Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭

The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the important to you and that you would like to see your local candidates address?
    If someone knocked on your door looking for your vote, what would you ask them? What local issues affect you? Do you think local government is effective? Are you satisfied with your current local government? What can a candidate do to win your support?

Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face the Westmeath area and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

We'd like this thread to focus on the issues you feel are important in your area, as such, if you wish to debate an issue raised by another poster, please create a separate thread in the Westmeath forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

I'm not expecting anyone to knock on my door but I'd like to ask him/her if they can help a family member with a planning issue and then follow up with a query on corruption in local politics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This is a tad parish pump, but it will be what gets my vote...

Lights around Monksland area - theres a significant area of the jogging lap that needs them badly. Also the gap between Danesfort and Cluainn Broc and numerous other areas there.

Pushing Alkermes and other large companies locally to give more fulltime contracts, ive seen a lot of people being let go after 6 months (subsidised to a large extent by guess who). If they have no intention of keeping these people, they should be told to fk off next time they claim from IDA.

Dropping rates in town to keep a few businesses going there. It worked for BnQ. Places like Irishtown are crying out for that sort of initiative.

While on the subject of Irishtown, either bulldoze or do up the multi story car park.

Finally, the waterfront buildings need a good lick of paint. The good work done ~10 years back needs following up on. Tourism in town is quite good these days; a better waterfront would up these numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 dec dunne

A unelected candidate will get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We had one to the door, we pointed out local issues to us like empty shops etc in the town and the speed of cars through our estate and the road beside the estate - luckily a car flew by while they were at the door so they could see it first hand.
    Don't know what they said back or what great policies they had - was my husband who spoke with them.

All others have just shoved leaflets through the door during the day when they know no-one will be home to ask them questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

my issues are relating around a planning dispute and helping a neightbour resolve ongoing flood problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Law and order is the number one priority. At the moment the thieving scumbags are running riot and the Gardai aren't able to stop them. On the rare occassion that the Gardai do manage to make arrests the court sentences are a sick joke.

Advertisement