Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black sugarpaste icing.

• 07-03-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

No idea what I've got myself in for, but I'm baking a cake (tonight!) that is to resemble an XBox. The base is fine (chocolate biscuit) as are some of the buttons (Smarties, chocolate buttons etc)

Anyone know where I could get black and grey sugarpaste icing in Dublin on short notice? Failing that, anyone know how to do buttercream icing that's black, and doesnt taste bitter (because of all the colouring)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Decobake on Bachelors Walk in town sell black icing. If that's not an option for you, homestore and more sell wilton ready to roll white fondant and black gel colouring, but make sure to wear gloves when mixing it! Best of luck with it x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Gawd, I wouldn't fancy me chances at making black icing with paste. There's a decobake in Clane as well but I'd ring ahead to see if they have it in stock before making the journey.
    Alternatively cos I'm not sure where you are based you have Homebaking in dublin 15.
    D'oh, just noticed you're in Dublin so discount Clane.

http://www.homebaking.ie/shop/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭phormium

If you have to go with the buttercream start with chocolate buttercream, must easier to get it black than plain stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Liana*

phormium wrote: »
    If you have to go with the buttercream start with chocolate buttercream, must easier to get it black than plain stuff.

This is a great idea, you can also get extra black paste for colouring icing.
    Decobake or Kitchen complements should have black sugarpaste, wear gloves if you are using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Have some black food colouring in the cupboard. Picked it up when they were clearing the halloween stock out of one of the german discounters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement