Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returing a damaged jacket

Options
  • 07-03-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right section?

Just a query about how this should work. I bought a well known brand jacket in their own shop in Dublin about two/three weeks ago. I have tried on my jacket and everything and at the checkout only I found it was actually reduced to half price so I was of course delighted as I would have bought it at full price.

In the meantime the two pockets of the jacket have now ripped one in the sowing at the bottom of the pocket, the other has totally come away from the zip section of the pocket so when you put in your hand you could be in the lining of the jacket.

My query was what will happen when I bring it back? I love the jacket would really like a replacement as I hope it was just one dud jacket as the brand have a decent reputation. If the shop has the jacket but it is back full price will I have to pay the difference? Or if the jacket is sold out will I just get a credit note or what are my rights? I think the jacket wasn't fit for purpose so I feel I should get a replacement and surely it wasn't my fault I picked a faulty jacket from the shelf? should I have to pay full price now if the price has risen in the two/three weeks since purchase?

Want to be fully ready going back tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Once the damage has been agreed to be a manufacturing fault, you should get a repair,replacement or a refund.

Both you and the retailer need to come to an agreement on what you both want.

You do not have to accept the credit note, but once you do thats it, no changing your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Firstly, the fact you bought it for a discount does not affect your consumer rights, it's worth knowing that in case the retailer disputes your rights. Any replacement should be of equivalent quality and value, and be at no cost to you, i.e. if they offer you the same jacket again they can not charge you the price difference. However, if they give a refund it will be for the discounted price as that's what you paid, not the full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Firstly, the fact you bought it for a discount does not affect your consumer rights, it's worth knowing that in case the retailer disputes your rights. Any replacement should be of equivalent quality and value, and be at no cost to you, i.e. if they offer you the same jacket again they can not charge you the price difference. However, if they give a refund it will be for the discounted price as that's what you paid, not the full price.

Can I insist on a replacement or is it up to the retailer which they give me? I actually really like the jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Can I insist on a replacement or is it up to the retailer which they give me? I actually really like the jacket

You can require them to do a repair or give a replacement. The law doesn't say anything about either party being able to dictate which, so it's up for negotiation. The shop is within its rights and your rights to offer have the jacket repaired, but you can refuse. You can ask for a replacement but they can refuse. Either remedy may be reasonable.

Most likely they will offer you an identical replacement as it's easiest all round, assuming it's in stock or if you're happy to wait for new stock to come in. If the next one has the same defect you are entitled to your money back.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You can require them to do a repair or give a replacement. The law doesn't say anything about either party being able to dictate which, so it's up for negotiation. The shop is within its rights and your rights to offer have the jacket repaired, but you can refuse. You can ask for a replacement but they can refuse. Either remedy may be reasonable.

Most likely they will offer you an identical replacement as it's easiest all round, assuming it's in stock or if you're happy to wait for new stock to come in. If the next one has the same defect you are entitled to your money back.

That sounds reasonable and the option I would choose. Thanks for help, heading up in the morning will let you know how it goes!! Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Hope this is the right section?

Just a query about how this should work. I bought a well known brand jacket in their own shop in Dublin about two/three weeks ago. I have tried on my jacket and everything and at the checkout only I found it was actually reduced to half price so I was of course delighted as I would have bought it at full price.

In the meantime the two pockets of the jacket have now ripped one in the sowing at the bottom of the pocket, the other has totally come away from the zip section of the pocket so when you put in your hand you could be in the lining of the jacket.

My query was what will happen when I bring it back? I love the jacket would really like a replacement as I hope it was just one dud jacket as the brand have a decent reputation. If the shop has the jacket but it is back full price will I have to pay the difference? Or if the jacket is sold out will I just get a credit note or what are my rights? I think the jacket wasn't fit for purpose so I feel I should get a replacement and surely it wasn't my fault I picked a faulty jacket from the shelf? should I have to pay full price now if the price has risen in the two/three weeks since purchase?

Want to be fully ready going back tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance guys.

Superdry? I've had this same problem with every jacket from them.

kc90 wrote: »
    Superdry? I've had this same problem with every jacket from them.

No not Superdry, am I allowed disclose the name on the forum?

Anyway I brought the jacket back today. Shop assistant offered an exchange and told me go get another off the shelf. There was none left my size. The assistant then said the price was going up Monday and new stock would arrive next week. He has written on my receipt and taken my name says I will get a replacement next week. He started talking about paying the difference but then changed his mind and rambled a little.

I have to call back late next week, so will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I hope you still have the jacket and the receipt?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I hope you still have the jacket and the receipt?

Yeah I still have the jacket and the receipt.

Advertisement