Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is 'Retention Tax'?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello.  I have a BOI Global Markets term deposit account.  I have not noticed it in the past, but I now notice that 'Retention Tax' was deducted from overall Interest Credit each time I renewed the term for next period.  Can I claim back this Retention Tax?  If so, how do I do it?  Do I have to do with the Revenue's Office, and if so, exactly how?  Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

par418_p wrote: »
    Hello.  I have a BOI Global Markets term deposit account.  I have not noticed it in the past, but I now notice that 'Retention Tax' was deducted from overall Interest Credit each time I renewed the term for next period.  Can I claim back this Retention Tax?  If so, how do I do it?  Do I have to do with the Revenue's Office, and if so, exactly how?  Thank you.
    It's DIRT (Deposit Interest Retention Tax) tax,you have heard of that I'm sure. I don't see why you would be able to claim it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

It is DIRT - Deposit Interest Retention Tax. it is a tax on your Interest income which the bank will pay to Revenue. No you can't claim it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 par418_p

It's DIRT (Deposit Interest Retention Tax) tax,you have heard of that I'm sure. I don't see why you would be able to claim it back.
    Thanks for this.  I had the name confused.  It is the DIRT.  I did not make the connection.  Thanks for the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi par418_p,

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you are an Irish resident the interest paid or credited on deposits you hold is subject to DIRT. Non-residents are not subject to this tax.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Hi par418_p,

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you are an Irish resident the interest paid or credited on deposits you hold is subject to DIRT. Non-residents are not subject to this tax.

Thanks
    Tara
    Indeed but you cannot hold a Global Markets account if you are non-resident for more than 6 months of the year. There are strict regulations on this as I am sure you are aware Tara.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi yosser hughes,

Just to clarify, my post is in relation to DIRT, as per thread title, and not the account type.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement