Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭

The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the important to you and that you would like to see your local candidates address?
    If someone knocked on your door looking for your vote, what would you ask them? What local issues affect you? Do you think local government is effective? Are you satisfied with your current local government? What can a candidate do to win your support?

Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face the Longford area and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

We'd like this thread to focus on the issues you feel are important in your area, as such, if you wish to debate an issue raised by another poster, please create a separate thread in the Longford forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

had my first canvasser yesterday. Asked him what issues he was running on and got the reply "improve the town and, you know, local issues"
    Okay I'm paraphrasing and he might have said a little more but that was the vibe I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

I remember I had a canvasser a good few years ago. He was running for the first time.

He told me that this councillor lark was a great gig. All the allowances, postage, phone etc. The fat pension. He then proceeded to ask me if I could count on my vote!!

As bad as that is, he went on to get elected!! True to my expectations, he didn't do a single thing while he was a councillor. I don't think I ever saw his name on the paper or on the radio. I'm sure he took the time to collect all the money though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Waste and corruption.
    A former mayor (Town, County, other small town, who can keep track?) has twice gotten off on technicalities from being caught drink driving.
    We have had and still have Mayors who are incapable of a coherent public speech which is pretty much all they are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

LizT wrote: »
    The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the important to you and that you would like to see your local candidates address?
    If someone knocked on your door looking for your vote, what would you ask them? What local issues affect you? Do you think local government is effective? Are you satisfied with your current local government? What can a candidate do to win your support?

Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.
    Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face the Longford area and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on. .

The issue I have with local politicians of Government parties is that, while they may play the ''keep it local'' card on the doorsteps as it suits them, they ultimately support and give their allegiance to their political masters in Leinster House, therefore I feel its wholly appropriate that they be questioned and challenged on national policies (implemented by their friends in high places) which have caused untold hardship and misery for not just the people of this county but nationally.
    Think of it ............ the closing Post Offices, Garda Stations, the inferior roads, property tax, reduced funding on health, upcoming water tax, dodgy planning decisions, reduced Home Support and Special Needs Assistant hours etc etc not to mention the arrogance and ''let them eat cake'' attitude of some of our leaders, our beggaring taxes not spent locally or even nationally but to bail out German Bankers ??? All these issues , while national in aspect are local in consequence and its a clever cop out on local councillors part to want to keep the debate around parochial non issues. If they stand on a national party ticket be it FG/FF/Labour/SF or whatever, they are accountable for whats happening our country and no point in trying to sidestep their party colours when it suits then!
    Time to ask some hard questions of our local councillors wherever we live and respond accordingly folks !! I would add that, while I no longer live in my native county, I do like to keep up with happenings there and also to point out that I have no political allegiances and not sure if I'm bothered about voting on the day ...nothing changes !

• Registered Users Posts: 23 John the baptist

On a very basic level i'll be asking the FG candidates if they think theirparty college is doing a good job representing the county of Longford in the Dail. It won’tgive me any feedback on any particular issues but it should let me know if theycan be truthful or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I have answered the door to two.

1. Connellan. He listened, told me he'd get back to me, and then was seen no more

2. Ní Murchú. She told me 'I know, I spell my name in a longwinded way'. I said, 'Thanks Ms. Murphy'.

I have had a few other leaflets thrown in the door.

I had one leaflet thrown in my door where he used my name on the leaflet. I'm still trying to figure out whether he breached data laws in obtaining my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

sopretty wrote: »
    I have answered the door to two.

1. Connellan. He listened, told me he'd get back to me, and then was seen no more

2. Ní Murchú. She told me 'I know, I spell my name in a longwinded way'. I said, 'Thanks Ms. Murphy'.

I have had a few other leaflets thrown in the door.

I had one leaflet thrown in my door where he used my name on the leaflet. I'm still trying to figure out whether he breached data laws in obtaining my name.

I think most of them use the Electoral Register and /or local knowledge for mail shot & canvassing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

"Do you know who I am, you can't do me for drink driving", Top quality politicians we lucky Longford people have. I'll be disgusted if he gets elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

I am affiliated to the James Morgan Campaign for the Bye-election.

I have been doing a few videos for James, filming a few people in the community, letting them have their say. You can find them on his FB page.

Although I only spent about 5 hours on the street, I got a sense that people fitted into two groups, they either were dis-engaged and didn't care or they had a few choice words for the establishment.

The reason I got involved was I had a deep feeling that Longford was getting a raw deal, Seamus Butler (FF candidate for Local Elections) has been saying that Longford needs to do it for themselves. Perhaps having a TD on our side would help us bring IDA to Longford to bring business and Jobs, Encourage investment in our County, Bring Tourism Ireland in with their many visitors to bring in extra cash. These are all things other counties received, in fact our neighbour and other half of our constituency received.

For once, Longford needs to not be left behind, not be bottom of the pile, left in the dark.

The questions for the Local elections are simply, what are you going to bring into the local area? What time frame? How you going to do it?

My questions for National candidates are?

Why hasn't your TD for our constituency done more for Longford? Do they know where it is?
    What are you going to do for Longford? When? and how?

For each political party candidate I would ask:

FF : Why did your party choose a candidate in Westmeath rather than Longford when you already have a Westmeath TD? Do you feel you have let the county down again?

FG: When are you getting a Longford candidate that does something for Longford?

Labour: Are you from Longford? Why have you let FG get away with it?

Ind: Are you from Longford? Do you have Longford priorities at heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

Is there anything to be done for lowering rates for business premises in town? It is genuinely depressing seeing all the boarded up places, and new shops closing down after a few months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement