Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

I'd also ask them about cleaning up Blackpool Village. The place is getting to be a real eyesore now, with loads of houses and shops literally rotting away with neglect. It's a shame as it used to be a real nice place back in the day (according to my husband). With a bit of money and goodwill, it could be every bit as nice as Douglas Village.

And do something about the regular flooding in Blackpool. It's getting to be a joke now with businesses and homes struggling to get insurance due to council neglect.

Totally agree with you on that one. Blackpool could be lovely if it got some attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Xantia wrote: »
    I wouldnt call it a rant, I would call it the truth, however you should register and vote.

As for another poster above who says
    "It wouldnt be fair to have a go at councilors over the water/property issue because its a matter for your local TD."
    These scroungers are still members of FF/FG/LAB, why not have a go at them.
    If they had any ethics they would have resigned from those parties long ago, especially those Labour turncoats...
    I am registered,have voted for sinn fein mostly,but I certainly wont be voting FF/FG/LAB/GREENS.

@olliesgirl55 in relation to social housing I was on it 12 years with my wife and kids,first offer we got we took,but the housing maintenance is rubbish,but all i'll ever hear from city hall and the cllr's is "oh but the money isn't there" yet it is for the fat cats:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Depending on your ward (area) they can be good or useless,i.e cork north central,cork city north west,cork city north east

They are also superbly rubbish on the Southside!
    Am thinking of a "No canvassing" sign - really can't listen to their BS

No disputing that!i'll let them call but once i open the door they'll be sorry they called,they dont live in the real world,and all they'll tell you is the council is broke,not broke enough to pay them or pay the lord mayor roughly €200k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Being clever round my area calling during working hours so just have lots of "sorry I missed you" garbage waiting for me everyday.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Being clever round my area calling during working hours so just have lots of "sorry I missed you" garbage waiting for me everyday.
    got the same yesterday from sinn fein,i was in but feeding my kids is more important than listening to nonsense at my front door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

What I will raise

TD's & Ministers obscene salaries, perks, expenses & pensions, Lord Mayor's electoral pact and his obscene salary and expenses

While the rest of us suffer on

bogman wrote: »
    What I will raise

TD's & Ministers obscene salaries, perks, expenses & pensions, Lord Mayor's electoral pact and his obscene salary and expenses

While the rest of us suffer on
    lets start by voting Catherine Clancy out!!!she publicly said she was refusing to take a paycut,say what you want about john buttimer but he did take a paycut albeit only 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

depends on where in the southside, my local candidates have done some good work at council level (if i am reading the minutes right?) and in the community itself...

i will be raising the clamping issues, and too many sets of traffic lights issues here though....

hoodwinked wrote: »
    depends on where in the southside, my local candidates have done some good work at council level (if i am reading the minutes right?) and in the community itself...

i will be raising the clamping issues, and too many sets of traffic lights issues here though....

Cork South East

• Advertisement

Cork South East

Is that Des Cahill's/Chris O'Leary's area???

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Is that Des Cahill's/Chris O'Leary's area???

Yes...I think so. Only heard of them once on the radio in relation to the mess that was made of the Well road roundabout.
    I think this area could be known as pothole central!

Yes...I think so. Only heard of them once on the radio in relation to the mess that was made of the Well road roundabout.
    I think this area could be known as pothole central!
    that road is disaster.com!!!much better layout and better flowing when it had the roundabout!but sure Cork City Council know best:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I raised an issue with one candidate on Sunday afternoon. Why he felt it necessary to wake me up from my Sunday afternoon nap my ringing my doorbell, uninvited. He was dispatched quickly after I raised the issue with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

At least you get he oppertunity to say simething to them. Not a single caller to us yet. And I'm on maternity at hime every single day, so I'm there all the time and ready for them. Don't expect to see any though, as they never ever call in our area. None of the neighbours have seen a single canvasser in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

1. Whats happening with all the vacant property in prime locations? Grand parade is derelict and the bottom half patrick street is getti g that way. A million a year for the old mothercare shop outragous. Householders have to pay property charge while insurance co and banks sit on prime real estate and pay nothing. The city centre will be destoryed if something isnt done about it.
    2. How much of our road and household charges is leaving the city and being doled out to country areas.
    3. Whats happening with fitz park. Over a year of construction and no major umprovements. Was told theres 12 plus working in the museum its not even open to the public at the moment. Closed for an hour and a half for lunch when it is open.
    4. WHY did the council give the gaa land around puc. Why do the gaa have to have a training ground when the have p. Rinn up the road from it. If its gov money it should be publicly owned. Latest load of nosence is that they want the rugby world cup. Then build a rug y studium.
    5. Price of parling in town. Council have part ownership in most of these muilti stpry car parks. So why is the price going up when price of most things going down if not staying the same

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Hi All,

Just wondering if people know how you figure out what ward you're in for local elections?

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I pity the FG fool that knocks on our door - the JW's will get a warmer welcome.

Kazbah wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if people know how you figure out what ward you're in for local elections?

Ta
    i suppose it depends on where abouts you are? in the county boundaries have changed so i am not sure which is with which now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We had them round last night. Cllr Kavanagh came round. And left fairly quickly when I questioned him about the supposed works taking place...

I ain't done yet. I'll be popping off an e-mail to him later! :D

• Advertisement

We had them round last night. Cllr Kavanagh came round. And left fairly quickly when I questioned him about the supposed works taking place...

I ain't done yet. I'll be popping off an e-mail to him later! :D

we're in Maryborough and haven't had one candidate canvassing here yet, :( i really want to meet one of them to give out to or well now two, now that i've seen the posters around the place,

They don't make it straightforward anyway. Is there a full list of the candidates in each ward available somewhere. I'm in Douglas - not sure if that's south-west or south-central?

They don't make it straightforward anyway. Is there a full list of the candidates in each ward available somewhere. I'm in Douglas - not sure if that's south-west or south-central?

ok if you are in Douglas (parts of)/carrigaline/passage/ballincollig/rochestown/grange/frankfield/togher(parts of)

Running for 10 seats,
    the candidates i know of (i'll add more by editing as i find them or if anyone can correct me)

Liam O’Connor (Lab)
    Angela Murphy (Lab)
    Derry Canty (FG),
    John Collins (FG),
    Deirdre Forde (FG),
    Garret Kelleher (FG),
    Farah Deeba (FG),
    Shane O’Callaghan (FG)
    Séamus McGrath (FF)
    Mary Rose Desmond (FF)
    Daithí O Donnabháin (FF)
    Pádraic Vallely (FF)
    Terry Hume (TPC)
    Shirley Griffin(TPC)
    Marcia D'Alton (Ind)
    David Boyle (Ind)
    Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire (SF)

if you are in the city side of douglas, you are south central i think, and i have no clue of who's running there im afraid,

if it is cork south central

Emmett O’Halloran (FG),
    Billy McGill (FG)

Are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Who are the candidates in Macroom-Blarney? I can't find a list anywhere.

FrStone wrote: »
    Who are the candidates in Macroom-Blarney? I can't find a list anywhere.

i don't think there is any comprehensive list, i made the one above by googling "Ballincollig carrigaline electoral candidates" and it threw up numerous articles which is where i am grabbing the names,

bit annoying there is no list online considering it means we now could see some candidates for the first time on the ballot paper :eek:

Thank you hoodwinked. It seems bananas there's no list!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

Hi All,

Ta

i can tell you that ur in GF so now

Sorry, what's GF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Thank you hoodwinked. It seems bananas there's no list!

There are no actual candidates yet.

The Nomination period, in which they must officially present their nomination papers and formally lodge them the local Returning Officer, runs from this Saturday until Saturday May 3.

After that, there will be a list available of all candidates.

You are eligible to be elected to a local authority if you are ordinarily resident in Ireland and you are at least 18 years old. You do not have to be an Irish citizen.

Certain people are disqualified from becoming members of a local authority:
    • A member of the European Commission, Parliament or Courts
    • A Minister of the Government or a Minister of State
    • An Ceann Comhairle (the Chairman of the Dáil) and an Cathaoirleach (the Chairman of the Seanad)
    • Members of an Garda Siochana (Irish police force) or a full-time member of the Irish defence forces
    • Judges
    • The Comptroller and Auditor General
    • Civil servants. Where it does not specifically state in your contract of employment that you may be a member of a local authority
    • A person employed by a local authority and is not the holder of a class, description or grade of employment designated by order under section 161(1)(b) of the Local Government Act 2001
    • A person employed by the Health Service Executive and who is at a grade or of a description of employment designated by order of the Minister for Health
    • People currently imprisoned for a term longer than 6 months
    • People who have failed pay local authority charges
    • People who have failed to comply with an order of a court to pay money due to a local authority
    • People who have been convicted of fraud or dishonest dealings, corrupt practice or acting while disqualified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

No candidates have called to me yet to in Donnybrook. Did anyone see them around?

Advertisement