Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 2:38pm
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the Louth issues important to you and that you would like to see the candidates address? Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face Louth and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Do you know the Wards/Areas/number of seats Cournioni?

With the abolition of local TC's & Borough Councils and the reduction in numbers to be elected to the new executive it should be an exciting playoff in terms of how former TC's.County lads & newcomers position themselves in order to maximise their vote.Strategy needed for sure and while the political parties will have it all worked out(you would think) the independents will need to work very hard to get elected.The local issues that got you elected before now have to become local & County issues it seems.

If i'm not right about what i'm saying then will somebody fill me in please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Last time round, I don't think many bothered to actually go door to door.

FF have already been around Grange Rath, and Michael Martin was in toe. I think it was a bit of a shock-and-awe tactic, since my mother was so stunned at who was at the door, and they were gone so quickly, that we didn't really get much time to talk about anything.

Honestly, I'm at a point whereby if I vote, it's going to be based on larger national issues; as a 25 year old unemployed teacher who has seen half his friends have to emigrate, there's three parties I simply cannot vote for in good conscience, even at a local level. The issues I'd want to raise with the parties won't be anything that local candidates will even want to discuss, let alone fix. The one party I can vote for is one I spent most of the last election bashing....and yet, when I wrote my one and only letter to the TD (and party leader), theirs was the only party who bothered responding back in a personal way (another party, the crowd in power right now, basically sent me a letter back saying shut up and **** off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i won't be asking them anything complete waste of time,they will have the same old same old speal for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Had a call from a rep of the local Sinn Fein candidate. Politely refused the offer of the leaflet and was met with her shouting "THEY WILL CHANGE OUR COUNTRY YOU KNOW!" The mind boggles. Drum up business by shouting down your customers. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The hypersensitivity bemuses, and is a big turn off the party among eh other issues. Although their unbowing belief that such statements are true is in some way admirable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Honestly, I'm at a point whereby if I vote, it's going to be based on larger national issues....
    I can sympathise with how you feel, but I think it's a bad strategy. The quality of our local democracy is poor enough, and I can't see it being improved if people do not try to elect people who might function well as local government representatives.

[Similarly, it's not a good move to elect people to the national parliament solely or mainly because of their stance on local government issues.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to agree. These are Local Elections and I will vote for people who will be best for the job of local government. National issues will not be a factor for me. I believe in local representatives for local issues and national politicians for the Dail. Parish plump politics for the parish and not for the national government.
    Parties never play a part for me in local elections apart from one party that I would not vote for if my life depended on it.
    I will be raising traffic and road conditions with those canvassing. Living a very rural area, we don't get much from the council as we have our own water and sewage systems, no public lighting or parks and the like to take issue with.

In fairness, I do understand that thought process.

It's just that I don't trust any of them to actually carry out any promises they make. They can promise to fix potholes or bring jobs or whatever but as soon as the election is over, I will never hear from them again. :(

It's just that I don't trust any of them to actually carry out any promises they make. They can promise to fix potholes or bring jobs or whatever but as soon as the election is over, I will never hear from them again. :(

You're obviously electing the wrong people. :)
    Two of our local reps keep in conract regularly. They often ask what issues we have and let us know about developments we may have an interest in. Elect the right people and local government can function.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Two of our local reps keep in conract regularly. They often ask what issues we have and let us know about developments we may have an interest in. Elect the right people and local government can function.

What parties are they from?
    I've never had anyone return to discuss my issues.

• Advertisement

What parties are they from?
    I've never had anyone return to discuss my issues.

To be honest I'm not saying, as the thread OP asked not to get in to parties. They are actually from 2 different parties but it's immaterial as we seem to vote the man not the party around here. Rural area and these guys seem to send all their time on council duties and checking on the community. They are also very involved in other community issues like water schemes, tidy towns, community alert etc. More power to them as I don't know where they get their energy.

You should'nt have to - but I would phone/email etc the elected to ensure that they follow through with promises. Make sure they have earned your vote.

I have no qualms whatsoever in picking up the phone to call my local rep if i think it is needed. An example would have been quite bad flooding on my rural road which was easily solved by having the drains cleared of dead leaves. After calling in to LCC to see about having somthing done and getting nowhere I contacted my elected rep - a week later the problem was solved. Local politician representing the local person.

My own issues of concern that i will(if im home in time for the election) be raising are rates levels for local business and the levels of compliance. Accessability to council services especially with the pending merger of Louth Local Authorities under Louth County Council. County Hall is in Dundalk luckily for us - but will people have to travel from the rest of County to avail of services with the potential for social exclusion?
    What will be done to encourage regeneration of eg Clanbrassil St?
    Damn cycle lanes and who is answerable for unnecessary 'remedial' works costs and whether the person responsible has been brought to task.
    Theres more, i'm a nightmare for people calling to my door, and its great when it is lashing rain and they greatly accept standing inside to talk but there is no quick exit then if they're fumbling for answers:p

God knows I try, I do. :/
    Being honest, as a young, unemployed guy though, I just have zero faith left in any politician right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Con41

A sitting local rep knocked on my door last week and asked me to vote for him. I asked him what has he done in the last 5 years for me to vote for him? You'd think I asked him something personal - he stuttered and said he put new traffic lights in on the northside of Drogheda. He really wasn't prepared for that question - if this is the quality of candidates we're in trouble!!!!

Con41 wrote: »
    - if this is the quality of candidates we're in trouble!!!!

Interesting! The merger of the authorities will do at least one thing and thats address any percieved bias between the north and south of the county, which, as i have said before, would have to do with the abilities of the locally elected.

The issue with some oppertunistic local politicians in Dundalk is them claiming responsibility for work they have had nothing to do with. I can assure you the last thing they'd be stuck for an answer to is what the have 'done' for the town!

Yeah, I know a few people are trying to take credit for a new set of lights which have been built on the Dublin Road recently...

Has Ollie Morgan shot himself in the foot?

He kicked off with this.
    Dundalk Town Councillor Oliver Morgan believes a number of “evil elements” are plotting against him in his bid to land a seat on Louth County Council in the forthcoming elections.

As revealed on Talk of the Town yesterday, the Meadow Grove man has lodged a complaint with gardaí in Dundalk after his Facebook page was hacked last week in the lead-up to his campaign launch last Friday night in the Imperial Hotel.

Explicit material was believed to have been posted on his page, all of which has since been removed.

In a statement on the matter, Cllr Morgan said he believes the same people who made unfounded allegations against him shortly after his last election campaign in 2010 are behind the current attack and said he was “gutted” that anyone would do such a thing.

He said: “I am utterly gutted to see that the evil elements who tried to destroy my public representational career in 2010 have not gone away.
    “I have reported this latest despicable episode to An Garda Siochana who have told me that they will spare no effort in the attempt to bring the perpetrators to justice.
    “I wish, once again, to thank all those who gave me such helpful support during the last campaign against me and I am counting on them to rally around me during this latest episode of filthy vilification.”

Cllr Morgan was first elected to Dundalk Town Council in 2009 as a Fianna Fáil representative but will be aiming for a seat on Louth County Council in May as an independent representative....

But later retracted the statement to.
    Dundalk Town Councillor Oliver Morgan has retracted a statement made on the Michael Reade show on LMFM last week, in which he described an article in The Dundalk Democrat as inaccurate.

The article came about following the independent candidate’s decision to lodge a complaint with local gardaí, claiming that his Facebook account had been hacked. A user logged in as Cllr Morgan posted an explicit video on a local page – something that was quickly removed.

Cllr Morgan claimed in The Democrat that two friends who had been in his house had posted the link but a statement released to LMFM shortly after seemed to contradict this as he claimed his account was hacked by “evil elements” who wanted to thwart his local election campaign.

The Meadow Grove man now agrees that The Dundalk Democrat accurately reported a telephone interview on Monday February 24th.

In a statement released yesterday, Cllr Morgan moved to clarify his comments on LMFM which took place less than 24 hours after the interview with The Democrat.

He said: “Being under the impression that my two friends had committed a criminal offence by uploading the masturbation video to my page and being fearful of them being punished for the offence, I very wrongly told Michael that Ian Cameron’s report in the Democrat newspaper had been inaccurate.”

Could we trust this man?

I always got the impression that someone was managing him behind the scences, picking his battles etc. Ive not heard hip speak so i cant comment and further on his ability. He certainly was never short on what he was actioning and making sure the papers covered it.

The latest scandals are unfortunate and why he would spare his obiously dim friends at the expense of feldgling policital career. Dunno what to make of it and there are other options more likely to get my vote, HE may scrape a low preference if i have one left and the alternatative is SF

Anyone know if we can get a list of expenses sitting councilors have claimed?

• Advertisement

Thanks Srameen - printed out and ready to question the candidates. Nice money if you can get it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I have to agree. These are Local Elections and I will vote for people who will be best for the job of local government. National issues will not be a factor for me. I believe in local representatives for local issues and national politicians for the Dail. Parish plump politics for the parish and not for the national government.
    Parties never play a part for me in local elections apart from one party that I would not vote for if my life depended on it.
    I will be raising traffic and road conditions with those canvassing. Living a very rural area, we don't get much from the council as we have our own water and sewage systems, no public lighting or parks and the like to take issue with.

Hi there Amelie Noisy Tutu, interesting to discourse in other fora as well as our usual haunt !
    While not living in Co Louth, hope I'm not diverting too much here and, while I agree about local elections being about local issues , I can't but feel aggrieved that in supporting local politicians of government parties (whatever the shape of the government of the day) I am inherently supporting that government , through its local agents . For that reason I feel it totally appropriate that I ask my prospective local councillors for their views and stance on government policies. Perhaps if enough people raised national government policy issues (that concern and effect them in their daily lives) on the doorstep with canvassers, it may be more influential in having our voices heard in the immediate time rather than haranguing the hard nosed politicos at the top table or waiting until their turn comes up in a few years ! If the grassroots get the message , hopefully they will pass it on up the line !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ad hoc expenses? Is this petrol allowance room rent or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

am i missing something, why is the a meeting on the reopening of Dunleer railway being held in ardee, surely it should be held in Dunleer:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BBOC

I thought it strange that potholes have been filled last week when they have been there for the past couple of years.

I personally don't wish to speak to any of them.

B

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/local-news/real-battle-set-for-dundalk-south-1-6030626

I still expect something of a shock result here.Malone in the rock is the dark horse i believe.

Advertisement