Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft seed spuds ok?

• 07-03-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

So I treated myself to some €1.49 seed spuds from dealz, but they are all soft and chitted already!

would they grow ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yeah they should be fine. So long as they are certified virus free of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

What are the sprouts like? Are they short and stumpy, green/purple in colour? If so, they'll be fine. If they are long and straggly, clear/white in colour, you may have problems.
    Regarding diseases, I assume they're certified with EC1/EC2/EC3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

What are the sprouts like? Are they short and stumpy, green/purple in colour? If so, they'll be fine. If they are long and straggly, clear/white in colour, you may have problems.
    Regarding diseases, I assume they're certified with EC1/EC2/EC3?

hhhmmmmmm. they are the latter! Have to check but they come in a pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

They'll be fine. You can break the long chits off and let new ones grow or just plant them. Chitting is usually only done for earlies to try get an even earlier crop, or maybe to control the number of haulms and therefore the size and number of resulting tubers.
    Some people bury the seed carefully with those long chits and swear it works very well for them.
    To be honest I'd just bung them in with sufficient food. It's usually pests and disease that makes the big difference between success and failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

In that case handle them with care. Leave them in a cold room with daylight, such as a shed. They may turn green and thrive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement