Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do on maternity leave

Options
  • 07-03-2014 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

...besides minding a new baby of course :o
    I'm due to go on mat leave in a few weeks time and want to make the most of this precious time with my new baby, all going well. I've seen there is a buggy bootcamp in barna, a parent and baby morning in the eye cinema. I'm hoping to walk the prom allot and meet friends etc. any other ideas I can look into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

<Unhelpful post removed> Sorry , I couldn't resist , best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Oops69 wrote: »
    <Unhelpful post removed> Sorry , I couldn't resist , best of luck:D

Ha... I thought my husband had changed username!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are various mother and baby groups around town - here's one on the east (Doughiska / Roscam ish) but I know there are others out west, too.

http://www.galwaybabygroup.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

The cinema morning is great :)
    I've been a few times with my little one, and it's always busy. You always see the same people too, which is nice for a pre- or post-cinema chat.

The primary care centres (or, at least the one in Doughishka) run 'well baby clinics', your public health nurse should be able to tell you more, and if it's available for you - basically a series of talks by the nurses on things like teething, weaning, etc. you go with your baby and meet other mums - I've made some great friends there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you haven't already, sign up here: http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Pregnancy.aspx

The nice thing is that they group mothers together so a large group of ye posting are all going through the same thing at the same time. My wife found it helpful for all types of questions/ideas.

Best of luck and get as much sleep while you can!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Meet people for lunch. If you're in Barna, ask your public health nurse about the knocknacarra mums meetings. They group by the month the babies are born so there's a really nice sense of community. It takes place in Clybaun hotel.

The baby swim classes run by Mary Kenny in Salthill hotel are also excellent for meeting other parents. You'll have the summer too, so the prom.

In general though, meeting other adults is essential for maternity leave sanity!

Advertisement