Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW swimming - when to return?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When do people normally return to the fresh water?
    With the weather hopefully looking to improve would like to start venturing out for the odd session as first race of season in early may is OW. The lake I use is well sheltered.
    Does the water temp change much or is it just perception that it's alto colder? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi,

When do people normally return to the fresh water?
    With the weather hopefully looking to improve would like to start venturing out for the odd session as first race of season in early may is OW. The lake I use is well sheltered.
    Does the water temp change much or is it just perception that it's alto colder? Cheers

Tomorrow for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Tomorrow for me :D

Guess I need to add a bottle of HTFU to the shopping list so!

LMAO nah I'm heading away for a week.

Here though usually first week in May or last week in April if the spring was mild. Temp wise 10-10.5 degrees will entice me in for 15-20 mins to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Big delivery just arrived in ready for the season ;)
    297501.jpg

AKW wrote: »
    Big delivery just arrived in ready for the season ;)
    297501.jpg

Take a few swigs yourself Chief and get thee training! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This year? As soon as I get a new wetsuit and water temperature here gets up to around 12c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Take a few swigs yourself Chief and get thee training! ;)

Touche!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 heavybreather

Temperatures aren't bad for this time of year, about 8degrees out west.

its ok for about 200 mtrs for me building slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Here in the west, quite a few hit the seas (wetsuited) during april and it gets underway in earnest in May. Good idea to wear earplugs to guard against cold water damage to ears. Neoprene swim hats make a big difference for April or for the first couple of sessions. Seen some wearing socks, you can't use in events some HTFU spray just as good. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Promethius, How would cold water damage your ears ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

martin6651 wrote: »
    Promethius, How would cold water damage your ears ?

cold water in the ear canal can cause the bone to grow and narrow the ear canal, surfers wear ear plugs to prevent what's known as surfers ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thinking about going back in on friday. Have a 5:3 surf wetsuit and if needs be some gloves and a hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I had to have my ear canal drilled out and for weeks after had dressing forced into my canal. All from ow swimming. Now wear blue tack in my ears while swimming. I find its the best thing.

I had to have my ear canal drilled out and for weeks after had dressing forced into my canal. All from ow swimming. Now wear blue tack in my ears while swimming. I find its the best thing.

Sounds sore. Was it severe conditions that caused it?

Sounds sore. Was it severe conditions that caused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

No just constant exposure to cold water. Was told i would need other ear done within a year that was about 12 years ago. So if you swim reg ow plug your ears. Believe me the pain was off the scale.

Advertisement