Mahon Point.

maybe if there was decent cycling infrastructure people might stop being traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Why did they make a meal out of Western Road I think it's called. The road from the courthouse down past UCC. They have butchered a well working road. Traffic there is crazy with the new system

• Advertisement

Housing waiting lists are ridiculously long. There are many vacant properties that could be used. New houses could be built, giving much needed employment to the construction sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

maybe if there was decent cycling infrastructure people might stop being traffic?

so we agree the current cycling infrastructure being put in IS a waste of money as it's not decent enough to be used?

because as it stands i still see cyclists on the road cycling alongside the empty cycle lanes the money is being wasted on.
    Housing waiting lists are ridiculously long. There are many vacant properties that could be used. New houses could be built, giving much needed employment to the construction sector.

its a pity they don't adopt a system similar to the scottish system, where they publish a list of ALL the available/empty properties, people pick the ones they want, and then they are allocated to those who chose them by the priority list, (aka bungalow with ramps would be given to a person with disabilities - as opposed to the current plan of stick them in an adapted 3 story house with ramps and stair lifts (unless of course they would choose that themselves) because the family with 3 children got the bungalow six months ago instead of the house) and if there are clashes, look at need, length on waiting list....etc to decide who gets it.

but of course thats too complicated a system :rolleyes:

hoodwinked wrote: »
    so we agree the current cycling infrastructure being put in IS a waste of money as it's not decent enough to be used?

because as it stands i still see cyclists on the road cycling alongside the empty cycle lanes the money is being wasted on.

usually, the cycling lanes are rubbish; full of glass and chips that puncture. Surface, like the roads usually crap, and add some street furniture, gullies, parked cars, undished kerbs, you'd sooner take your chances on the roads.
    (note most bike lanes are not compulsory!). A lick of paint does not a cycle lane make.

I'm reserving judgement on this one though, it looks different! separated from traffic, the raised kerbs will help stop glass/chips being blown in.
    maybe its another waste of cash, but if it encourages cycling, im all for it.

usually, the cycling lanes are rubbish; full of glass and chips that puncture. Surface, like the roads usually crap, and add some street furniture, gullies, parked cars, undished kerbs, you'd sooner take your chances on the roads.
    (note most bike lanes are not compulsory!). A lick of paint does not a cycle lane make.

I'm reserving judgement on this one though, it looks different! separated from traffic, the raised kerbs will help stop glass/chips being blown in.
    maybe its another waste of cash, but if it encourages cycling, im all for it.

that is one of many, they are still wasting money on putting in those roadside cycling lanes with that awful red stuff you'd also see at bus stops, why don't cyclists join motorists in complaining they are a waste of money and put a stop to them?

around the city is one thing, and having separate cycle lanes is probably a good thing (i say probably as if you saw top gear last week you'll see how bus passengers or people crossing the cycle path then become the problem)

but still around the suburbs roads are being narrowed to make way for cycle lanes, which then pushes motorists and cyclists closer together on the narrow road, because the cyclist won't use them and the motorist can't use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Depending on your ward (area) they can be good or useless,i.e cork north central,cork city north west,cork city north east

that is one of many, they are still wasting money on putting in those roadside cycling lanes with that awful red stuff you'd also see at bus stops, why don't cyclists join motorists in complaining they are a waste of money and put a stop to them?

around the city is one thing, and having separate cycle lanes is probably a good thing (i say probably as if you saw top gear last week you'll see how bus passengers or people crossing the cycle path then become the problem)

but still around the suburbs roads are being narrowed to make way for cycle lanes, which then pushes motorists and cyclists closer together on the narrow road, because the cyclist won't use them and the motorist can't use them.

didnt see the top gear, but can imagine the fun and frollicks that await.
    if people respect other road users, we wouldnt need cycle lanes. as a motorist and cyclist, I see appalling behaviour out there that needs a clamp down from the law, and better education for all. the attitude that cars have primacy needs to change.

the attitude that cars have primacy needs to change.

its not that cars have primacy though, i can only speak for myself, but my attitude personally is its down to speed,

they gave pedestrians footpaths because they were slower than cars so it was safer for them to be on a side path out of the way, the same should apply to bikes,

our motorway system is a perfect example, the way they banned slow moving vehicles because it wasn't safe to allow them share the road with cars doing 120km/h

if a bike could do 120km/h continuously then by all means share the roads equally, in fact around patrick street where the speed limit is around 30km/h i give the utmost respect to cyclists and pedestrians as our speed generally match and that makes us equal, only i am in a metal cage that could hurt them.

but for roads with speeds of 80-100km/h or more, then no, cyclists are not equal to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

It wouldnt be fair to have a go at councilors over the water/property issue because its a matter for your local TD.

But cycle lanes, potholes,housing by all means let rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't expect to see any... But if I do, then the topics for them are:

Parking in double yellows and cycle lane enforcement.
    Dog **** enforcement
    Maintenence of roads vs traffic light vanity projects.

its not that cars have primacy though, i can only speak for myself, but my attitude personally is its down to speed,

they gave pedestrians footpaths because they were slower than cars so it was safer for them to be on a side path out of the way, the same should apply to bikes

Ah dude, we were so close to agreeing! Do you get out of the way of a more powerful car coming up behind?
    i'd love if cars got out my way in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not even going to talk to any of them if they knock on the door, ill politely say ye do nothing for me I want nothing to do with ye.. If Laura calls I shall ask her why they spent so much money into that road

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If it's any of the liars or thieves from FF, FG and/or LAB they will get a good roasting from me, and hopefully take me off their list of people to call to when they want a vote.
    Not a day has gone by when another scandal has been uncovered, so much so that people are now immune to it all now.
    As far as I am concerned any social contract that was in place between me and political parties is now null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

This is not a discussion forum for cars -v- cycle lanes, please take it outside of this thread & lets get back to topic of what will you be asking the coundidates

thanks

i'll be voting for none of them,but the number 1 issue I have is with the lord mayor Cllr Catherine Clancy,who had the enck to say she would not be taking a paycut,the side of that salary is crazy,yet while she enjoys the high life the ordinary joe soap is left to struggle,i hope to got she and the other government party candidates are voted out,serious reform is needed but the local idiots that are the city council will not bring that,they enjoy the gravy train too much!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why is fibre broadband not in my area yet despite there being 4 cabinets within 250ms of my house.

Why is the parking issue in my estate not fixed yet.

gimmick wrote: »
    Why is fibre broadband not in my area yet despite there being 4 cabinets within 250ms of my house.

Why is the parking issue in my estate not fixed yet.

I have similar issues,plus when it comes to social housing they claim to have no money for them yet they can afford to lease their vehicles for €875,000 per year,pay the maintenance staff their wages yet little work is done,and the cllr's want our vote???if my local area FF cllr gets back in he is the next lord mayor for that party,all smiles for the camera and the bank balance that goes with it,try living in the real world!!!!!

RANT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I have similar issues,plus when it comes to social housing they claim to have no money for them yet they can afford to lease their vehicles for €875,000 per year,pay the maintenance staff their wages yet little work is done,and the cllr's want our vote???if my local area FF cllr gets back in he is the next lord mayor for that party,all smiles for the camera and the bank balance that goes with it,try living in the real world!!!!!

RANT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt call it a rant, I would call it the truth, however you should register and vote.

As for another poster above who says
    "It wouldnt be fair to have a go at councilors over the water/property issue because its a matter for your local TD."
    These scroungers are still members of FF/FG/LAB, why not have a go at them.
    If they had any ethics they would have resigned from those parties long ago, especially those Labour turncoats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Frankly, I'm undecided as to whether to vote or not, even though as a UK citizen I can vote. None of our local councillors are worth a ****. And it takes a lot for me to say that. I've always voted as I believe in having a say, and think that if you don't vote, you can't moan if it goes wrong.

I've not seen ANYTHING from our local councillors except for Cllr Kelleher (Lab) who I see on a fairly regular basis. But one man can't fight alone. The rest as far as I can see are only there for the beer.

If I DID see anybody on the hustings, I'd ask them why the Ballyhooley Road STILL hasn't been sorted out:

Removing the bend by Keating's,
    Removing the ditch on the LH side of the road, and putting in the footpath as promised...
    Resurfacing the road, especially the bit by O'Callaghan's.

Frankly, that road is a disgrace for the potholes, and I'm surprised nobody's broken an axle yet. These works were supposed to have started since November 2012!! To date we've seen hide nor hair of any workmen. But there's a very nice cycle rack at the entrance to The Glen though. And a lovely walkway going into the park which is now a disgusting health hazard due to selfish, ignorant, lazy dog owners letting their little darlings use it as a toilet! :mad:

I'd also ask them about educating people to pick up after their dogs. And enforcement if they don't.

There's a lack of litter bins, never mind dog bins in our area. Might be a reason for that, but even in Mayfield, there's plenty of litter bins!!

That's it for now. But I'm sure I can think of other stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

I think housing is a major issue especially for single people. The wait list for a council flat is something like 4 years or more. I have heard about a load of council flats that have been empty for months and have not be rented.
    Rents in the private sector are very high so most people on rent allowance can only afford to live in flats/bedsits that are bordering on uninhabitable.
    Surely its cheaper to have someone in a council property rather than having the government paying rent allowance?
    Plus the amount of landlords that take rent allowance seems to be reducing.

Another issue would be do do something to try to get business back into the city centre. Its starting to look like a ghost town there with all the business closed.

Lastly one of my biggest concerns is the amount of underage drinking and drug abuse (weed) at places like Fitzgerald Park and Bishop Lucey Park. I know lots of kids hang out there on the weekends to drink. I know this is a Garda issue but they really need to get somebody on this IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd also ask them about cleaning up Blackpool Village. The place is getting to be a real eyesore now, with loads of houses and shops literally rotting away with neglect. It's a shame as it used to be a real nice place back in the day (according to my husband). With a bit of money and goodwill, it could be every bit as nice as Douglas Village.

And do something about the regular flooding in Blackpool. It's getting to be a joke now with businesses and homes struggling to get insurance due to council neglect.

Advertisement