Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Election Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I remember when the presidential election was on my address ended with
    Co Laois
    Co Carlow
    Even the polling card from yesterday said Carlow on it, not Laois.
    The GAA is Laois but yet Ivy Rooms, Dunnes and even when the Dome was there are all Carlow.

It's just matter of opinion really.

Depends on how quickly you want to get your post :)

We pay rates to Laois, but all our postal mail (for the office) gets addressed to Carlow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Blacknight wrote: »
    Depends on how quickly you want to get your post :)

We pay rates to Laois, but all our postal mail (for the office) gets addressed to Carlow

You're only about a 2 minute walk away from me as I live beside Dunne's.

I write Carlow as my address as it is nearly always on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Cobs

The few seats for the Carlow I think will go like this, Jim Dean SF,Anne Ahern FF,Walter Lacey,Non-P,William Paton Lab and Fergal Browne FG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Cobs wrote: »
    The few seats for the Carlow I think will go like this, Jim Dean SF,Anne Ahern FF,Walter Lacey,Non-P,William Paton Lab and Fergal Browne FG.

Obviously being my former year head I hope Anne Ahern gets in, and Jennifer Murnane as well.

Well so far these are the people that are elected for the Carlow area Jennifer Murnane-O'Conner FF,John Pender FF,John Cassin SF,Fintan Phelan FF and Brian O'Donoghue FG.

• Advertisement

These are the full elected candidates for the Muinebeag area Charlie Murphy Non P,Tommy Kinsella FG,Willie Quinn LB,Andy Gladney SF,Arthur McDonald FF,Michael Doran FG,John Murphy FG and Denis Foley FG.

Will keep up dates as the come in.

Jim Dean SF has been elected in Carlow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Cobs wrote: »
    Jim Dean SF has been elected in Carlow area.
    Read somewhere he'd been eliminated, are you sure?

No Jim Dean is in, and also on the last count of the evening Walter Lacey, Anne Ahern, Fergal Browne and William Patton were elected into the Carlow area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Carlow County Council (18/18 seats)
    Carlow (10 seats available) – Jennifer Murnane O’Connor (FF), John Pender (FF), John Cassin (SF), Fintan Phelan (FF), Brian O’Donoghue (FG) Jim Deane (SF) Ann Ahern (FF) Fergal Browne (FG) Walter Lacey (Ind) William Paton (Lab) Filled
    Muinebeag (8) - Charlie Murphy (Ind), Tommy Kinsella (FG), Willie Quinn (Lab), Andy Gladney (SF), Arthur McDonald (FF), Denis Foley (FG), John Murphy (FG), Michael Doran (FG) Filled

thejournal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Jimmy Townsend and Caroline Townsend.......wtf were they thinking saying that they supported the pylons.

Talking about political suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

This is the problem with politics whether it is local or national: tell them what they want to hear to get the vote and to hell with the truth as vocalised recently by Pat Rabbitt.

They all claim to be against the pylons but any of them that engaged with me had no idea how to raise the extra capital needed to facilitate putting them underground - except of course for the usual pillocks who said it wouldn't cost more.

So bottom line is tell the truth don't get elected or lie and get elected and by the time the public realise you sold them a pig in the poke you'll have your various financial entitlements so it really doesn't matter and you won't be accountable in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Jimmy Townsend and Caroline Townsend.......wtf were they thinking saying that they supported the pylons.

Talking about political suicide.

It's a shame that putting the needs of the greater over the fewer and being socially responsible is political suicide these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Morf wrote: »
    It's a shame that putting the needs of the greater over the fewer and being socially responsible is political suicide these days.

Are you making assumptions perhaps? There would be a good many people who'd be opposed to these giant pylons and associated giant industrial wind machines who are not directly affected by their location. Maybe those politicians who opposed pylons were listening to the public at large?

If you want to see something of the effect of pylons on a rural landscape, you don't have to travel too far. I was very struck again recently by the visual impact of the pylons that march down the Kings River valley from Turlough Hill near Wicklow Gap in Co.Wicklow. I think these were erected in the 1970s and forty years hasn't done much to disguise them.

What's currently proposed would make these look small.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Morf wrote: »

Do you even know what you are talking about? Do you know the purpose for these pylons?

Advertisement