Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 1:06pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With local elections in May, what questions will you ask canvassers when they come calling?

Caveat: this thread is for questions only. At a later stage Boards.ie will try to arrange responses from local politicians.

We would like to start conversations within the community as to what local issues are affecting users across our Regional Forums. With everything from flooding to water charges and household tax, local issues are firmly in the spotlight, we would like to get site users chatting these issues.

We are going to try to engage with the regional candidates and hopefully run a number of Question & Answer sessions with them over the course of the campaign. It should provide some interesting conversation for the site.

Obviously we want to clamp down on candidates electioneering on the site. We are going to treat candidates in the same way as we would businesses; they can only post about themselves or their policies if they have a verified rep account. You will get your opportunity in due course.

I'm putting the thread rules in bold below.

1. Questions only.
    2. No canvassing.
    3. No slagging off politicians or their parties.
    4. Mods may decide to create, change or abolish the rules at any time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I had a canvasser around from one of the main parties, not the candidate himself.

I asked about the water charges and now the fact that we're paying for water will they be treating it for hardness. The guy didn't have a clue but did manage to make a smart comment about another party. Needless to say there won't be a vote going that way.

I'm sick of having to treat the kettle, washing machine, shower heads, etc on a very regular basis but accepted it as the water was free.

My question to all candidates will be now that we are paying for water will it be treated for hardness?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In all fairness, it's not an issue for local government at the moment. It's a national issue, being introduced by the national government as part of the EU/IMF programme set-out under the previous administration and rightly not re-negotiated (in my personal opinion). Water Charges have been muted for years and I am in all favour for them if the money is invested into the existing network to address the many issues with both the quality of water and the overall network.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

Question ,

John Carey ( FG) is it true that if you get elected that your are planning on retiring and co-opting your daughter Sharon on to your seat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Are you willing to ensure that there will be a full service provided in Irish by the council to the Gaeltacht and Irish speaking community in Waterford?

Advertisement