Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well I have to say that this thread was a roaring success.

One day to go before the polls open and not one candidate has been seen on this thread.

As for the candidates who called to my door, what a joke.

Charlie Murphy didn't know who we were.
    Arthur McDonald wanted to know what milage we were getting from our car. I actually saw him twice yesterday using his mobile phone while driving.
    PJ Kavanagh figures that because my grandfather voted FF I will do the same.
    Willie Quinn decided to send his sister out to deliver leaflets rather than do it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Those that called to me in Carlow town seemed to be more concerned with how they would address national rather than local issues. Austerity, bank debt, bankers, water charges blah blah blah.

Would rather they had addressed the issue of anti social behaviour in my neighbourhood mainly from people living in council houses.

I live in a RAS house and only one candidate seemed interested in the fact that my landlord was refusing to fix the heating or put a lock on my front door.

She ll be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Owryan wrote: »
    Those that called to me in Carlow town seemed to be more concerned with how they would address national rather than local issues. Austerity, bank debt, bankers, water charges blah blah blah.

308070.png

This is quiet a good summary of the above comment from you, the councillors are all on about the stuff they have under their control when they have called to our door.

slightly off topic but is anybody else fed the f up with getting the european candidates leaflets in the post! there has to be some way of removing your consent for that type of mailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well I know 2 candidates will get their hand slapped for sending stuff in oireachtas envelopes other then that charlie murphy was the only one who called

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No-one rang our door,even when we were here, leaflets pushed through door even when we were here.

• Advertisement

Only recieved literature from the "protest" candidates ie DDI, AAA today. No canvassers at all called from their side.

Have to say i'm meh about the eu election, dont have much hope in the local elections either. Same old faces with the same old platitudes.

The town needs some new energy, how long has tullow st been neglected?

They may have limited powers but for f**k sake crottys has been eyesore for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've been getting the leaflets for both local and EU elections.

Only one candidate bothered to ring the door bell and I've been at home most evenings for the last couple of weeks.

I've no idea who or where they're canvassing, though I have seen a few of the cars around the place over the last few days.

A lot of the election leaflets looked similar and I seem to have got 5 or 6 in a single day. Maybe they're canvassing when I'm out at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Four candidates round here canvassing: Tom Kinsella, Arthur McDonald, PJ Kavanagh and Charlie Murphy. No sign of the Labour crowd, though that was no surprise seeing as I'm directly in one of the proposed pylon corridors. SF never canvass in this area. Where have the Greens gone, still hiding since 2011??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Did arthur get out of the car? Called to 2 sets of in-laws and talked out the window instead of getting out.........lazy flucker

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

Well, I voted anyway. 'Didn't exactly wear out the pencil in doing so either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

racso1975 wrote: »
    Did arthur get out of the car? Called to 2 sets of in-laws and talked out the window instead of getting out.........lazy flucker

No.

Voted earlier, seemed lively enough. Now the waiting begins..............the excitement not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I watched my Mam vote which I thought wasn't allowed but they people didn't seem to mind.

Anyone vote for Anne Ahern? She was my year head :P

Was expecting to see faces I recognised but then I remember I live in Graigue so they were all Laois people!

I however consider myself to be from Carlow.

I watched my Mam vote which I thought wasn't allowed but they people didn't seem to mind.

Anyone vote for Anne Ahern? She was my year head :P

Was expecting to see faces I recognised but then I remember I live in Graigue so they were all Laois people!

I however consider myself to be from Carlow.

J Murnane, D Hurley, D Alcock are from Graigue and running in Carlow.

My 5yo put my ballots in the box, one of the officials? said something the other but the otherjust laughed.

J Murnane, D Hurley, D Alcock are from Graigue and running in Carlow.

My 5yo put my ballots in the box, one of the officials? said something the other but the otherjust laughed.

I know all 3 of those politicians! I consider Graigue to be in Carlow so it's a pain voting for Laois politicians ye don't even know!

Even the little polling card said Carlow on it.

I was surprised how unofficial it was, like it was just a few old women sitting at a table marking people off a list and giving them a piece of paper.

Very weird I thought.

I know all 3 of those politicians! I consider Graigue to be in Carlow so it's a pain voting for Laois politicians ye don't even know!

Even the little polling card said Carlow on it.

I was surprised how unofficial it was, like it was just a few old women sitting at a table marking people off a list and giving them a piece of paper
    Very weird I thought.

What were you expecting? Scanners, armed security, strippers? Lol. Actually the latter would help voter turnout

Edit: saying graigue is in carlow is heresy to some people. Im from graigue and consider it Laois

What were you expecting? Scanners, armed security, strippers? Lol. Actually the latter would help voter turnout

Well yeah, kinda.

Definitely not pop up stands with pencils tied to the top of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Edit: saying graigue is in carlow is heresy to some people. Im from graigue and consider it Laois

The triangle is Carlow. Far into Laois has a postal address of Carlow like Ballickmoyler for example.

I remember when the presidential election was on my address ended with
    Co Laois
    Co Carlow
    Even the polling card from yesterday said Carlow on it, not Laois.
    The GAA is Laois but yet Ivy Rooms, Dunnes and even when the Dome was there are all Carlow.

It's just matter of opinion really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

racso1975 wrote: »

Heh, heh, yeah, up to the door, even told me I was a distant relation! Like that was going to impress me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

J Murnane-OConnor FF, J Cassin SF and J Pender FF all elected on first count in Carlow/Tullow area. Quota is 1067

BobuI4EIAAABorH_zps0509be67.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

J Murnane-OConnor FF, J Cassin SF and J Pender FF all elected on first count in Carlow/Tullow area.

Thanks Owryan, anywhere to see these updates live? Nothing on Irish Times or RTE, cheers.

dublincelt wrote: »
    Thanks Owryan, anywhere to see these updates live? Nothing on Irish Times or RTE, cheers.

Im following KCLR on twitter, actually pretty good for updates

For anyone in the Bagnelstown area, heres the 3rd count as of app 23:00hrs

Bobfdh6IIAAxhJ7_zpsefd87e58.jpg

second count in Carlow. F Phelan FF elected

BocDLe0CQAEm5Eb_zpsc4aeac69.jpg

second count in Carlow. F Phelan FF elected

BocDLe0CQAEm5Eb_zpsc4aeac69.jpg
    How are you getting these may I ask?

It's interesting how Anne Aherns name is spelt Ann but in school it's Anne! :P

Just something I noticed.

What does it mean by sitting?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it's from Kclr's Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I see Jennifer Murnane O'Connor's investment in campaign posters paid off then . . .

Morf wrote: »
    I see Jennifer Murnane O'Connor's investment in campaign posters paid off then . . .

They're everywhere!

I think it's terrible how they're allowed to just slap their face anywhere and everywhere to get some votes.

Have you seen the little shop she has near Graigue bridge?

Nothing but her face all over the window outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

What does it mean by sitting?

AFAIK sitting refers to the candidates who already had seats on the council. ie, Cassin, Murnane, and Pender, have kept their seats whereas Phelan is a new councillor and obtains a new seat. Some will obviously lose their seats as they won't be reellected

• Advertisement

Jennifer Murnane is one of FF's hopes for a seat in the next GE. She's a consistent poll topper and dispite the FF toxicity factor her vote has held steady.

One a few occassions she has appeared beside John mcGuinness in Kilkenny so it appears they are going to try their best to win back a seat in CW/KK. Not hard to see the strategy, "keep a td in Carlow" and get as many 2nd/3rd pref from kk as poss.

Back to the local election, Lab will be lucky to keep 2 of their 3 seats and sf look likely to get a 2nd.

FG'S B oDonoghue elected during the night. 5 seats left to be filled and count starts at 10am.

Advertisement