Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal work Sydney

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey I am moving to Sydney in 6 weeks on a WHV, wondering what the legal market is like there, I have three years experience in Clinical Neg paralegal as well as being called in Dublin and London. All advice gratefully received, I seem to only know engineers, tradies and medical staff that have moved over from here and so they're no real help with sussing out what prospect I have of obtaining good legal work there.

Thanks!!
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hi Seena

I recently qualified as a solicitor in Sydney.

There is plenty of legal work in Sydney, once you have experience. Is your experience to date in plaintiff or defendant clinical negligence? You will pick up work on the plaintiff side quite easily.

This is also a great time of the year to be searching for work as most of the firms do their hiring in the first half of the year :)

The major issue will be the visa, that six month restriction isn't really that attractive to firms but at the same time, there are plenty of contract jobs.

Good luck on your search! You will love Sydney!

Linola

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seeanna

linola_c wrote: »
    Hi Seena

I recently qualified as a solicitor in Sydney.

There is plenty of legal work in Sydney, once you have experience. Is your experience to date in plaintiff or defendant clinical negligence? You will pick up work on the plaintiff side quite easily.

This is also a great time of the year to be searching for work as most of the firms do their hiring in the first half of the year :)

The major issue will be the visa, that six month restriction isn't really that attractive to firms but at the same time, there are plenty of contract jobs.

Good luck on your search! You will love Sydney!

Linola

Thanks linola, great to hear something positive! All I have heard is that unless your a property paralegal you may forget about it! My experience is mostly defence so I hope that doesn't set me back much, I would idealy like to work in that area still, I do realise that it won't be easy and I will get out what I put in, the six month thing is a real pain. Would you reccomend recruitment agencies then 're securing contract legal work?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Yes of course, recruitment is big business! Personal injury is also huge here, in fact defendant insurance litigation is the area I am in.

I don't think you will have any problem, it will probably take a few weeks to settle in but we have someone temping with us at the moment who was given a three day assignment and is still with us a few months later!

Be prepared to pick up what you can and you will be fine! You sound like you have solid experience so shouldn't be an issue at all.

Enjoy Sydney!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

If you're just looking for work to get you through your WHV you could always try temping as a legal secretary/PA or taking on a contract role as same. Keep an eye on Seek and send your CV through to any agency which you like the look of on Seek and see what's available. Good luck!

Advertisement