Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog "attacked" - what to do?

• 07-03-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

The circumstances around this are a bit weird, so bear with me...

I was just out walking my dog - we were walking on the path outside a fenced off carpark, on the other side of the metal fence there were two women with a small bichon and a collie, both off lead. The collie saw my dog (a greyhound) and went crazy, running straight into the fence. To my surprise, the fence gave way quite a bit but without breaking fully, and my dog yelped back at the collie.

I'm just after getting in now and I see my dog has a couple of nasty open gashes on his right hind leg. I'm not sure if the collie got a paw or even a bite in under the fence, or if the fence itself scraped him. It's weird though as the fence was on our left side, and I was closer to it with my dog just slightly behind me so I don't know how he got the gashes where they are. In retrospect though I know that this altercation is what caused the injury - the walk was otherwise completely uneventful, and tbh I should have recognised the yelp as being one of pain rather than a 'warning' for the collie to back off.

Not really sure what to do now, apart from going to the vet to probably get his leg bandaged up.

Is it worth going back to see if I can find the women and let them know what happened? My own thoughts are that the collie was acting aggressively rather than playfully, and I was genuinely startled by the force the dog hit the fence. No idea what would have happened if the fence hadn't been there at all.

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Well, as far as she would be concerned that could have happened anytime from when you walked home until you got back to her.
    I'd bring him to the vet and make sure he's ok (depending on the cut of course).
    If you see her regulary on the walk and her dog charges again, i wouldn't hesitate in asking her to keep her dog under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Well, as far as she would be concerned that could have happened anytime from when you walked home until you got back to her.
    I'd bring him to the vet and make sure he's ok (depending on the cut of course).
    If you see her regulary on the walk and her dog charges again, i wouldn't hesitate in asking her to keep her dog under control.
    Yeah I guess there's not a whole lot that can be done regarding the other dog owner, I was just a bit shocked/frustrated by the whole thing. I won't walk around by that area again with my dog, that's for sure.

Anyway I'm back from the vet now, he got three stitches and he's now bandaged up, with a handsome vet bill to boot. Main thing is Tigger seems to be in good form though :)

Advertisement