Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club, week 9 : Chicken and Broccoli Bake

Options
  • 07-03-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

This is one of my favourite dinners, I normally have it with potatoes but you could have it with boiled rice too.

Serves 4

1tsp veg oil
    4 chicken Fillets
    1 onion
    1lb/450g broccoli
    1 tin of chicken or mushroom soup (I normally put in the milk into the can to get out the bits at the end)
    1 dessertspoon of curry powder (I use a medium curry)
    1/4 pint / 150mls of milk
    pinch of salt if desired
    pepper
    2oz/50g brown breadcrumbs (2 slices)
    2oz/50g grated cheese

Preheat the oven to 220c

Fry onion for a few minutes

Add Chicken and fry for about 10 minutes ( I fry off my chicken and onion in a pan that is suitable for the oven, saves on washup)

The initial recipe says to boil the broccoli in another pan for a few minutes, I found that the broccoli was too soft in the end dinner, so I normally just put it in on top of the chicken before putting the sauce over it, I prefer a bite to the broccoli.

Mix the milk, soup, curry powder, salt and pepper in a jug and pour over the chicken, broccoli mix, in the pan if oven suitable or into a cassrole dish.

Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together, (stops the cheese burning on top) and sprinkle over before putting in the oven to bake for about 30 mins.

Enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I do the same dish, but I put boiled pasta with it before I fire it into the oven. Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

I've the exact same recipe been using it for a few months but boil the chicken instead of frying, it stays so moist.
    This dish is just so
    Good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Had this yesterday and the left overs tonight, Loved it, it might have been nicest tonight.

We went the Heinz chicken soup direction

The 2 1/2 yr old hated it....to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Made this today. Used porridge oats instead of breadcrumbs. T'was delicious and simple to make. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, I think there's a similar moroccan recipe that uses butter beans?

I completly forget what it's called, but if you like this you should give that a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Thanks for trying this, I had never thought of adding pasta to the dish so will have to try that.

If you can find the recipe for the moroccon dish I would love to give it a try.

I'm always looking for tasty /easy dishes to make.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Made this last night and had it tonight for dinner with rice. May have used far too much curry powder but it was sooooo good. Thanks op!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Just putting this in the oven now

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Tried this today and it was delicious. Looking forward to leftovers tomorrow! Thanks OP!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This was great - thanks, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had this for dinner tonight. Was really tasty and quick to make.

I used a can of Tesco brand cream of mushroom soup with a little extra seasoning and Quorn chicken.

I was very happy with how it turned out and we will definitely be making it again as a midweek meal. :)

CC-2014-09-Chicken-and-Broccoli-Bake.jpg

The middle dish had some lovely thrice-cooked potatoes and there were a lot more of them, but they came under attack from velociraptors, mososaurs and rogues of the night. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love your pictures and feedback on recipes, Roald Dahl! It's lovely to see the recipes being made and such lovely feedback being given :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too RD - and I love your presentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Thank you, Faith and Dizzyblonde.

I've made quite a few Cooking Club recipes down through the years, but not as a poster. It's time to give some feedback on the ones I have made. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

My mum used to make us something very similar when we were at school, but isntead of adding broccoli she layered Cheese and Onion Crisps on top (like the old Perri Pub Crisps or the original Crinkled Ripples/Hunky Dorys).

I mean, it sounds mad but it was amazing at the time...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Someone I know still does that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Loads of broccoli in the tunnel this week so this is back on the menu. With chicken soup instead of mushroom this time. Always delicious.

Advertisement