Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Gratin/Bake

Options
  • 07-03-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I want to make potato gratin/bake to go with my pork chops. I have no cream so was going to use milk and philadelphia cheese, garlic, cheese...I was just wondering would this turn out okay? I have never made it before so any help would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Make sure your milk/philly mix is at a good and hot temperature before pouring over your thinly sliced potatoes. Don't worry, it won't split, I worked as a concept recipe chef for Kraft and you'd be amazing what extremes that mix can withstand

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Some nutmeg works really well in gratin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you really want to crank it up a notch, try interleaving the potato with sliced celariac or jerusalem artichoke. Also before you add the philly to the milk, put the cold milk in a saucepan over a very very low heat and place in a couple of bay leaves, some peppercorns, and a stalk of thyme (don't use just the leaves). Bring it up to near boiling but still using the very low heat (yes it'll take a while but keep an eye on it otherwise it'll boil over and be ruined). Then fish out the bay etc and add your philly and you'll have an amazing mix that's infused with those great flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭elaine.rodger

Made the potatoe gratin last night and it turned out lovely. Thank you for you help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

maybe try my recipe?

<link snipped>

:)

The OP was looking for advice on making a gratin without cream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rebelgourmet, welcome to boards.ie. It is against the rules to spam links to your blog. I have deleted the link, and ask you to refrain from posting it again. If you'd like to pay to advertise, please contact sales@boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Faith wrote: »
    rebelgourmet, welcome to boards.ie. It is against the rules to spam links to your blog. I have deleted the link, and ask you to refrain from posting it again. If you'd like to pay to advertise, please contact sales@boards.ie.

had read it but didn't realise it applied to personal/non-commercial blog pages - my humble apologies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

had read it but didn't realise it applied to personal/non-commercial blog pages - my humble apologies.

No worries, I hope you enjoy the forums :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

cheese, milk, salt and pepper is all I have ever really used in gratin potato

Advertisement