Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relatively healthy Chicken Wings Recipe

Options
  • 07-03-2014 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know a good recipe that doesn't involve deep frying and/or gallons of butter?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could give them a dry rub of spices (cumin, chilli, cayenne, whatever you fancy) &/or a few splashes of your favourite hot sauce & bang them in the oven for 20mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

When I do chicken wings, I do them in the oven and just rub them with dry herbs and spices.

I usually wash the wings and take off the wing tips, then pat dry on kitchen paper.

I then mix up some dried herbs and spices and rub them all over the wings and pop them into the oven at 180°C for 20-25 minutes (or until they are cooked).

Sometimes I will mix the herbs/spices with olive oil and rub that on the wings too, but mostly I don't use the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Thanks guys!

Do they not end up a little dry just using a dry rub and baking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

Did you try the franks buffalo sauce? You don't need to add butter with that one?

I've started making " franks cauliflower bites" instead of chicken wings. Trying to stop the expanding waistline ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

ArtyC wrote: »
    Did you try the franks buffalo sauce? You don't need to add butter with that one?

I've started making " franks cauliflower bites" instead of chicken wings. Trying to stop the expanding waistline ;)

Good idea. Do you bake the cauliflower ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's cause it is already full of fake butter.

That's cause it is already full of fake butter.

Calorie wise it's low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Calorie wise it's low

That's why I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

When I do chicken wings, I do them in the oven and just rub them with dry herbs and spices.

I usually wash the wings and take off the wing tips, then pat dry on kitchen paper.

I then mix up some dried herbs and spices and rub them all over the wings and pop them into the oven at 180°C for 20-25 minutes (or until they are cooked).

Sometimes I will mix the herbs/spices with olive oil and rub that on the wings too, but mostly I don't use the oil.

Can I just ask...why do you wash the wings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

if your looking for a healthy spicy chicken wings or similar healthy dish, check out Michael kory fitness on YouTube has a simple but good recipe on there, coating the chicken in oat flour and your own choice of spices drizzle in olive oil cook for about twenty minutes turn and repeat then when done coat in your choice of hot or wing sauce. makes a tasty dish.

Also real butter is better than any kind of fake butter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As above, do then in the oven. Cover with a small amount of flour, baking powder and olive oil to make them slightly crispy. Then either go the hot sauce or herbs route.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

How healthy are you looking? Are you willing to go a little bit unhealthy?

Here is a lemon/pepper one I've found recently that is a little different.

Put the wings into a stock pot, cover in apple cider vinegar and some salt and pepper.

Bring to the boil, reduce heat & simmer for 10 mins.

Remove from pan, place on tin foil and coat in hot sauce & lemon pepper. Turn and repeat on other side.

I do them on an indirect heat source, about 100 degrees celcius for 2-3 hours.

Halfway through I turn them, put on a little more lemon pepper and a spritzing of apple juice.

However, they can be done in the oven around 140-160, turning them and spraying with apple juice but you have to keep an eye on them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

The wings have plenty of fat inside them already to stop the being dry.
    But this also means that even without adding butter or deep frying that they are still pretty high in fat.

If you are only having them occasionally, I don't think skipping/adding butter will make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Calorie wise it's low

And I'd say the fake butter will do you more harm than a few extra calories in the long run.

I have baked thighs in franks before and they were delicious, if a little hot.

Advertisement