Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

No candidates have called to me yet to in Donnybrook. Did anyone see them around?

I think they're outnumbered 50:1 by their own mugshots on poles! Lots of photoshopping going on methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Does anyone know what councillors from the South-East ward were responsible for the Well Road shambles so that I can explicitly not vote for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Laura Mc Gonigle. .....or however it is spelt is one anyway for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

Kazbah wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if people know how you figure out what ward you're in for local elections?

Ta

City electoral areas corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/localelectoralareas2009/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think they're outnumbered 50:1 by their own mugshots on poles! Lots of photoshopping going on methinks
    The Photoshopping is mental. Laura mcgonigle is unrecognisable as herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

The photoshopping is hilarious. It's like a disappointing internet date when they land on your doorstep. Laura McGonigle was delighted with the new skejard junction:
    http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2012/06/skehard-road-realignment-scheme/

She also talks in the "passed" tense on that link PMSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I e-mailed all the existing councillors in the ward I live in. Only Cllr Kavanagh has responded so far. I've posted my questions and his replies below.

• What is happening about the proposed works to the Ballyhooley Rd which were supposed to take place November 2012? I know some work has been done since the unfortunate accident, but since then the road’s broken up again with potholes by the entrance to the Glen, all the way down to O’Callaghan’s. I have been assured by the Roads department that this project is being done during 2014. Funding has been secured for this.
    • What is happening about the rotting buildings and general air of decay within Blackpool Village? The place is getting to be a real eyesore now. Coupled with the frequent flooding in the area, there is very little incentive for businesses to come to the area as it looks so bad and there will be problems getting appropriate insurance. Is/will there be some sort of initiative for the council to improve the area? Minister Brian Hayes recently visited the Blackpol area and has assured Traders and residents alike that measures will be taken and funding made available in order to prevent a repeat of the flooding of recent months. I have also submitted a motion proposing the establishment of a Historical Quarter incorporating Shandon, Old Blackpool Village, Coburg St, McCurtin St, St Lukes, Dillons X, Collins Barracks in order to breath new life into these areas.
    • The same question is asked of the Patrick St and Grand Parade areas. So many empty shops. Whilst I appreciate there will never be 100% occupancy, it looks very bad for tourists visiting the city. Grand Parade now looks a bit forlorn. Is there an incentive for businesses to set up in the area perhaps on reduced rates until they’re established? As far as I know, there are no immediate plans for reduced rates. Cork City Council is doing significant work enhancing the City Centre. For example, Emmet Place, the Coal Quay and currently Parnell Place just to mention a few.The Cork City Development plan 2009-2015 allows for further enhancement of the City Centre as does the CCDP for 2015-2021.
    • What is happening to the old cinema on Grand Parade? Are there plans for that space?? I believe that there are a number of proposals for the developnment of this area but none confirmed to date.
    • Lack of litter/dog bins in the Ballyvolane area. Even Mayfield has litter bins and plenty of them! Will there be plans to install any? I have proposed that Dog Fouling bins be installed in a number of areas in the City as a Pilot project with a view to widespread installation right across the City in the immediate future.

Now - whether any/all of this happens, I guess we'll just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I'll be raising about the lack of public amenities for teenagers and the derelict sites in the area. Cafes should get favourable treatment and perhaps favourable rates, if they are providing a service to young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The Mayor's wage. Too much in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

yenom wrote: »
    The Mayor's wage. Too much in this day and age.

Out of interest, how much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who's the 12 year old running for SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I don't know but he should't have worn his school uniform for the posters.

s-cun.jpg?w=99&h=150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

evilivor wrote: »
    I don't know but he should't have worn his school uniform for the posters.

s-cun.jpg?w=99&h=150

i actually know him through friends in Ucc, he was studying government (i think) in UCC and while he is young (and the photo's make him look younger) he is definitely older than 12! :P

The child running for SF is Stephen Cunningham...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

FrStone wrote: »
    Out of interest, how much is it?
    €100,000 plus €80,000 expenses. He/she will also get a free car for the year. It's never opposed because it's rotated every year to FF-FG-L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Good spread over four pages in The Cork News today on all the runners and riders for the Local Elections.

You can readc it online too: http://thecorknews.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I wish i could raise issues with a certain female candidate who was seen canvassing the big expensive houses down the front of our park today but didn't bother canvassing the apartment/duplexs/townhouses up the back of the park! :mad:

still no candidates have touched our area with just under two weeks to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

yenom wrote: »
    €100,000 plus €80,000 expenses. He/she will also get a free car for the year. It's never opposed because it's rotated every year to FF-FG-L.

She was on Niall this morning (after Mick Barry pulled her up on using the Mayor's car for canvassing). Sounded like a complete uneducated ghoul.

Made one comment along the lines of "sure how else could I get there".

These people aren't in the real world at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

314473_719512200050_406521047_n.jpg

• Advertisement

LMAO!! Very true...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Why are some of you elected anyway even if ye don't reach the quota, just cause yeees are the last man standing.

No quota no seat, if yer don't make quota, it's a message from the people that they DON'T want ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Id like to see the Lord Mayor pact that has been in place in Cork since 1979 wiped out after this local election.

Basically, after each local election Labour/Fianna Fail and Fine Gael get together and divide up the 5 year lifespan of the council with FF and FG getting the Lord Mayor chain twice each and Labour getting it once.

I think it is highly undemocratic so I will be voting for someone who isnt in any of the three parties above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I was at home earlier today when my dog started barking like crazy. I saw someone at the door and went out to open it to find a labour canvasser on the doorstep in the process of putting a flyer in my letterbox (poor sod didn't bank on meeting me). I very courteously to him that whilst I'd been raised in a labour family that labour wouldn't be getting any vote from me because of the way they have sold out the working class of this country. He seems a bit surprised when I said that I was glad my father was dead and not alive to see what the party he had supported all his life had become. It says a lot when they don't even have the guts knock on your door. Cowards, the lot of them.

There is an MEP who says they're running for The Catholic Democracy party. Flashback to 1968 or wha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Kazbah wrote: »
    There is an MEP who says they're running for The Catholic Democracy party. Flashback to 1968 or wha'?

Sounds like the kind of party my mother would vote for.

Btw the Euro debate on primetime (19/5/14) was a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just saw off the FOURTH local election candidate from my door. This is the most i've ever seen in my life. 3 FF and an independant so far. I've bumped into 2 others out and about in town and at markets/events. Plus two eu candidates. Never seen so much of them on the ground. Big legwork going on.

Did the same for the lot of them anyway... please divert funds from capital projects ( bike lanes and digging up roundabouts) to day-to-day maintenance (potholes, footpaths, dog**** enforcement, tree cutting, rubbish picking) as much as possible. Invited each in for cuppa and a biccie as well, which they were all astonished by. They each told stories of doors slammed in faces and stones chucked at them. Bit much if people are doing that I think. Always better to engage at least vaguely rationally instead of harrasment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

pwurple wrote: »
    They each told stories of doors slammed in faces and stones chucked at them. Bit much if people are doing that I think. Always better to engage at least vaguely rationally instead of harrasment.

I totally agree. Much as we all have issues there is no need for the way some of the canvassers have been treated. You can get your message across without being rude or aggressive.

I must be the only other person who bothered to give the candidates the time of day!

Had a very nice chat with Stephen Cunningham (SF). Must've been on my step for 20 minutes. Very articulate and bright boy. Came across very well.

Sue-Ellen Carroll (FG) was another one who was pleasant. Gave me her mobile no. in case there was anything else to say.

John Kelleher (Lab) was another one who came across very well. I often see him about.

Cllr Kavanagh (FG) literally ran when I started to question him! But he did respond to an e-mail I sent putting the questions I wanted to ask him about. Standard BS answers, but at least he replied. Of all the sitting councillors I e-mailed, only he and Cllr Kelleher bothered to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Stephen Cunningham topping the poll in the North East Ward apparently - delighted for him - great to see someone so young get in and hopefully he will make a difference.

Advertisement