Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horstmann E7 Quartz question

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, in my rent apartment I have a Horstmann E7 Quartz boiler. Today I made electricity readings and the consumption during last two month was:

Day: 1427 kWh
    Night: 264 kWh

With an estimated cost of 300€. I almost not use electrical heating, only during a week in this two month period. So I think cost is really expensive. kWh during day seems to high compared with night period. Below, there are two pics about my E7 front panel. I have no experience with boilers. So, could anyone confirm my ON and OFF period for boiler is correctly setting between 3am and 8am? Thank you.

1y7n.jpg
    to0i.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Hi.. it's something like that

I'm not certain from the dial

just turn the dial manually and you can easily confirm it

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jsianes

Hi,
    I moved the clock dial and it's ok: boiler start at 3am and end 8am. Problem is that, according to my day/night clock, night period start at 6pm and ends at 6am. I'm not sure how to change activity period in boiler, so I've moved clock 3 hours in the future to ensure boiler work from 0am to 5am period.

I hope this solve my problem with electricity because 300€ for two month period where I have put heating system only during a week I think it's too much money.

Thank you for help and any additional recommendation is welcome.

jsianes wrote: »
    Hi,
    I moved the clock dial and it's ok: boiler start at 3am and end 8am. Problem is that, according to my day/night clock, night period start at 6pm and ends at 6am. I'm not sure how to change activity period in boiler, so I've moved clock 3 hours in the future to ensure boiler work from 0am to 5am period.

I hope this solve my problem with electricity because 300€ for two month period where I have put heating system only during a week I think it's too much money.

Thank you for help and any additional recommendation is welcome.

6pm-6am is wrong anthow

if that's the case

do you have a picture of the clock timing to confirm it

Yes, here is:

c496.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's on at 11pm, Off at 8am,

Goes one hour later in Summer Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Zackdickensdog

The timeswitch should be set at
    Off 23 :00
    On 08:00
    You should ask the landlord or your electricity supplier to log a call to check or replace the timeswitch

You should ask the landlord or your electricity supplier to log a call to check or replace the timeswitch

So, basically, timeswitch is misconfigured? This could be the root cause of big kWh differences between day and night period?

:rolleyes:

The time switch is correct! (Obviously can't tell if it is at the right time of day, but the settings are right)

So, basically, timeswitch is misconfigured? This could be the root cause of big kWh differences between day and night period?

Thats how it looks to me.
    Im assuming its a sealed ESB time switch.

The time switch is correct! (Obviously can't tell if it is at the right time of day, but the settings are right)

I cant see the on tab at 08:00. Maybe its just the pic, also unless its just coincidence and the pic was taken at 8 am the clock may be stuck at that position

• Advertisement

Picture time: 22/01/2014 08:16h (8am:16min).

I can confirm timeswitch is working and, according with I saw yesterday, seems to be 15min delayed from current time.

time seems ok then.

Now check what meter reading is currently increasing, the day units or the night units.

Is it possible to take a pic of the meter st say 9:30 am ?

time seems ok then.

Now check what meter reading is currently increasing, the day units or the night units.

I'm not at home right now. I'll confirm as soon as I arrive. Thank you a lot for your help.

Yes, I can take a pic tomorrow.

the timeswitch looks ok anyhow

a pic of the meter?

if he just confirms the day/night meters are swopping over and back correctly morning/night according to the day/night readings on the utility bill..

a pic of the meter?

I think it's because he doesn't know if it says off or on underneath the "Time" arrow?
    As we can see two 'On's the hidden one must be 'Off'

As I previously suggested checking what meter is incrementing during the day would confirm correct operation of the timer, checking again at night would also be useful in case the meter isn't logging any night units at all (unlikely but possible).

has to be an 'off' doesn't it? we can see 2 'ons' and an 'off'

as you say it's only a matter of confirming changeover on meters and that it corresponds to billing

a pic of the meter?

if he just confirms the day/night meters are swopping over and back correctly morning/night according to the day/night readings on the utility bill..

Its just to confirm which rate is active at that time.

• Advertisement

Its just to confirm which rate is active at that time.

i'm prob missing the obvious.. but how can you tell from a pic?

i'm prob missing the obvious.. but how can you tell from a pic?

There is an indicator, its usually an arrow pointing at the active register.

Hi. Active counter at 16.00h is DAY. I´ll review tonight at 0.00h to see if it switch to night counter.

Hi. Active counter at 16.00h is DAY. I´ll review tonight at 0.00h to see if it switch to night counter.

you could also check that they correspond to the day and night on your bill

although it's unlikely there's any issue there

if all is well there you might need to look at usage during the peak time

Hi!

Long time since my last post. I come back here to resume the situation. Seems previous occupier left central heating connected. This was root cause of high bill. I´ve double check and my electricity counter is working correctly. Thank you a lot for your help during the process.

To avoid this kind of "surprises" in the future, I created a Excel sheet to register day/nigh usage values. It´s very useful to know how is going electricity usage and to detect spikes. The sheet is oriented to make bill estimations for Airtricity, my electricity company, but I think it could be easily modified for other companies. You only need to put date, day and night values and sheet will make all required calcs to estimate bill cost. In K column you can see your accumulate bill cost updated to the last day registered and in L column you can see how much are you going to pay (estimated value) in your next bill (60 days period) if you continue with current electricity usage. Feel free to download and use.

Because I´m a new user, I´m not allowed to post URL. So, please note there is a withe space between https and :// that need to be removed to make it works. Hope could be useful for you as it´s for me.

https ://db.tt/rv8QLYI3

Advertisement