Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got a job, but desperately need help for relocating to Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

The Spider wrote: »
    Not if it isn't a job that's in high demand, for instance a manager for a division, or a highly skilled developer, the company will do it. If your job is in a call centre answering phones, then they'll more than likely raise an eyebrow, if it was available I'm sure it would have been mentioned by the recruiter.

To negotiate you need to have something the company can't easily get somewhere else, if not then you're better off not bringing it up.

If they are offering you the job, then the company already thinks you have something they cant get somewhere else. The safest thing for you to have said was that you dont know.
    I dont know either, but I know my OH got it, and one thing is for certain, if you dont ask for it, you wont get it. Good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Squatman wrote: »
    If they are offering you the job, then the company already thinks you have something they cant get somewhere else. The safest thing for you to have said was that you dont know.
    I dont know either, but I know my OH got it, and one thing is for certain, if you dont ask for it, you wont get it. Good day!

Nah not really, seeing as I do a lot of hiring (and firing unfortunately) and I know the requirements for relocation expenses.

And I have hired people who I know it's easy to replace and people who I'd have great difficulty in doing so.

I did say at the start that if they're a big american company they should provide something.

Anyway it's a HR issue and relocation expenses come down to a particular departments budget, one department in a company may have a decent budget for it and another may have none.

I suppose the OP could ask to speak to someone from HR and they'll let them know the policy, and they'll know one way or another, but if that course is taken I would advise to ask about the policy in regard to relocation expenses and not try and negotiate, if the policy is no relocation expenses, then there is zero room for negotiation, because it hasn't been factored into that departments budget for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Squatman wrote: »
    You are rating being hired way above what it actually means to a company. If you pick 5 out of 20 applicants for a role you will very easily withdraw an offer and give it to the next person on your rating.

I have withdrawn offers for people who started asking for more. The main reason was because I hired people who started asking for stuff above the job they were offered. Later on they were trouble now I see it as an indication of a poor attitude and unrealistic expectations.

An offer can and will be withdrawn for less so not a good idea to ask IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If it's who I think it is, they will give you a sub, OP. Won't be a problem.

PM me if you're still stuck. If it's the same company, I can put the word out asking people if they can rent you a room till you get settled. I can also help with best places to live in close proximity to the company.

Congrats on the job offer and best of luck! *shakes hand*

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You are rating being hired way above what it actually means to a company. If you pick 5 out of 20 applicants for a role you will very easily withdraw an offer and give it to the next person on your rating.

I have withdrawn offers for people who started asking for more. The main reason was because I hired people who started asking for stuff above the job they were offered. Later on they were trouble now I see it as an indication of a poor attitude and unrealistic expectations.

An offer can and will be withdrawn for less so not a good idea to ask IMHO.

All the OP has to do is get in touch with HR, explain the situation and ask for a sub. Sorted.

• Advertisement

All the OP has to do is get in touch with HR, explain the situation and ask for a sub. Sorted.
    Not necessarily. Most companies will take exception to this. If you think it is worth the risk fine but you are going through this the OP is. It is no risk to you but maybe a risk to the OP. That has to be pointed out. Many many companies are not so carefree about such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe ABajaninCork is right and this company will give a sub. (Cork's not that large, people are likely to know).

But in general, I'm with Ray. Many companies won't, and will indeed look badly on a new employee who ask. What's more, the OP has been living in a council house (meaning relatively low, income-related, rent) and apparently still has not enough savings. Now there may be some good reasons for this (we have no way of knowing what circumstances have seen the OP end up in this situation) But still that's not a personal attribute that I'd want to be sharing with a new employer.

Also, I don't think that a sub actuallly solves the problem. Sure if the OP gets it, they can use it to pay a deposit. But what do they live on until their second pay in the new job comes through. How do they pay for the bus-fare to Cork and the zillion and one things they're likely to need moving into a new place (duvet, sheets, tea-towels, initial kitchen and cleaning stuff .. it all adds up). Ireland's a small enough country, but even so the OP would be severely stretched to pop home to Donegal at the weekend to grab extra stuff that s/he left behind.

Not necessarily. Most companies will take exception to this. If you think it is worth the risk fine but you are going through this the OP is. It is no risk to you but maybe a risk to the OP. That has to be pointed out. Many many companies are not so carefree about such things.

Did you read my posts Ray?

Did you read my posts Ray?
    yes did you read mine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Lets be realistic here. Relocation packages are rare and generally refer to people working in the same company moving or people headhunted. Getting a job is very unlikely to warrant a relocation package specially one where you need to do training to start.

Not true, I know many people who got relocation for shorter distances including myself. Also if a company is actively recruiting outside its locality (especially abroad) this would be normal to have relocation paid. The bigger the company the better the policy on this usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

chris85 wrote: »
    Not true, I know many people who got relocation for shorter distances including myself. Also if a company is actively recruiting outside its locality (especially abroad) this would be normal to have relocation paid. The bigger the company the better the policy on this usually.

Yeah - but what is your job-role? And were you already in a job at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I shall send you a pm there

Milly33 wrote: »
    I shall send you a pm there

sounds like quite the bother.. Hope you get things sorted

chris85 wrote: »

Nope generally if someone applies for a job but lives outside the locality it's assumed they have no problem getting to work, two questions you can't ask in an interview are, how old are you, and where do you live.

For the simple reason they may prejudice the outcome of the interview, if someone gives up the information voluntarily that's their own look out, and I can say from experience when recruiting in the past, we had someone who was on paper extensively qualified and gave a great interview, he then told us where he lived, and we ended up hiring another candidate closer to home, because we thought there were going to be issues.

We've also hired in the past where people gave nothing away in the interview and it was only after they got the job that we realised the distances they were travelling, they never asked for relocation expenses, and if they did they wouldn't have got it,as when they applied for the job as far as we were concerned it wasn't a problem.

If we recruit form outside the country then yes we will pay relocation expenses, but the people we're looking for outside the country are highly skilled and we know we can't source them here, also moving country is a big deal, and we're aware of how much we're asking from someone in the interview, so we will help them relocate.

Like I say as far as an employer in Ireland is concerned if someone is applying for a job in a different county, they'll think they intend to move there anyway, and would be quite surprised if they asked their new employer to give them a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fia79

first, I like to thank you all for the comments. I appreciate them so much. you all make me think of possibilities and aware of things I wasn't thinking of. its a great help to me already. thank you all.

I agree with spider.
    maybe it isn't a problem for the company to help but on the other hand, what if they do have a problem with it? I cant know and there will be a risk what can cost me the job during my probation.

I know I will be important enough for the company as im a german speaker. that's a must for my position. also the training starts that soon and the company might will have difficulties to find other german speakers on that short notice.
    without the training they wont let anybody work there and who knows when the next training is planned. until then, they cant hire other german speakers actually.
    still it would be not wise to think they really need me.
    im afraid to take any slightest risk what could make me look bad. this job is a chance for me to get out of the welfare circle.

but to the good news:

a little help I will get from the welfare. they sent me a form and it looks like they can help a bit with the transport cost of moving. that's something, yaaayyyy ;) .

another great thing, a friend of mine can support me with a little amout of cash monthly until im sorted.

there could be an accommodation for me in cork for a short while.

with a bit of luck I will find an affordable place to rent for me and my son very quick.
    Im thinking of asking SvP to help out with the deposit. maybe they agree to monthly rates to pay them back. the members of SvP here in my village know me since 8 years.
    so please cross fingers for me :)

Yeah - but what is your job-role? And were you already in a job at the time?

A professional role and I was straight out of college first time I got an offer which I didnt take but included relocation which was over to the UK.

Second two roles offered same time when I finished college again for a masters degree. Professional role and both offered relocation. One was in Ireland and other in Europe.

Well done to you, I am just reading through all the post here and it sounds like you are trying your best to get this to work for you. Great to hear welfare will help you out, and SVP.

If ye need anything at all let me know I sent a pm there to you about a possible place to stay if you wanted but if you need a hand setting things up, or even bits and pieces for a place when ye do get sorted let me know I seem to have acquired a mass selection of house hold items that I cant fit in the castle haha.. But just ask..

I hope it works out for you now it really does seem like you are trying your best fair deuce to you!!

Milly33 wrote: »
    Well done to you, I am just reading through all the post here and it sounds like you are trying your best to get this to work for you. Great to hear welfare will help you out, and SVP.

If ye need anything at all let me know I sent a pm there to you about a possible place to stay if you wanted but if you need a hand setting things up, or even bits and pieces for a place when ye do get sorted let me know I seem to have acquired a mass selection of house hold items that I cant fit in the castle haha.. But just ask..

I hope it works out for you now it really does seem like you are trying your best fair deuce to you!!

aaawww milly that's so nice of you. thank you so much. its just great to know I can contact somebody if I need those kind of help. I can breath easyer now ;)
    thank you so much. I appreciate it a lot

Fia79 wrote: »
    first, I like to thank you all for the comments. I appreciate them so much. you all make me think of possibilities and aware of things I wasn't thinking of. its a great help to me already. thank you all.

I agree with spider.
    maybe it isn't a problem for the company to help but on the other hand, what if they do have a problem with it? I cant know and there will be a risk what can cost me the job during my probation.

I know I will be important enough for the company as im a german speaker. that's a must for my position. also the training starts that soon and the company might will have difficulties to find other german speakers on that short notice.
    without the training they wont let anybody work there and who knows when the next training is planned. until then, they cant hire other german speakers actually.
    still it would be not wise to think they really need me.
    im afraid to take any slightest risk what could make me look bad. this job is a chance for me to get out of the welfare circle.

but to the good news:

a little help I will get from the welfare. they sent me a form and it looks like they can help a bit with the transport cost of moving. that's something, yaaayyyy ;) .

another great thing, a friend of mine can support me with a little amout of cash monthly until im sorted.

there could be an accommodation for me in cork for a short while.

with a bit of luck I will find an affordable place to rent for me and my son very quick.
    Im thinking of asking SvP to help out with the deposit. maybe they agree to monthly rates to pay them back. the members of SvP here in my village know me since 8 years.
    so please cross fingers for me :)

Good work Fia79. Not an easy thing relocating, especially with a child, and I am sure it will work out for you with your good attitude towards it. Good to see the distance is not deterring you from working hard. Really do hope it works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

OP glad to hear things are beginning to fall into place for you but how are you going to manage your son's education

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What's more, the OP has been living in a council house (meaning relatively low, income-related, rent) and apparently still has not enough savings. Now there may be some good reasons for this (we have no way of knowing what circumstances have seen the OP end up in this situation) But still that's not a personal attribute that I'd want to be sharing with a new employer.

Point of order..

Contrary to some opinions (usually expressed over in Politics rather than Accomodation), being on the dole (council house regardless) is far from easy street.

The OP will still have to pay rent (albeit reduced but then, so is their means), utilities, transport costs, VAT on everything they buy etc etc - in short the same as everyone else, employed or not! Any savings they may have had will also be rapidly eaten by that too.

The OP may have debts from when they were working that don't just disappear with their salary either, nor can you say "Ah shure, I'll give it to ya when I have it!" - everyone needs to be paid something.. something that is extremely stressful when you're living from week to week.

I am sick of this attitude that unemployment/welfare in this country is some sort of paradise. Yes, for those who are abusing it and claiming fraudulently maybe it is (still a minority) - but the vast majority of "new" (as in the last 4/5 years) unemployed would do anything to get back to work - as in the case of the OP here - and are far from "living it up"!

(For the record I'm working myself and have been save for one year after being made redundant in 2009 - but that still doesn't entitle me to look down or belittle others who are less fortunate than I am. But for the whim of an employer, it's a position ANYONE could find themselves in tomorrow!)

Anyway, on topic..

Congrats on the offer OP. It's people like you who are willing to go the extra mile (literally!) to get back in the workforce that we (as in society in general) should be supporting.

Hope the new job works out :)

thank you Chris and Fieldman :)

a new start always has its positive sides worth fighting for. from nothing we get nothing and im very excited about the new job, the now home, etc. all the hussle can be dealt with easier if you focus on the big adventure whats coming.
    ok, im getting carried away now haha.

my so is the one who will suffer @Fieldsman. he hates the idea of moving away. he grew up here in this village. .....and the worst...... he has his first gf since a few days. damn, just now *sight

but he is an open child. he easily will make new friends and he will benefit from cork in future. he wont get a place to work in Donegal and he will have many more options for his future in cork. still it will be tough for him until he has settled.

he has to change school then. this I will arrange when im in cork. he can stay here in Donegal with my mother until ive sorted a place to rent and the new school. ... new school uniform, books etc will be the next problem but one step by another.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

jester77 wrote: »
    Talk with the company, if you are moving that far and with such short notice then I would be expecting a relocation package of some sort. Or that they put you up in the company apartment for a few weeks until you are sorted, most companies have one to save on hotel costs.

Unrealistic I'm afraid. The OP applied for a job in Cork, expenses relocating there would be his/her responsibility. Why don't you see if you can push out the start date a bit to give you more time to get organised?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Point of order..

Contrary to some opinions (usually expressed over in Politics rather than Accomodation), being on the dole (council house regardless) is far from easy street.

The OP will still have to pay rent (albeit reduced but then, so is their means), utilities, transport costs, VAT on everything they buy etc etc - in short the same as everyone else, employed or not! Any savings they may have had will also be rapidly eaten by that too.

The OP may have debts from when they were working that don't just disappear with their salary either, nor can you say "Ah shure, I'll give it to ya when I have it!" - everyone needs to be paid something.. something that is extremely stressful when you're living from week to week.

I am sick of this attitude that unemployment/welfare in this country is some sort of paradise. Yes, for those who are abusing it and claiming fraudulently maybe it is (still a minority) - but the vast majority of "new" (as in the last 4/5 years) unemployed would do anything to get back to work - as in the case of the OP here - and are far from "living it up"!

(For the record I'm working myself and have been save for one year after being made redundant in 2009 - but that still doesn't entitle me to look down or belittle others who are less fortunate than I am. But for the whim of an employer, it's a position ANYONE could find themselves in tomorrow!)

Anyway, on topic..

Congrats on the offer OP. It's people like you who are willing to go the extra mile (literally!) to get back in the workforce that we (as in society in general) should be supporting.

thank you :) sure things will work out as they have to haha ;)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Point of order..

Anyway, on topic..

Nobody said anything else, and yes anyone can find themselves unemployed, it's not a nice place to be, and I agree it's almost impossible to have money put aside.

However when an opportunity like the OP's presents itself you grab it with both hands and do what you can, and more importantly don't ruin the opportunity before you start, by asking for relocation expenses etc. the first month will be tough, no one denies this, it'll be hand to mouth, probably staying on couches, but after the first payday, light will appear at the end of the tunnel, and then they can begin to plan for the future.

In fairness the OP recognises this and is going to go for it.

The only point made here from people in the position to give advice on this, is that a company going to work is different from welfare, you'll be rewarded when you work, but looking for handouts before you start will jeopardise your chances.

cordni wrote: »
    Unrealistic I'm afraid. The OP applied for a job in Cork, expenses relocating there would be his/her responsibility. Why don't you see if you can push out the start date a bit to give you more time to get organised?

that I tried. even one day later had worked out for me coz I took the odd coach tour as a tour guide before. I got offered a tour where I would come back just on the day the training starts. if I had been able to push it one day I could have done the tour which had been a bit money but the training starts on the 24th now. its a training class. im not the only one who starts then. the training just starts and I have to be there. I don't know when they do the next training class but it definitely could take quite a while. if I cant start on the 24th, no job :(

yes did you read mine

Yes, thank you. There wasn't anything to help the OP with though.

@fia79. I'm so glad you managed to get some help. Please PM me if you think I can help you further. Good luck! :D

Yes, thank you. There wasn't anything to help the OP with though.

@fia79. I'm so glad you managed to get some help. Please PM me if you think I can help you further. Good luck! :D

:) thanx. I have my wee plan in my head. doesn't mean it wont chance tomorrow hahaha but in the worst case, there are bridges in cork I could stay ;) only joking.

The Spider wrote: »

The only point made here from people in the position to give advice on this, is that a company going to work is different from welfare, you'll be rewarded when you work, but looking for handouts before you start will jeopardise your chances.

yes, im afraid its true. like I said, the company maybe don't mind but maybe they do mind. I wouldn't chance it unless there is absolutely no other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

First of all wish you all best in new job :)

any big company will know how hard it is relocate so may have a policy in place to help
    I dont see any problem asking about if they have one even if just to find place to live ( if big maybe even places offered on a noticeboard in canteen)
    Moving is 1 of the biggest things in your life so they should see why asking everyone likes check an area before move to it :)

I do agree not ask for a loan/sub may look a bit cheeky before you even start.

Maybe your son can finish his school year (stay with your mother) would help with expensive no new school stuff till September, gives u more time find a school and he wont be home alone with no friends in new place. Can put him in few clubs in summer to make friends and then will have afew starting in September ;)

Advertisement