Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony bravia not detecting analogue signal

• 07-03-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi. Hoping someone can help me. I bought a new sony bravia tv so decided to put my old sony bravia in the kitchen. We have upc in the house so I was going to plug the aerial into the tv and run auto tune to store the analogue channels. However when I run auto tune it says no programmes found and please connect aerial but the aerial is connected. Have been on to upc and they told me analogue signal is not blocked. Also as auto tune is running some of the channels pop up on screen but the tv doesn't recognise or store them. Any help/ideas. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Hi. Hoping someone can help me. I bought a new sony bravia tv so decided to put my old sony bravia in the kitchen. We have upc in the house so I was going to plug the aerial into the tv and run auto tune to store the analogue channels. However when I run auto tune it says no programmes found and please connect aerial but the aerial is connected. Have been on to upc and they told me analogue signal is not blocked. Also as auto tune is running some of the channels pop up on screen but the tv doesn't recognise or store them. Any help/ideas. Thanks.

Analog service was switched off in late 2012. You will need a set top box to receive digital channels to your analog TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Is your old tv Saorview compatable ? any chance you could post the model number of the tv ?
    Have been on to upc and they told me analogue signal is not blocked.
    I don't understand this.

"Also as auto tune is running some of the channels pop up on screen but the tv doesn't recognise or store them"
    i don't understand this either, what stations are you seeing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

We have upc in the house so I was going to plug the aerial into the tv.

I'm confused, have you connected to an aerial or to your UPC cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Make sure you are set to analog and not digital, there's a button on the remote to do this... Digital/Analog...
    image002.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If the OP has a live UPC feed they can still get the basic 17(?) "analog" channels (UPC rebroadcast them on their basic package). I have a splitter in the attic and I get the basic channels on my TVs (though they look a bit grainy on a HD tv).
    Is the cable in the kitchen connected properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭greasepalm

it does sound like it is an old analogue tv that cannot work from that signal,if you have upc that was from a set top box?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

. . . as auto tune is running some of the channels pop up on screen but the tv doesn't recognise or store them.

Maybe the signal isn't good enough for the TV to bother storing the channels on autotune?

You could try manually tuning, if you know the frequencies. The Dublin ones are here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88414136&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

donegal. wrote: »
    Is your old tv Saorview compatable ? any chance you could post the model number of the tv ?

I don't understand this.

"Also as auto tune is running some of the channels pop up on screen but the tv doesn't recognise or store them"
    i don't understand this either, what stations are you seeing ?

Hi, what I mean by the above is that as the auto tune is processing through the frequencies and it gets to the frequency of a particular channel that channel displays on the tv for a second and then the tv continues to cycle through the rest of the tuning.

Also the cable is definitely connected properly to the aerial socket on the wall and to the tv connection.

I have also selected analog on the remote control.

The funny thing is that there is an old 22" tv in the kitchen connected to that same aerial socket and we get a reception from that so the socket and cable must be ok.

Thanks for all the help so far .

is there an option to scan on digital tuner and try that?

greasepalm wrote: »
    is there an option to scan on digital tuner and try that?

Yes have tried scanning on analog and digital. When i scan on digital it comes up "no services found".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

The funny thing is that there is an old 22" tv in the kitchen connected to that same aerial socket and we get a reception from that so the socket and cable must be ok.

Is there good picture quality on the 22" tv?

Do you have the 22" tv unplugged from the aerial socket when you are trying to tune the Sony, or do you use a splitter?

22" is unplugged. Sony tv is connected directly to aerial socket without a splitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hi, what I mean by the above is that as the auto tune is processing through the frequencies and it gets to the frequency of a particular channel that channel displays on the tv for a second and then the tv continues to cycle through the rest of the tuning.

Also the cable is definitely connected properly to the aerial socket on the wall and to the tv connection.

I have also selected analog on the remote control.

Thanks for all the help so far .

When you say aerial do you mean it's connected to the thing on the roof or coming from the UPC connection? Is there an option in autotune to select cable or aerial? If you're trying to pick up UPC you need to select cable and make sure that routes back to the UPC splitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

AFAIA, selecting the "Cable" option in auto-tune will carry out a DVB-C digital cable scan. I'm pretty sure OP should select "Antenna" for UPC analogue.

Anyway, they already say that channels "pop up" during whatever scan they are using.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe try tuning in the channels manually? Some tuners can be a bit fussy when in automatic search.

There is a thread here that lists the freqs for UPC Dublin, correct as of 2012, dunno if it's different now.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056825676

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

However when I run auto tune it says no programmes found and please connect aerial but the aerial is connected. Have been on to upc and they told me analogue signal is not blocked.
    This is the old bravia you are having problems with? Why did you have to run auto tune? did it not already have the stations stored? Maybe if you re-connect it to the aerial in the main room again and retune, it was working there before you got your new bravia?

Hi,
    Will try to tune manually tomorrow.
    Before I bought the new tv, the old tv I am having problems with now was connected to a upc horizon box so was never tuned for analogue. I have also already tried to auto tune it in the living room using upc cable there and it didnt work. Just got the same message to ensure the aerial cable was properly connected. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Dont really know what else to try.

theres no upc in my area and i know nothing about them.

Do their boxes convert the digitlal signal to an analog one and then output this through a coaxle cable to a 2nd tv, so it can get (some?) stations ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

theres no upc in my area and i know nothing about them.

Do their boxes convert the digitlal signal to an analog one and then output this through a coaxle cable to a 2nd tv, so it can get (some?) stations ?
    No, basically, the incoming cable feed has both digital channels for the set-top box and a dozen or so analogue channels (the analogue channels can work on other TVs)

byte wrote: »
    No, basically, the incoming cable feed has both digital channels for the set-top box and a dozen or so analogue channels (the analogue channels can work on other TVs)

i thought there was no more analogue transmissions since the DSO ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

i thought there was no more analogue transmissions since the DSO ?

Doesn't apply to cable.

thought it would apply to cable as everything is now fibre optic and digital boxes that could do both analogue and digital channels now.

There must still be people subscribing for analogue channels only. Once enough of these folks cop themselves on & go digital, that will be the end of this bandwidth-wasting legacy service.

Try telling my 90 year old grandmother how to use a digital STB, she'd tell you where to go! There's some people who wouldn't change unless you made them change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wayne Cochran

Sorry, went to edit that post & ended up deleting it.

Didn't mean to seem so harsh on the old folks : )

Advertisement