Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got a job, but desperately need help for relocating to Cork

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

hello,

after few years living on one family payment, I finally got a job. I ill get the contract in the next days.
    my problem is. my training starts on the 24th this month in Cork but im living with my son in Donegal. i thought i will have more time.
    i have no savings and because of a full time job, i wont get benefits. i will have to move but i cant afford the deposit for a place to rent.
    i called the community officer, the county council, the citizen information. nobody can help.
    does anybody know if i could get a loan somewhere? or any help at all?
    im desperate. i dont want to refuse this job and have to be depending on the welfare for the rest of my life only because i dont have the savings for moving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Depending on the type of employer they may be able to give you a contact or an intro to a local place? What about a hostel, similar cost to renting but without the need for deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fia79

I was thinking of a hostel but then I would have to stay about 2 months in a hostel to be able to afford the deposit for a new home. maybe even longer. from my salary which I get after a month of work, I would have to pay the hostel, the usual cost of living (food etc), 4 weeks for the council house as I have to tell them that I give it up and then I have a 4 weeks frist.
    they just told me I got the job this morning so I will have to pay 4 more weeks rent here.
    during my training im earning not that much anyway. I wont be able to save much for the deposit for renting a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Credit union?

Is the job in cork or just the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How old is your son, and will he be moving with you? If so, then I don't think a hostel is really an option. (And I'm not sure many of them take long term people anyway.)

Could you try VdP? I know it seems desperate ... but might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

How old is your son, and will he be moving with you? If so, then I don't think a hostel is really an option. (And I'm not sure many of them take long term people anyway.)

It might be your only shot op, unless you have a family member who might be able to give you a dig out, or even go guarantor on a loan til you get on your feet. Is your sons dad on the scene? Maybe he could help with your son, while you go down to get yourself organised- though I know that would be tough for you. Fair play to you for trying to get yourself back to work- you're an example of how it might sometimes be easier not to bother.
    If I still lived in cork, I'd actually have you sleeping on my floor while you got sorted!!

jlm29 wrote: »
    It might be your only shot op, unless you have a family member who might be able to give you a dig out, or even go guarantor on a loan til you get on your feet. Is your sons dad on the scene? Maybe he could help with your son, while you go down to get yourself organised- though I know that would be tough for you. Fair play to you for trying to get yourself back to work- you're an example of how it might sometimes be easier not to bother.
    If I still lived in cork, I'd actually have you sleeping on my floor while you got sorted!!

that's really sweet of you, thank you.

my sons dad never payed a cent in 13 years and my only family would be my mother. she is depending on disability allowance and couldn't give me financial help.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Credit union?

sadly not :( definitely soon though. I don't want to end up in a similar situation again.

my son is 14. he would stay in Donegal with my mother until I have things sorted in cork.

I thought of VdP myself. this should be the very last option I consider but I will try if I don't find help anywhere else.

Is the job in cork or just the training?

the training and the job are in cork

• Advertisement

Fia79 wrote: »
    the training and the job are in cork

Try being upfront with the company?
    Some companies can be really good about stuff like this and may give you a sub out of your first payslip and/or assist in accommodation until you get yourself sorted.

Try being upfront with the company?
    Some companies can be really good about stuff like this and may give you a sub out of your first payslip and/or assist in accommodation until you get yourself sorted.

im only worried if I ask the company and they are not happy with me having problems right away, that they don't keep me. but this will be an option if I have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Talk with the company, if you are moving that far and with such short notice then I would be expecting a relocation package of some sort. Or that they put you up in the company apartment for a few weeks until you are sorted, most companies have one to save on hotel costs.

jester77 wrote: »
    Talk with the company, if you are moving that far and with such short notice then I would be expecting a relocation package of some sort. Or that they put you up in the company apartment for a few weeks until you are sorted, most companies have one to save on hotel costs.

they do offer relocation packages but only if I move from an different country.

I will ask and maybe they can help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Definitely see if the company can help. When I moved to the UK, my boss gave me a relocation bonus upfront which really helped with the expenses of moving.

You may not get that but I could see them advancing the salary for the costs.

Definitely see if the company can help. When I moved to the UK, my boss gave me a relocation bonus upfront which really helped with the expenses of moving.

You may not get that but I could see them advancing the salary for the costs.

it worth a try then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I dont know if it would be any help but I live in County Cork about 15 miles from the city. There is a pretty good bus service. You are more than welcome to stay with us. We have plenty spare rooms as all but one of our kids have flown the nest and she is off to NZ in a few weeks.
    pm me if I can be any help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

jester77 wrote: »
    Lets be realistic here. Relocation packages are rare and generally refer to people working in the same company moving or people headhunted. Getting a job is very unlikely to warrant a relocation package specially one where you need to do training to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Lets be realistic here. Relocation packages are rare and generally refer to people working in the same company moving or people headhunted. Getting a job is very unlikely to warrant a relocation package specially one where you need to do training to start.

Yes, lets be realistic, you dont know anything about this, Isnt everyone who is offered a job "head-hunted" in one form or another.

OP you wont get a relocation fee .... Unless you ask. I advised my OH to do this for her latest job, and they were happy to oblige. Moving from Limerick to Cork. Remember, every job requires training, but the fact of the matter is, it is always hard to find someone suitable for a particular job, someone that will stay with the company for years, not cause trouble, and get on well with the other staff, and when a company finds a person, they would be willing to spend a few pound to encourage them to stay.

All the best OP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In terms of relocation fees, company apartments etc, a lot will depend on the size of the company. If its a big enough company then its a possibility, but for most small to medium sized companies I would be very surprised if they were willing/able to offer such a thing.

• Advertisement

its a huge american company even. because they do offer relocation packages for people if they don't live in Ireland, im actually quite sure they must be able to provide or have connections to places where I could rent something. just the conditions I don't know. I hope they can put me to a sharing accommodation or anything like that for a short while. maybe they will take the rent for it from my salary then.
    it depends on how much the rent would be but maybe it could give me some time to save for deposit and sort out things.

my son will be fine in Donegal for a few weeks if necessary. even it will break my heart.

anyway, I think that could be a realistic option the company could help me with.

gubby wrote: »
    I dont know if it would be any help but I live in County Cork about 15 miles from the city. There is a pretty good bus service. You are more than welcome to stay with us. We have plenty spare rooms as all but one of our kids have flown the nest and she is off to NZ in a few weeks.
    pm me if I can be any help

wow that's awfully nice of you. I will try the other options I have of course .... all the many, many options I have hahaha..... but thank you so much for this great offer.

Squatman wrote: »
    Yes, lets be realistic, you dont know anything about this, Isnt everyone who is offered a job "head-hunted" in one form or another.
    I know a lot about recruitment and company polices. No people are not head hunted by virtue of a recruitment. Head hunting is where they go looking for you as an individual. They aren't going to offer a relocation package and to ask for it would probably do more harm than good. It is completely unrealistic

I know a lot about recruitment and company polices. No people are not head hunted by virtue of a recruitment. Head hunting is where they go looking for you as an individual. They aren't going to offer a relocation package and to ask for it would probably do more harm than good. It is completely unrealistic

It is reasonable that there are moving expenses and the company could be willing to provide a bit of advanced salary to cover these. This would not be a relocation package, but upfront money to cover costs.

I was not head hunted and did not even seek a relocation package, it was just offered to me with my job offer. That was a slightly different proposition however, as it meant moving country.

I have recently been head hunted but I have not entertained any offers far enough to hear what kind of relocation packages they offer (if any).

It is reasonable that there are moving expenses and the company could be willing to provide a bit of advanced salary to cover these. This would not be a relocation package, but upfront money to cover costs.

I was not head hunted and did not even seek a relocation package, it was just offered to me with my job offer. That was a slightly different proposition however, as it meant moving country.

I have recently been head hunted but I have not entertained any offers far enough to hear what kind of relocation packages they offer (if any).

No it is not reasonable and asking for it could very easily bee seen as troubling.

Moving to another country is not slightly different it is massively different.

This is a commuting distance for some. If you think it is realistic a relocation package is offered think about it this way, would you pay extra for the employee after you agreed a salary? Most companies will not do this unless there is a special reason.

No it is not reasonable and asking for it could very easily bee seen as troubling.

Moving to another country is not slightly different it is massively different.

This is a commuting distance for some. If you think it is realistic a relocation package is offered think about it this way, would you pay extra for the employee after you agreed a salary? Most companies will not do this unless there is a special reason.

I'm not saying they should get more money, just ask for an advance on the salary.

Also, a 5 hour drive is not my idea of a commuting distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

few things you can do:
    check if HR have any local facilities, as mentioned above.
    either a relocation package or they may book you a hotel for a couple of weeks.
    its not unheard of but eally depends on your salary scale

find out when payday is and when payroll happens. you may find that you are paid very shortly after starting if they are set up correctly

ask HR if there is an internal notice board with room shares etc. you might get a short term option via that. hr might faciliate something there

check cheap hotels / apartments, places where you can pay on check out

if its just for a few weeks. check college sites to see if you can get digs mon-fri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

I think you need to be careful, here and I'd think long and hard about asking for relocation expenses, in my opinion they should provide something if they're a big american firm.

Having said that, it depends on the type of job, if it's something in high demand, they'll bend over backwards if not, they'll look to move onto someone who can accommodate for little cost.

Now here's the big one, for the first six months you're on probation, the company can drop you like a hot stone in that time, if you're seen to be 'hassle'.

The first six months in a company are crucial for your career, especially if you're coming back into the workforce after being out of it.

I've seen people completely destroy any chance of getting ahead in a company because of their behaviour in the first six months, and they don't even realise their doing it.

Your bosses are looking for someone who helps them and makes them look good, they're not looking for someone that makes them have to justify the hire to their bosses, believe me when I say I know what I'm talking about here.

If I was you I would do everything I could before I'd ask the company, it won't reflect well, and will show a lack of self sufficiency, and it will come back to bite you later, first impressions last for the amount of time you're with that company.

One thing you really have to remember here, and some people have a hard time with this, and that is, that nobody owes you anything, and the only way to get to a point where they do is to perform in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

No its not, read the rest of my post.
    If you dont ask you wont get. Its all part of negotiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Squatman wrote: »
    No its not, read the rest of my post.
    If you dont ask you wont get. Its all part of negotiation.

Not if it isn't a job that's in high demand, for instance a manager for a division, or a highly skilled developer, the company will do it. If your job is in a call centre answering phones, then they'll more than likely raise an eyebrow, if it was available I'm sure it would have been mentioned by the recruiter.

To negotiate you need to have something the company can't easily get somewhere else, if not then you're better off not bringing it up.

Advertisement